Local time: 03:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Three computers belonging to one person? Dec 29, 2008

maurizio piazza wrote:
Office can be legally used by 3 computers
so i'm looking for a couple of people t share it

Unless I'm mistaken, the "on 3 computers" rule applies to three computers owned by a single person. It is a concession to people who have more than one computer, eg a laptop computer and a desktop computer.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:50
English to Polish
So called "Home Edition" Dec 29, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, the "on 3 computers" rule applies to three computers owned by a single person. It is a concession to people who have more than one computer, eg a laptop computer and a desktop computer.

It doesn't have to be a single person. I guess EULA says "the same household". But remember - you cannot use Office Home Edition to make money.
In case you need Office for your desktop and laptop, buy box version (Small Business, Professional) - AFAIK it is still legal to install this version on both your desktop and laptop.

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:50
Spanish to English
I'm surprised you want it Dec 29, 2008

Do you know something I don't? Everyone I know, including myself removed Vista from our new computers and installed XP. I consumes so much memory that the computer hangs and most of that seems to be to improve its use in games.

I also prefer Office 2003, because I haven't found any benefit in the 2007 version that makes relearning where to find everything worthwhile.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 18:50
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree with Lesley Clarke re Windows XP and MS Office 2003 Dec 29, 2008

Greetings.

I reinforce and agree with Lesley Clarke's good comment about the better reliability in using Windows XP and MS Office 2003, versus the "memory vampire" of Vista.

Also, MS Office 2007 is bloated with extraneous "bells and whistles."

Those added features, IMPO, do little, if anything, for translators, especially when having to choose a compatible format for a translated product before sending it to a customer, re ".docx" versus ".doc".
... See more
Greetings.

I reinforce and agree with Lesley Clarke's good comment about the better reliability in using Windows XP and MS Office 2003, versus the "memory vampire" of Vista.

Also, MS Office 2007 is bloated with extraneous "bells and whistles."

Those added features, IMPO, do little, if anything, for translators, especially when having to choose a compatible format for a translated product before sending it to a customer, re ".docx" versus ".doc".

After plodding through the morass of Vista's contents, one might wonder what will the attractive features inside the forthcoming MS Windows 7 (its current name, but likely to be jazzed up into another name before release to the public)?

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English Arabic, Kurdish, and Persian
San Pedro, California
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Why not give a try to OpenOffice.org? Dec 30, 2008

OpenOffice.org can be installed and used without any restrictions to any number of computers. It has good capabilities for import/export of files in MS Office 97-2003 formats, built-in export to PDF etc.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
ooo opens ooxml Dec 30, 2008

openoffice.org 3.0 can open ooxml, i.e., microsoft office 2007 file format.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OOXML and MS Office 2007 are not the same! Dec 30, 2008

OOXML is an international standard of electronic document pushed through by Microsoft. However, it has been reported that even MS Office 2007 does not comply with OOXML specs, and the generic MSO 2007 format is something different. Anyway, to open MSO 2007, you’d better use an external converter f... See more
OOXML is an international standard of electronic document pushed through by Microsoft. However, it has been reported that even MS Office 2007 does not comply with OOXML specs, and the generic MSO 2007 format is something different. Anyway, to open MSO 2007, you’d better use an external converter found here: http://www.oooninja.com/2008/12/better-office-docx-converter.html , because it produces a better conversion.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OFFICE for VISTA

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »