Thread poster: Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:15
Member (2003)
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Jul 16, 2001

Does anyone have SDLX and can give some feedback on pros and cons? I\'ve downloaded a trial version and it seems very user-friendly and easy-to-use (but of course, compared to TRANSIT anything is easy...). Is it compatible with TRADOS? Meaning: can I work on SDLX and deliver files that can be edited on TRADOS? The same question applies to TRANSIT: can I work on TRANSIT and deliver my translation to a client demanding TRADOS? I really don\'t want to spend more money on a CAT Tool or be forced to buy TRADOS, since the feedback I have gotten from most colleagues is not a very favourable one. So I\'d rather keep on working with TRANSIT or buy SDLX (so much cheaper!).

Your feedback is appreciated!

Daphne

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxeurotransl
German to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2001

I just got SDLX myself, and from the looks of it, I am tempted to make it my favourite CAT tool (closely followed by Déjà Vu).

Yes, SDLX is compatible with Trados (and so is DV). The only trouble-maker is Trados; it is not compatible with anything!

I can\'t say anything about Transit except that I will never use it. I have heard too many bad things about it.

What I really like about SDLX is the ease with which you can set up and start a project - you don\'t have to spend half a day (like with Trados). And it is also priced more favorably than all of the other CAT tools out there.

Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2003)
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jul 18, 2001

Thanks for the feedback, Werner. It\'s good to know that somebody else got an equally good impression. I also checked with SDL about the compatibility a couple of days ago, and they confirmed it: you can import a TRADOS file with tags, translate it without all those annoying tags, and deliver a TRADOS file full of tags again. It\'s even possible to export a 100% TRADOS compatible TM.

What\'s more, the support service\'s reply was instant and very thorough - which, I gather, is not the case with TRADOS, and definitely isn\'t with STAR.

And now that I\'ve played around with it a bit, I can confirm you\'re right: SDLX is almost suspiciously quick! I was surprised to see how easy it was to import / export projects. It is a nightmare with TRANSIT, something always goes wrong, one way or another... So I think I\'ll just switch over to SDLX, too, why settle for anything less??

xxxeurotransl
German to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2001

Right on, Daphne.

For me, it\'s still a toss-up between SDLX and DV, even though I have been using SDLX more and more over the last 7 days.

What is more: SDLX supports all kinds of formats (incl. PowerPoint).

It is very clear now: Trados is the worst product: it takes forever to set up a project, it is full of glitches, ....... Never again. This is one software I will definitely not upgrade anymore.

My vote goes to SDLX and DV (equally)

xxxeurotransl
German to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2001

Quite frankly, if it were not for the unreasonably high number of agencies that constantly require \"Trados translators\", there would be no reason at all to get it.

Trados lives on hype and hype alone. DV and SDLX are truly professional programs that cater to the needs and requirements of freelancers (unlike Trados).

My hope is that agencies will come to see the downsides of Trados now that the 5.0 version is out (and full of glitches) and, fingers crossed, will switch to DV or SDLX. After all, any sane project manager will see that Trados wastes too much time setting up a project - with SDLX or DV, this is not a problem at all.

In addition, preparing glossaries or \"termbases\" is so much easier with DV (I have no experience with SDLX in this regard yet).

On a more general note (even though it does not really fit in here): I believe that CAT software should benefit the individual translator, in terms of facilitating the translation process, building glossaries, etc. However, many agencies (especially those that have a fixation for Trados) are only interested in taking advantage of freelancers by \"manipulating\" the word count (repetitions, fuzzy matches, etc.). This was not the original concept behind CAT!!!!!!

JPESSIQUE
English to French
Using SDLX and DV Oct 7, 2001

[quote]

On 2001-07-19 16:34, eurotransl wrote:

Quite frankly, if it were not for the unreasonably high number of agencies that constantly require \"Trados translators\", there would be no reason at all to get it.

Trados lives on hype and hype alone. DV and SDLX are truly professional programs that cater to the needs and requirements of freelancers (unlike Trados).

I do agree with you. Trados is tedious and when it comes to translationg HTML or Powerpoint files it is far more complicated than with DV or SDLX.

One new very interesting feature in SDLX is the possibility to have a machine translation when no matching sentence is found in the translation memory.

Unfortunately (in French) the machine translation engine linked to SDLX is somewhat limited and simplistic. But it remains a helpful feature and we may hope that the MT system will be improved shortly

I have matched the use of the Reverso MT system with DV too. Unfortunately the switching from one window to the other is a little tedious. But it does spare quite a lot of typing.

Valeri Serikov  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados and Transit compatibility Dec 24, 2001

I tried to convert Transit language pairs into Trados 5 Freelance format, it worked out well. Sometimes it (Trados) says that some segments were not imported (via TMX), but in general it is OK. As for Trados - Transit conversion, have not tried it so far)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX and TRANSIT compatibility with TRADOS

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs