CAT for non-Microslaves
Thread poster: Dave Simons
Dave Simons
Dave Simons
Local time: 05:01
French to English
Jul 5, 2001

I don\'t use Microsoft products and fully intend never to use them. So far I have got on very well indeed without them. This means of course that there is nothing called Windows or Word on any of my machines, and this in no way stops me producing .doc\'s, .ppt\'s, etc.

Has anyone any experience of CAT software on non-Windows platforms (I\'m thinking in particular of Linux)? Have any open-source enthusiasts managed to get CAT software to work with the Windows emulator \"Wine\"?
... See more
I don\'t use Microsoft products and fully intend never to use them. So far I have got on very well indeed without them. This means of course that there is nothing called Windows or Word on any of my machines, and this in no way stops me producing .doc\'s, .ppt\'s, etc.

Has anyone any experience of CAT software on non-Windows platforms (I\'m thinking in particular of Linux)? Have any open-source enthusiasts managed to get CAT software to work with the Windows emulator \"Wine\"?

Collapse

Giovanna Lester
Giovanna Lester  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2001

I never heard of \"Wine\". Buti have used WordFisher for a few years, and I know that at least two of users (through postings on the users\' discussion list) useit on Macs. Check it out at www.wordfisher.com.

Gio

Quote:

On 2001-07-05 05:43, mrquiz wrote:

I don\'t use Microsoft products and fully intend never to use them... See more
I never heard of \"Wine\". Buti have used WordFisher for a few years, and I know that at least two of users (through postings on the users\' discussion list) useit on Macs. Check it out at www.wordfisher.com.

Gio

Quote:

On 2001-07-05 05:43, mrquiz wrote:

Collapse

Shiho Nakamura
Shiho Nakamura  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:01
English to Japanese
You could try Alair II if your're using Mac Jan 25, 2002

I don\'t know any CAT tools for Linux, but I am quite happy with Alair II on my Mac. It is a native Mac application, and very fast. It doesn\'t slow you down any bit, unlike most CAT tools tend to do. As I wrote in somewhere else, the functions are a bit limited but it can import and export your TM in the standard TMX file, so you can send the TM to someone who is using other CAT tools as well.

I\'m just a happy user. HIH.

Shiho

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:01
German to English
+ ...
Lindows on the horizon Mar 7, 2002

You will have the opportunity to kick Billy-boy in the butt and still use software, requiring his OS at the moment, anyway. Have a look at www.lindows.com

They try to implement a Linux-based OS that is able to run Windows applications without the known setbacks of the Windows OS (crash-prone, etc.)

At the moment only the Office applications run well, but they are working on it franticall
... See more
You will have the opportunity to kick Billy-boy in the butt and still use software, requiring his OS at the moment, anyway. Have a look at www.lindows.com

They try to implement a Linux-based OS that is able to run Windows applications without the known setbacks of the Windows OS (crash-prone, etc.)

At the moment only the Office applications run well, but they are working on it frantically.

I am one of the beta testers at the moment, though I am so busy now that I really did not have the time yet to have a close look.

But I guess in a year\'s time you will be able to run Dejavu, SDLX or any other non-Microsoft software on Lindows platform without supporting \"M\"
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT for non-Microslaves

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »