Thread poster: abborre
abborre
abborre
Denmark
Local time: 02:58
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2003

Does anyone have any ideas for how to sell a trados software package. I purchased it a month ago and the agency that requested I purchase now does not give me any work.

Any tips for selling it will be greatly appreciated.

Valeri Serikov
Valeri Serikov  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:58
English to Russian
+ ...
Not recommended:) Apr 18, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-17 18:52, sandersson wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas for how to sell a trados software package. I purchased it a month ago and the agency that requested I purchase now does not give me any work.

Sandersson,

It is a greatest asset in your bin, get acquainted with this software and... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-17 18:52, sandersson wrote:

Sandersson,

It is a greatest asset in your bin, get acquainted with this software and earn money!

I\'d rather not to advise you, because the situation may be different, but if this is not the last money you invested, just wait, it will pay back very quickly!

Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I'd like to say: enjoy the benefits of Trados Apr 18, 2003

The only thing you need to use Trados (besides Trados itself) is a source file instead of a hard copy of the source text. Also if the client doesn\'t ask you to use Trados, you can still use it and enjoy the benefits. The greatest of them are in my opinion:

* A lot of clients require you to use a CAT, often Trados

* It gives you a professional image

* Trados breaks lonf paragraphs into easy translatable segments (very often sentences)

* A great advantage s
... See more
The only thing you need to use Trados (besides Trados itself) is a source file instead of a hard copy of the source text. Also if the client doesn\'t ask you to use Trados, you can still use it and enjoy the benefits. The greatest of them are in my opinion:

* A lot of clients require you to use a CAT, often Trados

* It gives you a professional image

* Trados breaks lonf paragraphs into easy translatable segments (very often sentences)

* A great advantage some people overlook: editing/proofreading you own document makes much more sense with Trados, while you can still compare source and target text.

* And of course the comfort of the matches and the concordance (F3 in your Workbench)

In case I should know that I would stop translating the end of this year for some reason, I would nevertheless buy Trados (but other people use it only when the client requires them to do so).

My two cents,

Henk Peelen
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
the concordance function alone is invaluable Apr 19, 2003

Don\'t worry, your purchase will eventually pay off, rather sooner than later. Unless you intend to buy a better package on the market, I\'d hang on to Trados. The agency you deal with is not the only agency in the world. Even though the program is not really very user-friendly, there will be other work with Trados as it has, albeit a little undeservedly, reached the status of industry standard. Like Henk, I use it for all my work. I use some shortcuts though. After making sure that all the TUs ... See more
Don\'t worry, your purchase will eventually pay off, rather sooner than later. Unless you intend to buy a better package on the market, I\'d hang on to Trados. The agency you deal with is not the only agency in the world. Even though the program is not really very user-friendly, there will be other work with Trados as it has, albeit a little undeservedly, reached the status of industry standard. Like Henk, I use it for all my work. I use some shortcuts though. After making sure that all the TUs are in my TM (i.,e. all the units have to come back \' green\'), I just \'wash\' off the codes by \' dipping it into Wordpad, rather than cleaning off the codes through the program, as it is faster. Most agencies want the \' dirty\' files anyhow, so it\'s easier to edit for them. To them the chore of cleaning off the codes (yikes!) the regular way.

The second positive thing I have to say about Trados is, although all translation software has this function, that I use the Concordance function each and every day. It is invaluable as a database to compare sentence structures with the words used. I have about 40 thousand odd entries, and it remembers what I did 2 years ago, whereas I don\'t, when I started using Trados. Then you can add nice sentences you come across, new terms, words and combinations. Tag them accordingly and import them into your memory bank (TM). You can always convert your TMs into other databases.

Good luck!

Marijke
Collapse

Valentina Cafiero
Valentina Cafiero  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
I am interested May 5, 2003

Hi Monika,

I am Valentina Cafiero, an Italian freelance translators I am interested in buying your Trados 5 and I would like to know how much is it and if I can use it in Italian.

Let me know ASAP.

Thanks in advance. Best regards,

Valentina Cafiero

iolanda petrini
iolanda petrini
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
translator (de/en>it) Sep 9, 2003

I'm looking for Trados, any version, and could spend about €200,00.
Hope you're interested,
Bye
Iolanda
sandersson wrote:

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
there are others looking for trados Feb 5, 2004

Meatball wrote:

Hi! in the same category slightly at the beginning there are a couple of people looking for trados. But I find it strange that the agency doesn´t give you any work because you have purchased Trados. brandis

Jairo Contreras-López
Jairo Contreras-López
United States
Local time: 18:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
I will be willing to buy it... Feb 5, 2004

Please contact me... either by email or by phone... Thanks.

rugiada
rugiada  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Buying Trados Feb 7, 2004

Please, if you still have it, contact me, with a quote. I am interested in buying it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking to sell my trados 5.5 only a month old

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »