Thread poster: Lota

Lota
United States
Local time: 02:32
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2002

An agency is offering me a job but they want to know what \"memory tools\" I use. I have not used any (except of course my own templates in Word) and need to tell them that I can obtain them. But where do I even start researching what may be useful to me? I am looking into English-Polish and Polish-English translations. What would you suggest?

Thank you.

Lota

Direct link Reply with quote

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:32
German to English
+ ...
Tons of topics in this site.... Mar 7, 2002

Hi,

There are already so many discussions on this site on TMs (translation memories) that we should not start a new one. Have a look here:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewforum&eid_c=16252&forum=9&120

There you find also hints for free tools like WordFast and many comparisons of commercial tools like TRADOS, SDLX and Dejavu

HTH

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Check SDLX and Wordfish Mar 7, 2002

At least you can get them for free (SDLX Lite)...

If you need links - give me a shout.

That agency actually should praise your brain and ability to work without prostheses, eh? )))

I don\'t use them either - Lingvo Dic in some cases (En-Ru)...

vladimir

big_fish  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-07 04:11, vvd wrote:

That agency actually should praise your brain and ability to work without prostheses, eh? )))

I don\'t use them either - Lingvo Dic in some cases (En-Ru)...

vladimir

Someone compared using word processors for translate to using a knife to screw bolts instead of a srewdriver. That\'s definitely true, even if you have to learn a new tool. I can tell I find it much more comfortable to use CAT (Wordfast in my case) than going directly in Word.

Once you get used to it, you wouldn\'t like any other way to work.

And believe me, and it does not impair your brain and ability.

Cheers,

Kris

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Working with CAT makes translation easier Apr 27, 2002

I must support Kris. Some years ago I was forced to start working with \"Translation Memory\". It was TRANSIT. I didn´t like it, because of very uncomfortable user interface and those many TAGs in the entire text. So two years ago, as I was asked to start working with TRADOS I refused for the first time. But next time I had no choice - I could only start to work with TRADOS or refuse the whole job - and it was a big project, I´m still working on. So I bought TRADOS - and after these two years I wouldn´t start even the smallest project without. It makes working much easier, as the PC is able to do something for me.

But TRADOS, Deja Vu and TRANSIT are very expenceive (595 $ and above), so for the beginung try to download WORDFAST here www.champollion.net - it is free and works similar to TRADOS. If you get used to it, you can switch to TRADOS if necessary.

Regards

J. Czopik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Memory Tools

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search