Tony.J.A.@DT
Tony.J.A.@DT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:38
English to French
+ ...
Sep 27, 2011

Hi everyone!

I'm a happy and satisfied SDL Trados 2009 customer, and they just released this new version.

I read all about Trados 2011, it sounds so great it could almost make coffee... but my real question is it worth it?

I’d be curious to know the general consensus about upgrading so earlier. (I usually upgrade to a new Windows OS year after release)

Wouldn't it be preferable for me to wait a few months so they iron out the unavoidable bu
... See more
Hi everyone!

I'm a happy and satisfied SDL Trados 2009 customer, and they just released this new version.

I read all about Trados 2011, it sounds so great it could almost make coffee... but my real question is it worth it?

I’d be curious to know the general consensus about upgrading so earlier. (I usually upgrade to a new Windows OS year after release)

Wouldn't it be preferable for me to wait a few months so they iron out the unavoidable bugs at the beginning?

How many of you plan to upgrade?

Will translations agencies working with 2011 require me to have the latest version to send them return packages using 2009?

PS: I also was under the impression that 2009 users would have a free upgrade to 2011... But maybe I just dreamt that...
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:38
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Impressed Sep 27, 2011

Tony.J.A.@DT wrote:
I'm a happy and satisfied SDL Trados 2009 customer...

Wow!

(Sorry, I could not help it. My apologies)

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Go ahead! Sep 27, 2011

I've been beta testing Studio 2011 and would really recommend you upgrading. You say you've read about it, so I won't go into all the details, but personally I find the following new features really useful:

- Possibility of processing bilingual Word files in Studio
- Much improved display filter settings (filter by locked/unlocked, numbers only, with tracked changes)
- Add words to autotext list on the fly.
- MS Word spell checker (that also means you add to your W
... See more
I've been beta testing Studio 2011 and would really recommend you upgrading. You say you've read about it, so I won't go into all the details, but personally I find the following new features really useful:

- Possibility of processing bilingual Word files in Studio
- Much improved display filter settings (filter by locked/unlocked, numbers only, with tracked changes)
- Add words to autotext list on the fly.
- MS Word spell checker (that also means you add to your Word custom dictionary, not a different Studio one).

Stability-wise things look very good. I'm working on a big project right now and I haven't had any crashes. I'm merging 30 files at a time and it's coping!

Studio 2011 prof has the option to create packages that are 2009 compatible, so that won't be an issue. However, I don't think you can change between the 2 versions using the same project because Studio 2011 doesn't create the scores of filetypes inside the project as 2009 used to. You can also run 2009 and 2011 on the same machine if you want to.

Yes, I think you were dreaming about free upgrades to 2011 from 2009 (unless you have a PSMA service agreement) but any Service Packs that are brought out in the future would be provided for free.

Hope that helps.
Collapse

Tony.J.A.@DT
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interesting Sep 27, 2011

@Tomas: haha well let's just say I'm "relatively" happy and satisfied... satisfied?

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Studio 2011 prof has the option to create packages that are 2009 compatible, so that won't be an issue. However, I don't think you can change between the 2 versions using the same project because Studio 2011 doesn't create the scores of filetypes inside the project as 2009 used to. You can also run 2009 and 2011 on the same machine if you want to.

Thank you Emma for alleviating my worries about this part, as 95% of the agencies I work with use Trados packages as the main method of delivery, so you can imagine this is quite the critical issue for me.

I've talked to a few clients and although they already have received their upgrade (free or otherwise), they told me that they will wait before implementing it until they are more familiar with it and don't plan on asking their translator to upgrade... just yet.

I'm also glad to hear about the more stable environment.

michareisel (X)
michareisel (X)
Netherlands
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Backward compatible? Sep 28, 2011

I also would like to know if the Studio 2011 version is backward compatible with 2007 or 2009?

Can you take a 2007 ttx file, open it in Studio 2011 and after working on it, export it back to 2007 ttx format? And what about a word file unclean trados 2007?

Can you import a studio 2009 file into studio 2011 and export it again later to Studio 2009?

The group buying idea on Proz is a good deal 505 EUR instead of 745 for the upgrade from 2009 or 945 EUR for the
... See more
I also would like to know if the Studio 2011 version is backward compatible with 2007 or 2009?

Can you take a 2007 ttx file, open it in Studio 2011 and after working on it, export it back to 2007 ttx format? And what about a word file unclean trados 2007?

Can you import a studio 2009 file into studio 2011 and export it again later to Studio 2009?

The group buying idea on Proz is a good deal 505 EUR instead of 745 for the upgrade from 2009 or 945 EUR for the 2011 version if you do not have 2009 installed
but the deadline of 1st October is only a few days away. Anyone knows if that will be extended?

thanks
micha
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Some answers Sep 28, 2011

Micha Reisel wrote:

Can you take a 2007 ttx file, open it in Studio 2011 and after working on it, export it back to 2007 ttx format?

Yes you can. You could in 2009 too.

And what about a word file unclean trados 2007?

Yes, you can. This is new for 2011. You can't create the bilingual Word file from scratch, but since your question is about unclean Word files, then the answer is yes.

Yes you can. You'd create a different project for it in Studio 2011, but you can use the 2009 sdlxliff file. And then you can open the translated file in 2009 later.

the deadline of 1st October is only a few days away. Anyone knows if that will be extended?

Not so sure on this one. I think I have seen these deadlines extended when the maximum number of buyers is not completed by that date.

Will Kelly
Will Kelly
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
Free upgrade from 2009 to 2011 Sep 28, 2011

The free upgrade from 2009 to 2011 is for anyone who bought 2009 on or after 1 July 2011. SDL are automatically sending out e-mails to those eligible. I've received one, but am a bit wary about upgrading so soon - none of my agencies are using 2011 yet.

michareisel (X)
michareisel (X)
Netherlands
English to Norwegian
+ ...
upgrade Oct 2, 2011

I bought the upgrade from 2009 studio freelance plus to 2011 studio freelance plus for 150 EUR, happy with that

Tony.J.A.@DT
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I guess Oct 2, 2011

I'm gonna wait and see if proz offers another wave of group purchase that would include upgrading.
A nice discount would seal the deal for sure, but for now I'll just keep 2009.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I upgrade to SDL Trados 2011?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »