Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Why did a thread get locked simply to avoid mentioning amounts?
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Actually I was in bed ... so no patrolling day and night Feb 24, 2007

Thank you everyone for your concern about why this thread was locked.

I may have misunderstood past indications on site policy - if so, I'm sure Site Staff will disabuse me.

In other words, I understood that we cannot really say to people "You must charge 15 dollars an hour for a doing this" or "The going rate is 25 euros a page".
Like saying "shoes cost 50 pounds". Some do, some don't.
Cauliflower was going at 78 eurocents a kilo in my local supermarket y
... See more
Thank you everyone for your concern about why this thread was locked.

I may have misunderstood past indications on site policy - if so, I'm sure Site Staff will disabuse me.

In other words, I understood that we cannot really say to people "You must charge 15 dollars an hour for a doing this" or "The going rate is 25 euros a page".
Like saying "shoes cost 50 pounds". Some do, some don't.
Cauliflower was going at 78 eurocents a kilo in my local supermarket yesterday. Do colleagues all over the world expect to pay that for their caulis, because a ProZ.com member says so?
It's not for me or anyone else to make that declaration.

That has always been my understanding and that is always how I have managed my forum.
I may or may not agree with that position but it is what I have understood.
If this is not the case then I would welcome input from site staff in this respect.
I have not stopped people from discussing rates - I have requested that actual amounts not be posted.

Moreover, as far as that particular forum was concerned, if I had intended to gag the user, I would never have made the post public, would I? I made the user's request public and simply requested, in public, that rates suggestions be made privately - because in the past actual figures have been mentioned openly and it was clear that it might resemble "price fixing".

I never make a decision without considering the whys and wherefores, and the fallout. My decisions are not always popular, but I can assure you that they are honest decisions and have no hidden agenda.

For PMA, who says "It looks there is an army of moderators patrolling the site day and night with their finger on the trigger... that is my feeling, and that is definitely not what I would expect for my membership money."
That's a sad generalization you make and I might observe that I see lots of members who are doing something very similar ... patrolling the site to pick up on any little thing they might start a fuss about. Do you disagree?
It's also sorry thanks to people like myself, who unstintingly offer free support and advice to all colleagues both in public and in private, to be assessed as power-mad dictators at the drop of a hat. How would you like to be told that by total strangers?
"Thank you moderator" every now and again might be welcome, instead of ongoing accusations of bad faith and aggressive attitude. Have you any idea how difficult it is to walk the moderator line here, with all the different languages and cultures and personalities on this site?

For Viktoria:
"I am, by the way, still waiting for an explanation. I also hope we will not get the first explanation from Henry or Enrique, for once. As a grown-up, the moderator in question should be able to explain her actions."

I must say Viktoria, that I take objection to your tone here and in the statement that regards Enrique possibly bringing me to task about my failure to reply in real time.
Especially as you and I have no past contact and you are making judgements about me, my personality and my ethics, TBH I find this more than unacceptable.

Are you making the mistake of thinking I am your employee?

Perhaps you feel (as PMA presumably does) that I am connected to this site 24/7? Are you? Probably not, so why would you think I am? Or that I read every single forum posting ever made? Do you? In point of fact, I was asleep when you posted - did that cross your mind? I live in a different time zone to you and I actually got some shut-eye after a 12-hour computer stint yesterday. Nonetheless, I would not have seen your post as I do not have the time or inclination to read everything that is posted here.
You will notice, however, despite it being Saturday, that I am back at the screen and replying, but only because kind fellow moderators alerted me to your demands (and thanks to Ralf and Maria who have pitched in during my absence) and I suggest that it might have been polite of you to link me to your forum rather than sling accusations about my motives and maturity "behind my back".

For goodwords:
If you read the forum header, the colleague actually asks "what" she should charge, not "how" she should charge.
Now unless my English has suddenly gone very shaky, she is asking for "amounts".

I hope you all have a good day and I shall certainly contact the colleague whose forum posting was locked, to see if she has received any information and I will post all the links goodwords so kindly listed here.
If that is insufficient, we can see about getting a new forum opened about how to work out rates, but not "fixing prices".
Regards
Angela
PS - As it is the weekend, I may well not be around to reply to any other doubts ... I'm sure you will all give me some leeway!

[Edited at 2007-02-24 10:12]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:36
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for your reply, Angela Feb 24, 2007

With it, I am closing the thread.

In the future, if anyone has a question about a moderator action, the best way to get an answer is to ask the moderator or enter a support ticket. Please do not post to the forums on such issues.

Thanks.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why did a thread get locked simply to avoid mentioning amounts?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »