Thread poster: Esther
Esther
Esther
Germany
Local time: 23:23
Spanish to German
+ ...
Feb 21, 2002

I\'m using TRADOS 3 Freelance and am quite satisfied with it.

Now I have bought Office XP and would love to work with it, also with my TM. But the macros for Word don\'t seem to work with the XP version. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

TRADOS doesn\'t answer my mail concerning this problem and I don\'t really want to buy the TRADOS 5 update, as I don\'t see any new features at the TRADOS 5 version that were of use for my personal business.

Can anyone h
... See more
I\'m using TRADOS 3 Freelance and am quite satisfied with it.

Now I have bought Office XP and would love to work with it, also with my TM. But the macros for Word don\'t seem to work with the XP version. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

TRADOS doesn\'t answer my mail concerning this problem and I don\'t really want to buy the TRADOS 5 update, as I don\'t see any new features at the TRADOS 5 version that were of use for my personal business.

Can anyone help me???
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
XP is not yet fully supported Feb 21, 2002

Have a look at this article from the Trados Knowledge Base:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=951#GenOffXP

I *stubbornly* refuse to even install Office 2000 - my Office 97 package runs fine... I suppose you could ask a similar question regarding the real benefits about upgrading to Office XP...
... See more
Have a look at this article from the Trados Knowledge Base:

http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=951#GenOffXP

I *stubbornly* refuse to even install Office 2000 - my Office 97 package runs fine... I suppose you could ask a similar question regarding the real benefits about upgrading to Office XP...

BTW Depending on where you bought Office XP, you might be able to swap it against Office 2000...
Collapse

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Agree with Ralf Feb 22, 2002

Tthe two things cannot work together for the moment...

Bye

Antonella
[addsig]

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Win 2000 and TRADOS Feb 22, 2002

Quote:

Lemster wrote:

I *stubbornly* refuse to even install Office 2000 - my Office 97 package runs fine...

After a long trek with Win 98, suffering from the \"blues\", I decided to move onto Win 2000. I am totally satisfied with it and it works beautifully with TRADOS 3.0 and 5.0.

Cheers,

P.

[ This Message was edited by: on 200
... See more
Quote:

Lemster wrote:

I *stubbornly* refuse to even install Office 2000 - my Office 97 package runs fine...

After a long trek with Win 98, suffering from the \"blues\", I decided to move onto Win 2000. I am totally satisfied with it and it works beautifully with TRADOS 3.0 and 5.0.

Cheers,

P.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-22 13:19 ]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TRADOS and Office XP Mar 12, 2002

I\'m currently working with TRADOS and OFFICE XP with Windows 2000 professional PC - an all the software works quite properly. But you MUST upgrade to TRADOS 5.0, only this version cooperates with XP - but you get more, you can translate EXCEL without needing to copy the table to Word, you can translate executables and much more.

So - if you can - go for TRADOS 5.0 - it is a BIG improvement to TRADOS 3.0

algoritmo
algoritmo
Italian to English
+ ...
Trados 3 and Office XP May 9, 2002

Hi,

I\'m sorry and it is I think really not correct at all to oblige people always spending money for this, but Trados 3 does not support Office XP. A person I know managed to work all the same, but after having lost a couple of days with PC always stuck and we did not understand why? Then Trados support told us it is NOT possible, it is only with T5 they are currently \"offering\"!...MS and Trados always go together remember! ... See more
Hi,

I\'m sorry and it is I think really not correct at all to oblige people always spending money for this, but Trados 3 does not support Office XP. A person I know managed to work all the same, but after having lost a couple of days with PC always stuck and we did not understand why? Then Trados support told us it is NOT possible, it is only with T5 they are currently \"offering\"!...MS and Trados always go together remember!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Response to algoritmo May 9, 2002

I should start by saying that I am not affiliated with Trados in any way.

You say it\'s not right that people need to upgrade to T5. Try seeing it this way: when T3 was built, Office was Office97 (which, BTW, I am happily using to this present day). How could you design T3 to be compatible with Office XP that was going to be launched several years later? Now one could argue that Trados could theoretically re-build T3 for those who don\'t want to buy the upgrade - but wouldn\
... See more
I should start by saying that I am not affiliated with Trados in any way.

You say it\'s not right that people need to upgrade to T5. Try seeing it this way: when T3 was built, Office was Office97 (which, BTW, I am happily using to this present day). How could you design T3 to be compatible with Office XP that was going to be launched several years later? Now one could argue that Trados could theoretically re-build T3 for those who don\'t want to buy the upgrade - but wouldn\'t this be tantamount to saying that a DVD player should also work with video cassettes? Bottom line: T3 doesn\'t work with Office XP - but nobody\'s forced to use Office XP (according to my hardware/software supplier, if you\'re buying a license for Office XP, the dealer is authorised to install Office 2000 instead).

Just my two euro cents...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TRADOS and Office May 9, 2002

I\'m not affilated in any way with either Microsoft or TRADOS, but I would encourage everybody to go for Office XP and TRADOS 5.5.

A long time ago I started with Word 5 for DOC, which was indeed good and stable text editor. After I migrated to Windows 3.1 I used Word for Windows 2, which has had a lot of problems, and then Word for Windows 6.0 - and this was good to.

After upcomming of Win95 I changed to WW95, 97, then 2000 and yet XP. As WW95 was quite reliable th
... See more
I\'m not affilated in any way with either Microsoft or TRADOS, but I would encourage everybody to go for Office XP and TRADOS 5.5.

A long time ago I started with Word 5 for DOC, which was indeed good and stable text editor. After I migrated to Windows 3.1 I used Word for Windows 2, which has had a lot of problems, and then Word for Windows 6.0 - and this was good to.

After upcomming of Win95 I changed to WW95, 97, then 2000 and yet XP. As WW95 was quite reliable the WW97 was the instablest WW I ever had! WW 2000 was a big improvemenet, but first working with XP gives you the security, that you will not loose anything (almost) of what you write. Even after collapsing for ever reason (Word XP collapses far rarely as the other versions) it is able to get the document back to the poit I was before the problem occured. And there are a lot of other improovements, bigger and smaller, no more functions, but much more reliability. XP IS THE BEST WORD I EVER USED!

And TRADOS 5.5 supports fully Office XP, so together they make a good pair to work with.

Just my two EUROCENTS...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 3 with Office XP

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »