https://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/122096-printers_for_the_spacially_challenged.html

Printers for the spacially-challenged
Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:22
French to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2008

Hi everyone,
Of course, my question naturally excludes a large part of the translator population living in non-spacially-challenged areas such as Texas, Siberia, or Canada ....

At least for those of you fellow small-spacers, maybe you can help me out. I'm starting to shop around for a printer, but I have no space to store the thing. (tiny Paris studio)

I've seen these ruler-sized scanners and smal
... See more
Hi everyone,
Of course, my question naturally excludes a large part of the translator population living in non-spacially-challenged areas such as Texas, Siberia, or Canada ....

At least for those of you fellow small-spacers, maybe you can help me out. I'm starting to shop around for a printer, but I have no space to store the thing. (tiny Paris studio)

I've seen these ruler-sized scanners and small printers, but are they really worth it? or just gadgety things that break down after a year.
Also, I conclude that the small printers are ink vampires that need to be refilled constantly.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality (tiny) product?

(I always manage to do large scale printing at clients' offices, so I would mostly use it for letters, invoices, emails, and scanning occasional docs).

Thanks in advance
Natalia
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wi-fi connection? Dec 2, 2008

Others will certainly come up with great suggestions about small footprint printers. However, if you use the printer fairly rarely, a wi-fi connected device put in an appropriate place can be an option. It takes no space on/around your desk, and size restriction is not such an important factor in choosing the right printer.
Attila

Natalia Eklund
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sounding a little stupid but... Dec 2, 2008

Are printers using WIFI now? Are they good quality?
I thought they were only on infared, and therefore they had to be within the line of site of the computer.

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Some use wifi... Dec 2, 2008

... the same way as a laptop, so no problem if it is in the next room. I don't have any first-hand experience with them (I use a 5 m USB extension cable with my printer) but as far as I know there is no particular technical problem. Perhaps someone with first-hand experience could comment on it.
You will find a lot of information on wifi printers, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/68fn2h . (This is no recommendati
... See more
... the same way as a laptop, so no problem if it is in the next room. I don't have any first-hand experience with them (I use a 5 m USB extension cable with my printer) but as far as I know there is no particular technical problem. Perhaps someone with first-hand experience could comment on it.
You will find a lot of information on wifi printers, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/68fn2h . (This is no recommendation of the printer mentioned there.)
Attila
Collapse

Natalia Eklund
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
small footprint printer Dec 3, 2008

Thanks Attila, I will look into it, but even with a wifi, I would still need a smaller printer/scanner due to space problems.

So if anyone knows of a good one for its size, please let me know!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Printers for the spacially-challenged

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »