What does "compiled CD-R containing full version of Trados etc." mean?
Thread poster: Jordane Boury
Jordane Boury
Jordane Boury  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:08
English to French
+ ...
Sep 24, 2003

Hi folks,

Maybe some of you saw recently, in another translators' website, an offer saying basically :

"I am offering a compiled CD-R containing full version of TRADOS 6.0, SDLX, DEJA VU, TRANSIT, ALCHEMY CATALYST and PASSOLO. Altogether for the CD, only US$150. For 200$, you can also get Framemaker, Pagemaker, QrarkXpress and more!
All software work as fully registered version, but do not need to be registered or any dongle."

The author also provides
... See more
Hi folks,

Maybe some of you saw recently, in another translators' website, an offer saying basically :

"I am offering a compiled CD-R containing full version of TRADOS 6.0, SDLX, DEJA VU, TRANSIT, ALCHEMY CATALYST and PASSOLO. Altogether for the CD, only US$150. For 200$, you can also get Framemaker, Pagemaker, QrarkXpress and more!
All software work as fully registered version, but do not need to be registered or any dongle."

The author also provides 2 web-sites and 2 e-mails, for further info.

Does all this stink?
I was considering to get Trados via the TGB offer but I am hesitating now...

Cheers,

Jordane
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Illegal offering Sep 24, 2003

Hi Jordane,
You are right - this is illegitimate.
If you see anything posted on ProZ.com, or if you receive any unsolicited e-mails, please don't hesitate to contact any moderator.

ProZ.com staff and moderators do their utmost to prevent these things from happening.

Best regards, Ralf

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes, it stinks Sep 24, 2003

Only cracked software doesn't need registration nor dongle. You buy cheap, but you buy from a thief.

Magda

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
A pirated versions. Sep 24, 2003

Modified not to require a dongle. Has some downsides:

1. You become a criminal
2. You get no technical support
3. I wouldn't bet it will work 100% OK

But the price is attractive. If you choose to, do bargain. I guess you can get it for $25. Blank CD's are almost free.

To make things absolutely clear: I am wholeheartedly against it. But rather for moral than technical reasons.

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
You may find it useful... Sep 24, 2003

...to take a look at a previous thread in the Italian forum apparently about the same offer:

http://www.proz.com/topic/14020

Yes, it stinks!

[Edited at 2003-09-24 11:51]

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:08
German to Portuguese
+ ...
And what if Trados original fails... Sep 24, 2003

during a 1000USD project on a Weekend of course....will Trados pay you the money back
I red here in Proz about dongles not working without any reason...also 700 USD software has its Problems....
But thats not he issue discussed here...but I had to say it sorry

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

What if it fails during a 1000 USD project?

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
Hey Muja! Totally curious! Sep 24, 2003

Muja wrote:

...to take a look at a previous thread in the Italian forum apparently about the same offer:

http://www.proz.com/topic/14020

Yes, it stinks!

Wanna give a short translated synopsis? I'm totally curious about what's there and understand 0 Italian!

Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
Vincent MAELSTAF (X)
English to French
Most probably bogus 'offering' Sep 25, 2003

I suspect this is more likely a bogus ‘offering’. Trados, SDLX, Déjà Vu, Transit, etc. are not the kind of mainstream software that attracts crackers. You would no doubt get the demo versions on the CD (if any CD at all…)

Vincent

Jean Xavier Ginel (X)
Jean Xavier Ginel (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
spam Sep 28, 2003

I have received this email, several time in fact over the last few weeks. Such spamming is really annoying.

The offer may be genuine from what i have heard, but spamming and sending the same email several time to the same person is really annoying. I advise all the one who have received the email and who are not interrested in that offer to 'block' the email address, or else you will receive it several time (#sob# like me).

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Once again - this is illegal Sep 29, 2003

Bonjour, Jean Xavier,
The offer may be genuine from what i have heard,

It is not - in fact, it's illegal.

Best regards, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Forum / job postings Sep 29, 2003

You may have noted postings by a new member who advertised "cheap" CAT tools along the lines of various illegal offers we have seen recently. The same person decided to also use in appropriate job postings, thus pestering numerous ProZ.com members with the resulting messages.

The postings were removed as quickly as possible, and that person's profile was blocked (regardless of the fact that he/she had registered as a Platinum member).

Let it be quite clear that ProZ.com
... See more
You may have noted postings by a new member who advertised "cheap" CAT tools along the lines of various illegal offers we have seen recently. The same person decided to also use in appropriate job postings, thus pestering numerous ProZ.com members with the resulting messages.

The postings were removed as quickly as possible, and that person's profile was blocked (regardless of the fact that he/she had registered as a Platinum member).

Let it be quite clear that ProZ.com staff and moderators will do whatever they can to stop this illegal practice.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does "compiled CD-R containing full version of Trados etc." mean?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »