Mobile menu

Anyone using SDLX standard?
Thread poster: ninsk
ninsk
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 31, 2003

i'm thinking about buying SDLX standard. is anyone using it? Would you recommend it?
i'm a freelancer doing occasional translations.
thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 18:27
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Great software :-) Oct 31, 2003

Hi,

I use SDLX 2003 Stardard Suite. SDLX is a very user-friendly CAT-tool with own editor, fully Trados-compatible.

I have never had troubles with this software - Version 4.2.1. freeezed a couple of times, but due to missing code in the uncleaned files I was editing.

Projects (= when you import a file into SDLX editor you create a project), terminologies and translation memories can be easily created and imported.

Dealing with Powerpoint files in SDLX is simply wonderful, as you don't see the original layout, but only the text you have to translate.. idem with Excel files.

I simply love to work with this CAT.

IMHO it is worthwhile buying a good CAT-tool, when we translate very often texts for the same client (even if they are not repetitive or updates) or similar texts in the same field, where the terminology is recurrent.

For occasional translation I wouldn't recommend any CAT.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2003-10-31 17:08]

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:27
German to English
+ ...
It depends.... Oct 31, 2003

I have done several large projects with SDLX. It is working pretty good, but it has also many downsides.

The editor is substandard if you are accustomed working with WORD. For example, there is no autoreplace function, so you have to type everything, which can be annoying with the long German combined nouns.

The "format painting" function can also be a bitch. Sometimes the program is just not accepting the selected format painting or accepts it but does not call it up again after saving, closing and re-opening the file. I finally went so far to save the files in pure text format, to get rid of all formatting, convert them back to RTF for processing in SDLX and then later make a second run with the formated text.

I have worked with SDLX, Wordfast and Trados 6.0 - all have their pluses and minuses. But to be frankly, I still like the old DOS program best that a friend of mine (himself a translator) wrote about 15 years ago. The search algorithm is so lightning fast, the learning capabilities and dictionary editing functions so great compared to the overblown CATs today ... but of course, as there was no TRADOS around at that time ... the lack of compatibility makes it tough to work with it today.

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:27
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Excellent software Nov 1, 2003

I also like SDLX very much. I started using it at the request of an agency, but soon decided to buy it for myself and never regretted it. Because the text is broken down in segments, you won't skip any passages and you can monitor your progress. I would agree with the disadvantages Hans just quoted. But SDLX's technical support is free and unparalleled, and there is a useful Yahoo-based usersgroup, too.

[Edited at 2003-11-01 15:23]

Twelli
English to German
Link to SDLX user group on Yahoo? Feb 19, 2005

Anne Lee wrote:

I also like SDLX very much. I started using it at the request of an agency, but soon decided to buy it for myself and never regretted it. Because the text is broken down in segments, you won't skip any passages and you can monitor your progress. I would agree with the disadvantages Hans just quoted. But SDLX's technical support is free and unparalleled, and there is a useful Yahoo-based usersgroup, too.

[Edited at 2003-11-01 15:23]

Hi Anne Lee,

could you post the link of this user group?

thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone using SDLX standard?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs