Basic question to Trados
Thread poster: Libero

Libero
France
Local time: 11:06
French to German
+ ...
Dec 8, 2003

As I do not have neither mobile phone nor trados as a translator I just wanted to know if I a am completely out of time. I would be very thankful to anybody who could very briefly inform me for what kind of translations trados provides what kind of advantages, if it really makes you work faster and your translations more consistent. I see very often translation rates like 5 cent per word on proz.com. Considering the amout of words per day necessary to rentabilize these rates, I wantet to know, if it's just me who is slow, or if trados is the miracle of speed?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 05:06
German to English
You won't get rich relying on Trados Dec 9, 2003

Although I believe in TM tools (DejaVu, Trados, SDLX, etc.), not every translation can be performed using this type of software. The concept behind Translation memory software is the ability to re-use (leverage) translations you have performed in the past when translating new documents. It might take you a year (or two!) before you realize any advantage to using Trados (or another product).

A lot of the low-end jobs require Trados because the texts have a lot of Ja/Nein segments and the agency doesn't want to pay full price for you to translate "yes/no" a hundred times.

The whole concept behind getting a TM program is whether you think you can take advantage of the terminology management facilities offered by the program, not whether there are a lot of low-paying jobs available which require Trados (etc). There are a lot of well-paying jobs that also require a TM program.
Kevin

Pilar T. Bayle  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
CATs in general Dec 9, 2003

As I do not have neither mobile phone nor trados as a translator I just wanted to know if I a am completely out of time.

It depends very much on what type of translations you do. I have never seen a large project of software without a CAT. Since they work with previous versions, there is far too much inherited material to absorb with a simple glossary.
I use Trados, and have been using it since June 2000, when I became a freelancer. Many of my clients do not ask for it, but I use it anyway. For me it is a way of maintaining a coherent vocabulary, no matter whether the translation is 100 words long or 10,000. I have created memories for all those different subjects/clients and I use them. So, a few months ago I translated a large color catalogue for a oil-color manufacturer. After all the hours I devoted to get my colors straight, they are safely stored in a memory. If I ever come across another color catalogue, basically all my research will pay off.
As for a mobile telephone, ir depends very much on how available you are at your place of work (your regular phone number). I have it and I barely use it, because I can be reached at home. But sometimes I have been called rather urgently when I was away, because 10 words were needed to complete a project. And it was very useful: I just instructed my client to send the message to my hotmail account, went to a cybercafe, and solved it in a matter of minutes.
So you are not prehistoric, but it doesn't hurt to have it just in case.
Just consider the investment you'd need and whether it would be benefitial for you.

Best regards,
P.

Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Wahrscheinlich ! Dec 9, 2003

Andreas Schweinberger wrote:

I just wanted to know if I a am completely out of time.

Auf die Gefahr hin, von professionellen Kollegen in die Pfanne gehauen zu werden: Ja, Du hinkst Deiner Zeit hinterher. Offenbar benutzt Du einen PC. Warum? Die Tastatur ist doch auch nicht schneller als eine elektronische oder elektrische Schreibmaschine. Weil es eben einfacher geht. Seit Jahren versende ich schon keine Übersetzungen mehr auf Papier.
Die Erreichbarkeit mit Handy braucht man gar nicht zu erwähnen: ich bin häufig unterwegs und kann es mir nicht leisten Kunden auf den Anrufbeantworter zu verweisen.
Trados und ähnlicht CAT's haben Vorteile, die sich bei ähnlichen und wiederholten Texten/Phrasen auszahlen, von der Kontinuität innerhalb eines längeren Textes ganz zu schweigen. Trados kostet rund € 650 und hält gut 2 Jahre. Rechne das auf Dein Übersetzereinkommen um, zieh' noch den Steuervorteil ab und dann gibt es eigentlich keine Frage. Ausserdem stellen immer mehr Kunden die entsprechenden Glossare zur Verfügung, so dass auch Sch..preise für Übersetzungen wieder relativiert werden.

[Edited at 2003-12-09 11:47]

Libero
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Je härter die Pfanne desto besser die Omletts Dec 9, 2003

Vielen Dank für die deutlichen Worte und die Hinweise zu Trados. Ich habe noch nie eine Übersetzung auf Papier versandt und das mit dem Handy war nicht so ganz ernst gemeint.

Hans Liepert wrote:

Andreas Schweinberger wrote:

I just wanted to know if I a am completely out of time.

Auf die Gefahr hin, von professionellen Kollegen in die Pfanne gehauen zu werden: Ja, Du hinkst Deiner Zeit hinterher. Offenbar benutzt Du einen PC. Warum? Die Tastatur ist doch auch nicht schneller als eine elektronische oder elektrische Schreibmaschine. Weil es eben einfacher geht. Seit Jahren versende ich schon keine Übersetzungen mehr auf Papier.
Die Erreichbarkeit mit Handy braucht man gar nicht zu erwähnen: ich bin häufig unterwegs und kann es mir nicht leisten Kunden auf den Anrufbeantworter zu verweisen.
Trados und ähnlicht CAT's haben Vorteile, die sich bei ähnlichen und wiederholten Texten/Phrasen auszahlen, von der Kontinuität innerhalb eines längeren Textes ganz zu schweigen. Trados kostet rund € 650 und hält gut 2 Jahre. Rechne das auf Dein Übersetzereinkommen um, zieh' noch den Steuervorteil ab und dann gibt es eigentlich keine Frage. Ausserdem stellen immer mehr Kunden die entsprechenden Glossare zur Verfügung, so dass auch Sch..preise für Übersetzungen wieder relativiert werden.

[Edited at 2003-12-09 11:47]

Libero
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Dec 9, 2003

Pilar T. Bayle wrote:

As I do not have neither mobile phone nor trados as a translator I just wanted to know if I a am completely out of time.

It depends very much on what type of translations you do. I have never seen a large project of software without a CAT. Since they work with previous versions, there is far too much inherited material to absorb with a simple glossary.
I use Trados, and have been using it since June 2000, when I became a freelancer. Many of my clients do not ask for it, but I use it anyway. For me it is a way of maintaining a coherent vocabulary, no matter whether the translation is 100 words long or 10,000. I have created memories for all those different subjects/clients and I use them. So, a few months ago I translated a large color catalogue for a oil-color manufacturer. After all the hours I devoted to get my colors straight, they are safely stored in a memory. If I ever come across another color catalogue, basically all my research will pay off.
As for a mobile telephone, ir depends very much on how available you are at your place of work (your regular phone number). I have it and I barely use it, because I can be reached at home. But sometimes I have been called rather urgently when I was away, because 10 words were needed to complete a project. And it was very useful: I just instructed my client to send the message to my hotmail account, went to a cybercafe, and solved it in a matter of minutes.
So you are not prehistoric, but it doesn't hurt to have it just in case.
Just consider the investment you'd need and whether it would be benefitial for you.

Best regards,
P.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic question to Trados

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs