Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Reply/comment button disappeared form "Encouraged fields" thread [Staff: it is a members-only forum]
Thread poster: Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:56
English to Slovak
+ ...
Dec 28, 2007

Hi all,

Has anybody else been missing "reply/comment" button from "Encouraged fields" thread since debate got a bit heated?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-28 20:34]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-29 07:08]

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:56
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
No Dec 28, 2007

If you mean this thread - all buttons are where they should be.

Magda

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:56
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
No Dec 28, 2007

I still see it. How about the "Quote" button? Do you see that?

Maria

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still gone. Dec 28, 2007

The only one I got is "Link". The rest of them have disappeared after 27th post. After which we got Henry's inputs when I thought they would reappear.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Must be a browser problem Dec 28, 2007

by which link do you enter the thread? (please copy it here).
After Henry's post there is one more page of answers.

Magda

[Edited at 2007-12-28 20:51]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:56
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A technical problem? Dec 28, 2007

Rad Graban wrote:

Hi all,

Has anybody else been missing "reply/comment" button from "Encouraged fields" thread since debate got a bit heated?

Giles Watson posted in that thread at 8:37pm so he could also see the buttons (like I do).

Please consider submitting a support ticket, there may be a technical problem here.

Regards,
Enrique

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Support ticket Dec 28, 2007

Submitted.

Thanks

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 28, 2007

Rad Graban wrote:

Hi all,

But then again, you and I are mere "users". Everybody else who's answered your question in the negative is a valued "member".

The opinion of "users" as usual appears to be of little value to ProZ.

Fine with me, but has ProZ management checked with their marketing department about the importance of "unique visitors" and "page impressions" when it comes to advertising revenue?

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:56
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
OK, clearly a bug; no need for attacks Dec 28, 2007

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
But then again, you and I are mere "users". Everybody else who's answered your question in the negative is a valued "member".

The opinion of "users" as usual appears to be of little value to ProZ.

Fine with me, but has ProZ management checked with their marketing department about the importance of "unique visitors" and "page impressions" when it comes to advertising revenue?

I don't see the need for such a sarcastic posting. First of all, I think that this statement:
The opinion of "users" as usual appears to be of little value to ProZ.com.

is unfounded. Rad posted about his problem and two moderators and a staff member replied to him within minutes. He was asked to submit a support ticket just like any other person (user or member).

If you are having the same problem then it might be a bug related to membership level, and I'm sure this information will be very useful to the developer who will be assigned to fixing the issue. So thanks for your posting, although I'd rather you'd given us this info in a more constructive way instead of adding off-topic generalized accusations.

As a paying member I would like to receive better service than a user. I don't think this is unreasonable; I am paying for the service. Yet I don't see how I could get better or faster service than this (i.e. a reply from staff in the forum within minutes, even though the question shouldn't have been submitted in the forum but in a support ticket in the first place).

Maria

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
That forum in particular is members-only Dec 28, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

If you are having the same problem then it might be a bug related to membership level, and I'm sure this information will be very useful to the developer who will be assigned to fixing the issue.

Thanks Maria, I had not considered the membership status of the visitors to the thread. In fact this is not a bug.

Sorry for asking Rad to submit a ticket, I had overlooked the fact that Gerard selected for his thread a forum that is exclusive for members, as can be seen in the index page for the fora:

ProZ.com Membership
Forum for full members of ProZ.com to discuss membership.

I have contacted Gerard asking for his instructions about the thread: to keep it there or to move it to an open forum, such as Translators Coop.

Regards,
Enrique

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
When I posted I didn't even know about members-only threads Dec 29, 2007

Dear all,

When I posted about the shortcomings of the commercial side of this site, I didn't even know about members-only threads. I felt rather proud that bleu ribbon members stepped out to support me. Now, Enrique has pointed out to me that I can port my thread to a forum where anyone can react. No way, you'll have to pay to join the fray.

Regards,
Gerard

Rad Graban (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Charming Dec 29, 2007

Does really anyone expect me to pay $129 just to express my opinion? Don't think so. My membership expired last month and I didn't renew it. Seems to be rather good move considering what's happening.

Rad

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Re: sacrcasm, attacks and suchlike Dec 29, 2007

A point to ponder perhaps as we perambulate perkily into the ... ok, I'll stop that 'p' nonsense.

But seriously, am I the only one who has stopped to wonder exactly what sort of perception of the levels of supervision applied to the site would lead to people to think not 'bug' but 'control freakery shenanigans' when unable to post a reply to a controversial topic?
I admit I thought the same - I had wanted to post a minor aside the community is probably blessed to have been spa
... See more
A point to ponder perhaps as we perambulate perkily into the ... ok, I'll stop that 'p' nonsense.

But seriously, am I the only one who has stopped to wonder exactly what sort of perception of the levels of supervision applied to the site would lead to people to think not 'bug' but 'control freakery shenanigans' when unable to post a reply to a controversial topic?
I admit I thought the same - I had wanted to post a minor aside the community is probably blessed to have been spared, and when the button wasn't there, my immediate reaction, having seen many locked threads over the years, was "confound it all, they've done it again".....
Not "bug".
Not "oh, hang on, I don't pay any more, perhaps that's why".
But "oh lord, more clamping down on controversy".

Clearly, I was not alone.
Really, someone, somewhere could perhaps have a wee think about the perception of the way the site is run....
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The original thread is free for all Dec 29, 2007

No clamp down on controversy, this particular thread was started in a members-only forum, but the original one where the announcement was made is part of the Translators Coop forum that is, like almost all the forum sites, open to all.

Feel free to visit it and express your controversies, or to open a new thread on the issue.

Regards,
Enrique

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Something isn't right here Dec 29, 2007

1. By his own admission, Gerard didn't know about member-only threads, so he couldn't have opted for it.

2. Rad confirms that until the 27th posting, all the buttons were visible.

Strange, very strange.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reply/comment button disappeared form "Encouraged fields" thread [Staff: it is a members-only forum]

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »