Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2002

I want to buy a laptop, mostly as an alternative system rather the main one, and was considering a budget of about EURO 1500-1600. I would like it to be as good as possible for that price, with good screen size, DVD, internal modem. I very occasionally have to handle largish docs (say 4Mb). I was looking at ASUS and Compaq Presario models.

What do youse all think? Any tips for one who has revealed herself to be pretty computer illiterate?!

And while on t
... See more
I want to buy a laptop, mostly as an alternative system rather the main one, and was considering a budget of about EURO 1500-1600. I would like it to be as good as possible for that price, with good screen size, DVD, internal modem. I very occasionally have to handle largish docs (say 4Mb). I was looking at ASUS and Compaq Presario models.

What do youse all think? Any tips for one who has revealed herself to be pretty computer illiterate?!

And while on the subject, I just got a surprise present of Office 2000 in English and was rather shocked as I believe this software is about EURO 400-500. Is it so much?

Ailish
Collapse

FrancescoP
FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Active Matrix LCD Jan 24, 2002

The only suggestion I can give to anyone who wish to buy a laptop is: buy one with a Active Matrix LCD display.

It costs more, but your eyesight is precious...

Hope this helps!

FP

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-24 11:52 ]

Alexandra Fakalou
Alexandra Fakalou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:02
Member (2004)
Greek to French
+ ...
Laptop is a good tool Jan 24, 2002

I bought a laptop myself 7 months ago and it has been helpful. Mine is a Compaq Armada. I am not really an expert as far as computers are concerned but it really made some difference. I work mainly on Word, so I didn\'t ask for too many things. I think that 99% of all computers currently on the market have an internal modem and DVD. The good thing about a laptop is that you can go work wherever, change the environment, which in the case of 12 or 14 hours non-stop work, it really helps your mood!... See more
I bought a laptop myself 7 months ago and it has been helpful. Mine is a Compaq Armada. I am not really an expert as far as computers are concerned but it really made some difference. I work mainly on Word, so I didn\'t ask for too many things. I think that 99% of all computers currently on the market have an internal modem and DVD. The good thing about a laptop is that you can go work wherever, change the environment, which in the case of 12 or 14 hours non-stop work, it really helps your mood! At least, it works for me. You will certainly find a laptop for about 1600-1700 euros for the specificationa that you stated. Be sure that you buy it from someone that will be still there if you need a service. I\'ve heard many people complaining that once a laptop presents a problem, the time required for repair is unexcusably long. Personally, up to now I have not faced any problem.

Hope I helped!

Best Regards
[addsig]
Collapse

Gianfranco Zecchino
Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
ASUS... Jan 24, 2002

A couple of months ago I bought an ASUS L8400K. Whatever company you choose, I´d suggest you to look for a model with TFT (Active Matrix) Display, a good amount of RAM (256 MB) and not to small a HardDisk (20 GB). You need a TFT display if you don´t want trouble with your eyes, enough RAM to make programmes work smoothly (especially when using more of them at the same time) and enough space on your HardDisk to be able to install \"heavy\" programmes and possibly several dictionaries ... See more
A couple of months ago I bought an ASUS L8400K. Whatever company you choose, I´d suggest you to look for a model with TFT (Active Matrix) Display, a good amount of RAM (256 MB) and not to small a HardDisk (20 GB). You need a TFT display if you don´t want trouble with your eyes, enough RAM to make programmes work smoothly (especially when using more of them at the same time) and enough space on your HardDisk to be able to install \"heavy\" programmes and possibly several dictionaries (with programmes like \"Virtual CD\").

ASUS offers several models, and of course the price will vary depending on the characteristics you want.

I paid mine 4000 DM (around 2000 EUR), but the price might but lower now. Windows 98 Recovery Version plus PC-cillin 2000 Antivirus were included.

Anyway have a look at ASUS´s web-page:

www.asus.com.tw

Other features are: Pentium III 1GHz processor, 14,1\" TFT Display (a really good one), internal modem, LAN card (for networks), DVD-ROM and of course floppy disk drive.

Last but not least, \"my child\" felt down from the desk (argh!) and still works as if nothing happened. Not every laptop would have survived...

You can find useful buyer´s guide on all major serach engines, as for example on:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Product_Information_and_Reviews/Buyer_s_Guides/Price_Guides/

I hope this helps!

Gianfranco

Collapse

Data (X)
Data (X)
A few tips... Jan 24, 2002

Hello Ailish, and here are a few tips to help you make your choice:

1. Find a reasonable compromise b/w weight and functionality. Usually the more options your laptop has, the heavier it is. Same goes for batteries - the more powerful, the heavier. If you have to travel - get a slim one, with detachable disk drives, etc. If you mostly work from home - go for the \"all-in-one\" design.

2. Most laptops these days come with smth. like \"SpeedStep\", which is a feature that slows
... See more
Hello Ailish, and here are a few tips to help you make your choice:

1. Find a reasonable compromise b/w weight and functionality. Usually the more options your laptop has, the heavier it is. Same goes for batteries - the more powerful, the heavier. If you have to travel - get a slim one, with detachable disk drives, etc. If you mostly work from home - go for the \"all-in-one\" design.

2. Most laptops these days come with smth. like \"SpeedStep\", which is a feature that slows the processor down when top speed is not a necessity. Helps extend battery life.

3. TFT LCD (last-generation active matrix display) is a MUST, but most of the newer models have it as a standard, anyway.

4. Pay attention to the pointing device: Compaq, Fujitsu-Siemens, Sony and some others usually come with TouchPad, which is like a small touchscreen below the keybord, and you control the pointer by moving your finger on its surface. IBM and Toshiba are usually equipped with TouchPoint, which is a small stick/button in the middle of the keyboard that you push to direct the pointer.

5. If you are planning to use it for recreation also, you may opt for the models with external volume control and other additional features (e.g. Compaq Presario 1400 series)

6. Naturally, look for a one with a decent processor and (!!! if you work with large files) a sufficient amount of memory (128 Mb minimum, 256 and up is preferable). Hard disk space is also important.

That\'s all the major things I can think of right now, but if you need more detailed explanations or advice on specific models/brands - feel free to contact me by email.

Good luck!

Data
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't forget RAM Jan 24, 2002

...as the software we\'re using gets heavier, the operating memory (RAM = random access memory) gets more important. Trouble is, it\'s also one of the more costly components, particularly for notebooks.

It depends on what you want to do with the machine; most notebooks now have 128MB RAM as standard, which should do fine for most applications. Having said that, upgrading to 256MB will allow you, for example, to use Word, a CAT tool (such as Trados) and Outlook at the same ti
... See more
...as the software we\'re using gets heavier, the operating memory (RAM = random access memory) gets more important. Trouble is, it\'s also one of the more costly components, particularly for notebooks.

It depends on what you want to do with the machine; most notebooks now have 128MB RAM as standard, which should do fine for most applications. Having said that, upgrading to 256MB will allow you, for example, to use Word, a CAT tool (such as Trados) and Outlook at the same time.

HTH - best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:02
Italian to English
+ ...
Memory has really come down in price. Jan 24, 2002

Actually, memory has really come down in price recently. You can find 256M ram for well under $100 USD for most laptop brands.

www.pricewatch.com is a good place to start.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-01-24 14:31, Lemster wrote:

...as the software we\'re using gets heavier, the operating memory (RAM = random access mem... See more
Actually, memory has really come down in price recently. You can find 256M ram for well under $100 USD for most laptop brands.

www.pricewatch.com is a good place to start.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-01-24 14:31, Lemster wrote:

It depends on what you want to do with the machine; most notebooks now have 128MB RAM as standard, which should do fine for most applications. Having said that, upgrading to 256MB will allow you, for example, to use Word, a CAT tool (such as Trados) and Outlook at the same time.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 24, 2002

Thanks to everyone, all the info was really useful and I have a much clearer idea of what I need by now.

Regards

Ailish

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptops /Portatiles: I am considering buying

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »