Mobile menu

Receiving too many forum notifications. 200 a day!
Thread poster: Marta Fernandez-Suarez
Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
English to Spanish
Aug 18, 2006

Hello

I hope nobody feels offended by what I am going to say.

I find Proz forums very interesting and I found out always lots of interesting and useful new things. This is the reason why I set my notificatings so that I would receive a notification of all postings (also because that means not having to open the link sometimes).

However, I seem to be getting lately about 200 notifications of postings a day! In some forums, I receive up to 10 notifications from the same person (because s/he makes one posting to answer one participant, another to answer another person, and so on).

I did not know you could receive postings untill 2 weeks ago (still becoming familiar with Proz site), and I guess the people who do this may not know either.

Please, colleagues, try to be

succint, down to the point and summarize what you sometimes may write in different postings into one.

Also, once at it, try not to be so angry and give more constructive criticism, as the air is not turning blue in some postings, it is turning purple!

I hope this helps to people who are in the same situation as me.

Thank you very very very much in advance.

Nice weekend!

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-18 16:08]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-08-18 16:47]

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:34
Danish to English
+ ...
postings Aug 18, 2006

Marta,

I suggest you are more selective in your choice of the amount of postings you want to receive. You have full control over that through your own proz.com page, at least I have through my own been able to control the notifications I receive. The new system is still a bit rough, but it works. Postings can be turned off, then when you want to read some go to proz.com and choose what you want.

Yes, some people a longwinded, but that often happens with frustration, sadness, happiness, irritation, etc. when feelings need to be aired out.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:34
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Some suggestions Aug 18, 2006

Dear Marta,

I follow several postings, and moderate 3 of them, and I'm not overwhelmed by notifications. I'm definitely not receiving 200 notifications per day.
The secret is perhaps in using at the best all the possibilities offered by the notification service and site structure. Try the following, and combine the suggestions as they suit your needs:

1. Optimize your notifications

• Identify the forums that you want to follow more closely, and ask notifications only for them.

• For some forums, do not set a notifications for every posting, but only for "New threads"

• If the initial thread looks interesting, on the top right corner, you can set a notification for all postings of that thread only, without setting up them for the whole forum.

2. Browse without notifications

• You can browse a forum without any notification, just reading the thread titles and visiting only the threads that you are following. No notifications at all in this case.

• You can follow all forums, again browsing a single page, from the titles listed in the "Recent posts" page. Again, an efficient method that do not require any notification.

3. Manage the notifications in your email client

• If your email client has a filtering feature, setup a filter to move all notifications generated by the ProZ.com forums into a dedicated folder, so that other email traffic is not buried by them.

bye
    Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-18 16:24]

• Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    thanks but Aug 18, 2006

Hi

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll definitively take them on board. However, I do know how it works, I know I could select less of them or just opt for "topics" instead of "postings", but I am interested in all! (actually in all the postings of the 15 forums I chose).

This is more a petition to all prozians to be more concise more than anything. Some will not like it, some will find it useful I guess.

I'll cut it short.

Thank you very much.

Regards

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-18 21:20]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
    Canada
    Local time: 07:34
    English to French
    + ...
    Notifications can be more of a hassle than useful Aug 18, 2006

As a seasoned ProZ forum user, here are my thoughts on notifications:

I used to have notifications and found I was receiving more notifications than I could handle. I skimmed down my list of notifications, and soon after, I turned them off altogether. Getting notifications can be really counterproductive. Now, what I do is visit the forum when I have time (for instance, when I take a break from work or on days off) and check all recent postings. I bookmark discussions I find interesting and want to get back to later.

I view the forum as a big house party. In the house, there are many rooms, and in each room, there is a passionate discussion going on. When I feel like it, I get off the sofa and walk over to the room where I know there is something interesting being discussed. When I am myself busy speaking to someone (read: translating), I don't go to other rooms to hear what they are discussing - I am already busy with something else. When I get bored and have nothing to do, I go either to rooms I've been to before and want to check the progress of the discussion, or I walk through the house to find other rooms worth taking a look at.

Thus, notifications are a little like a frind who goes to the party with you and keeps coming back to you, nagging, telling you that so and so is speaking about such and such subject in such and such room. It's a pain in the butt!

It's best not to use notifications at all - it can get very hard to manage. Instead, why not simply bookmark interesting discussions and visit them when we have time, and also check the ProZ homepage for the most recent topics - these are all forums without discrimination, so you can really see what's new in the forum at a glance. At least, this is what works best for me - maybe you should give it a try. By the way, for the same reason, I also turned job notifications off.

As for etiquette, well, it's the same as in real life - except it's nastier, as we are not speaking face to face and there is a next to none possibility we will ever meet these people, so we can allow ourselves to be much more rude. I don't agree with this, and I have a list of people - just in my memory - who are agressive forum participants. I find a lot of people saying things like 'you are wrong' whereas they could also just say 'I don't agree'. Alas, I don't think anything can be done about this (you are not the first one to ask people for temperance, and probably not the last) except doing our personal best to not take part in such aggressive conversations, or at least show a good example. It's much like society: we can't change the others, but we can ourselves be good citizens. Just ignore those who are aggressive and let them cook in their own juice.

As for summarizing, well, it's hard to do. These are basically conversations and sometimes, we forget about a detail that we only remember later, and that's when we add it. Of course, for a couple of hours after the posting was made, we can edit existing posts - but then, nobody will notice what we added, because they are all looking for the new posts. So, if you want your idea to be seen, you have to make a new post.

I do agree on one thing: some people repeat what other have said before just to say that they agree. An agree would have been sufficient, and there is no need to write five paragraphs to paraphrase another user. But like I said, it's a swordblow in water (as francophones would say) - most likely nobody will listen to the advice.

I think it's best to simply consult the forum when you have time and leave the notifications alone - they can really be counterproductive, and in my case, they were real little vampires.

I hope you will eventually have a pleasant time in the forum!

gianfranco  Identity Verified
    Brazil
    Local time: 08:34
    Member (2001)
    English to Italian
    + ...
    Isn't that contradictory...? Aug 18, 2006

Marta Fernandez-Suarez wrote:

snip ....but I am interested in all!

This is more a petition to all prozians to be more concise more than anything. Some will not like it, some will find it useful I guess.

.sinp.

Well, if you are interested in all forums it is probably because they are lively, members are posting, and their postings are interesting, therefore your appeal to post less often is in contradiction with your interest in these exchanges...

Probably you would be better off just browsing, as you did until 2 weeks ago, and dispense entirely with the notifications... instead of appealing to cut down on those interesting postings

bye
    Gianfranco

[Edited at 2006-08-18 18:54]

Woodstock  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Local time: 13:34
    German to English
    + ...
    I don't think anyone - or perhaps only few - will be offended. Aug 18, 2006

The reason is that I don't think that enough of the more than 140,000 ProZ members will look at this thread to make a difference. Most threads get between 100 - 300 views, a very few get up to 1,000 views and even fewer more than that.

So instead of trying to change the way thousands of people who use these fora to exchange information write here - which has zero chance of success in any case, it might make more sense to try to change your method of prioritizing, so that you don't feel compelled to read every word written here.

Good luck,
    Woodstock

United Kingdom
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    agree with changing notification options, mood swings Aug 18, 2006

Hello

Ok, in line with what I suggest, I'll answer you in just one posting and with no quotes, which is actually not very difficult.

Hi Woodstock,
    you seem to have answered three things:

- one, that my intention is to try and change the way "thousands of people" post in forums and that (second) this will have "zero chance of success". My answer: I'm not as ambitious as that, but no hurt in trying to improve things. Second answer: I could not care less about its sucess.

I try mainly for this reason, and, no matter the slim sucess this may have, I think it is worth trying:
    It is the bad mood issue, the turning the air blue, etc., I meant that, sometimes I wake up in a very good mood, and I read some of the postings, and I'm not in a good mood anymore. Should forum participants let themselves be carried away in such a way that they make others angry or more pessimistic than they should be? Pleaseeee!

- that I should change my method of prioritizing. Ok, thank you for this one -already suggested by Gianfranco and Viktoria-. You all have convinced my, with the reasonings and your experiences, that this is the main problem.

Gianfranco, thank you also. I'm not asking for people to write less, but - to mention an example- some postings have unneccessary quotes in them and people do not have all day to read postings. The quote option is especially usefull when you are, let's say, in page 3 and want to touch upon something in page 1; not quite sure when you are mentioning a point which is just above.

Viktoria, you allow me to read your answer in a light, confortable and good mood. Thanks God for that! You have answered to all my points and understood what I meant. Now, I'll follow the sound advice you guys (the three of you) gave me and turn all forums notifications off, despite risking missing out on some info (that is where I was too ambitious).

Have a nice cool weekend,

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-18 21:13]

[Edited at 2006-08-19 17:00]

[Edited at 2006-08-19 17:01]

xxxIreneN
    United States
    Local time: 06:34
    English to Russian
    + ...
    ?????? Aug 20, 2006

My answer: I'm not as ambitious as that, but no hurt in trying to improve things. Second answer: I could not care less about its sucess.

Marta, forgive me but what are we talking about then?

Also, how exactly are we supposed to know what puts you in a bad mood? Non-compliance with your personal attitude and definitions of "concise", "productive" etc? You are charging us with questionable and likely unrealistic task... There are too many of us, all so different, tough and opinionated:-) Otherwise we would not have made it in this profession! We all stand for politeness and good manners, but this is also a fora for creative people possessing some temper as all creative people do. Some, for one, might enjoy hot and open discussions where the measure of tolerance is arguable within reason. It is hard to accomodate overly touchy people in such highly dynamic environment. Please, the latter is only an argument, not a personal judgment. By virtue of our trade, we are in continuous search of the truth, and we are always ready to argue:-) I couldn't help noticing that you do not take opposite opinions too light:-) while the answer, which I quoted from, was very calm and reasonable in my opinion.

What about morning newspapers:-)?

Nerves of steel are an integral part of our trade. Join the crowd!

Best,
    Irene

United Kingdom
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    enough, not worth it Aug 20, 2006

Hi Irene

Your answer happens to be an example of the type of answer I, and I'm sure other people also, don't like. Mainly because you are taking the point to a personal level, and aiming in a personal level also.

I am talking about being less opinionated when being so implies being subjective. I'm talking about expressing opinions that are relevant in a concise unafected manner and with the politenes required in a professional.

I do not understand why you are talking about the personal qualities that this job requires. Do you presume you can work out my way of being from my postings in this forum and, what is more, how good I am at my proffession? I cannot understand why you are attacking me personally, I am not attacking anybody in particular and I think what I ask is easy to understand and reasonable.

Anyway, I'm by now pretty fed up about proz forums and your posting is just another example that the whole thing is not worth it!

Bye,

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-20 09:12]

[Edited at 2006-08-20 09:13]

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Local time: 13:34
    German to English
    + ...
    It doesn't seem that bad to me. Aug 20, 2006

I receive forum notifications only when I want them, i.e., I've adjusted the settings according to my personal preferences.

Hi Irene

Your answer happens to be an example of the type of answer I, and I'm sure other people also, don't like.

Dear Marta,

I sympathize with your position, but I—and many others, I'm sure—actually quite enjoy Irene's posts. They tend to enliven the discussion.

I'm talking about expressing opinions that are relevant in a concise unafected manner and with the politenes required in a professional.

What is your definition of ‘concise:’ less than ten lines; no more than twenty? I would say that at least two of your posts exceed what I, personally, would define as ‘concise.’

But then again, that is only my opinion—nothing more. (As far as I'm concerned, you may post anything you'd like, and it may be as long as you'd like.)

Anyway, I'm by now pretty fed up about proz forums and your posting is just another example that the whole thing is not worth it!

Bye,

Marta

That is unfortunate; I, too, get fed up occasionally. I've found that taking a small break (and turning off or adjusting the settings for the notifications) from the fora often does wonders. That might be something to consider.

Kind regards,

Derek

xxxIreneN
    United States
    English to Russian
    + ...
    Dear Marta, for what it's worth, I apologize:-) Aug 20, 2006

Not a word had been aimed at you personally, except for some straightforward questions derived directly from your post, which was inevitable. Discussions always revolve around different yet personal opinions, how else could it be? Some clients could be much worse than myself:-). We deal with other people, sometimes wishing we could strangle them... but we need to keep our checks coming so we handle them:-). For better or for worse, we depend on the outside world and t is not always pretty. Please, stay with us and again, join the crowd of survivors! For the life in me, when and how did I undermind your professioinalism?

I bet ya, it's worth it. Frankly, Kudoz part has very little value to me in terms of points or money-making, you can see that my availability is always red for another month ahead, but Proz forums are priceless - anything from learning things that make me exclaim "God, it's unbelievable what people know and share!" or "Damn, I wish I possessed his/her written English skills!" to the gift of making new friends all over the world. In 2 months I'll be meeting 2 Spanish colleagues whom I only know through Proz fora so far, and this party is of no less importance to me than seeing Barcelona and Madrid for the first time. We intend to have a blast:-) If I'm not mistaken, I remember some small arguments in the beginning:-) Same happened in Russia, England, Belgium, France, and my incoming email account extentions point at at least 7 more countries. Believe me, it's worth it! Sometime next year I'll be partying with Russian-born prozians in Malta. They keep talking me into diving... Who knows... I never went farther than snorkeling before. Another thing to learn through Proz! How about that:-)

Sincerely,
    Irene

xxxIreneN
    United States
    English to Russian
    + ...
    Thanks, Derek! Aug 20, 2006

United Kingdom
    English to Spanish
    TOPIC STARTER
    misinterpretations and overinterpretations Aug 21, 2006

hello all

I'm not going to go into details, but I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have answered.

It seems that what I wrote is misinterpreted and taken to "the too general" or to the "too personal". The discussion, as I saw it, was meant to be about two particular points

- email notifications options for forums, eg.: how to know about new answers to very old threads without using the notification for all postings option?

- asking for a more pleasant atmosphere in forums. Something which is not as easy as one might think, after all, 90% of communication is body language and in forums this percentage is missing, thus communication becomes far harder!

All can be taken to the more personal if one wants, but there is no need for it (most of the times). Irene, I never said you undermine my professionalism, where did you get this from? Dereck, I never said I did not like Irene's postings, either. Irene, you, like so many other people, have said many interesting and helpful things in the forums.

Thank you for your answers. I say bye to anyone who decides to read this, as I do not intend (and this thread is not the only reason) to ever write in the Proz forums again (probably neither in any Internet forum). Keep up the good work and thank you.

Kindest regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2006-08-21 09:28]

[Edited at 2006-08-21 09:41]

[Edited at 2006-08-21 09:46]

[Edited at 2006-08-21 12:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving too many forum notifications. 200 a day!

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
    WordFinder
    The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs