Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jan 2, 2003

When one enters a forum and opens a multi-page topic, i.e. one which bears the words \"Go to Page\", it opens at the first page of the topic. I think most people opening a topic are more interested in seeing the latest additions to it than in starting from the beginning every time and then having to go to the last page for the new postings. Could such topics open at the LAST page instead?

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 16:43
English
+ ...
True genius is the art of identifying... Jan 2, 2003

...the OBVIOUS little need that no one had ever noticed all along.

Yes, Jack: this is OBVIOUSLY a great idea!

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 10:43
English to French
+ ...
My way Jan 2, 2003

When we have topics with several pages, on the \"Go to 1,2,3,..\" I click on the last page so I can read the last entry.

I personnally prefer to have the first post on the first page, so you know what triggered it all and it is easier to follow.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Could we satisfy everyone on this? Jan 20, 2003

By having the topic heading on the forum page saying not just \"Go to page\", so that you can only go to the page you want after you have first opened the topic, but \"Go to page 1, 2, 3\" (etc.) so that just one click will take you where you want to go.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Worked out how "Go to Page" works Jan 26, 2003

They say it\'s a bad habit to talk to yourself, which is what I appear to be doing here, but anyway:

I\'ve now worked out that a topic with up to four pages just has \"Go to Page\" which takes you to Page 1.

A topic with 5-9 pages has \"Go to Page 4, 5, 6\" or whatever so you can go straight to the later pages.

A topic with 10 or more pages has \"Go to Page 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...34\" or however many it is so you can go straight to the last page.

I don\'t see the
... See more
They say it\'s a bad habit to talk to yourself, which is what I appear to be doing here, but anyway:

I\'ve now worked out that a topic with up to four pages just has \"Go to Page\" which takes you to Page 1.

A topic with 5-9 pages has \"Go to Page 4, 5, 6\" or whatever so you can go straight to the later pages.

A topic with 10 or more pages has \"Go to Page 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...34\" or however many it is so you can go straight to the last page.

I don\'t see the logic of this. Surely one could be given the option of which page to go to for all topics, including those of 1-4 pages?

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:43
SITE FOUNDER
Good suggestion Jan 28, 2003

It is a good suggestion, Jack, I noticed this earlier and plan to have it done. (Actually, the function broke when we made some changes. We need to do a little programming to make it work with our new approach.)

Henry

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you. Jan 28, 2003

Thanks, Henry, I see this change has been implemented already.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Page at which topic opens

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »