sitting between all chairs...
Thread poster: Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 04:13
German to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2003

I\'m in a strange position regarding ProZ-forums - I translate GermanEnglish, but I don\'t live in either country, I live in Turkey instead.

One problem is obtaining jobs from ProZ, when the poster demands the individual to live in a German- or English-speaking country (frankly, I can\'t see an obvious reason for that in the age of telecommuting).

Another problem is participating in the ProZ forums, since I do business in Turkey, but the Turkish forum is
... See more
I\'m in a strange position regarding ProZ-forums - I translate GermanEnglish, but I don\'t live in either country, I live in Turkey instead.

One problem is obtaining jobs from ProZ, when the poster demands the individual to live in a German- or English-speaking country (frankly, I can\'t see an obvious reason for that in the age of telecommuting).

Another problem is participating in the ProZ forums, since I do business in Turkey, but the Turkish forum is mostly in Turkish, which I only speak limited. Yet, there seem to be interesting threads of which I only understand little, but feel that I would like to say something. Yes, I can participate in the German and English forums, but only to the extend where it doesn\'t concern business in any of those countries.

Powwows in Turkey I cannot attend, since these too are held in Turkish. Powwows in the other countries, where my source/target languages are spoken are too expensive for me to get to.

Any ideas? And please don\'t say \"learn Turkish for a start...\"
Collapse

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:13
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
My experience Jan 31, 2003

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-31 14:24]

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
English in Ankara Jan 31, 2003

Klaus, it\'s simple, man! Organize your OWN powwow and let the language of communication be in English. Aren\'t most of the Turkish Prozies speakers of English as well? I know at least one colleague in Ankara who would be interested. She\'s American and translates De>En just like you.

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:13
English to Turkish
+ ...
Guess you live in Istanbu Jan 31, 2003

Give me a call anytime but please next week and I\'ll keep you updated on the threads. There aren\'t that many interestins threads anyway, so you don\'t miss much. And powwow meating? Never again, last time only four turned up and one of them was Csaba from Hungary!!! I guess the first powwow has left too many bitter memories that noone wants to come to another powwow again. But it was definitely worth it since I got to know Ümit, Nilgün and Csaba.

Send a mail for phone number :?) ... See more
Give me a call anytime but please next week and I\'ll keep you updated on the threads. There aren\'t that many interestins threads anyway, so you don\'t miss much. And powwow meating? Never again, last time only four turned up and one of them was Csaba from Hungary!!! I guess the first powwow has left too many bitter memories that noone wants to come to another powwow again. But it was definitely worth it since I got to know Ümit, Nilgün and Csaba.

Send a mail for phone number :?)

Just joking, I know that you work with turkish translators.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

sitting between all chairs...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »