Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: Which brand of laptop would you recommend?
Thread poster: aneta_xh
aneta_xh
aneta_xh  Identity Verified
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jul 18, 2004

I am ready to buy my first laptop (Finally!).

Which brand would you recommend for me and why? I would like to get your opinions first before I make my choice. Thank you so much for your help.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:28
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
More info? Jul 18, 2004

Which brand would you recommend for me and why?

Hi Aneta,

why don't you give us some more information about you and your requirements? This way it will be a lot easier to give you suggestions that fit your situation.

Good luck,
Stefanie

Nina Burkard
Nina Burkard
Italy
English to German
+ ...
Dell computers Jul 18, 2004

Hi Aneta!

I always recommend Dell computers. They aren't cheap but high-quality. Moreover, Dell offers a very good service and the computers can be customized according to your needs.
For more information have a look at www.dell.com

Have a nice weekend!

Nina

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Any brand you like Jul 18, 2004

You are asking the same, as would you ask if Chrysler is better than Ford, or if you should buy your next car from Mercedes, Honda or Ferrari...

More important than a particular brand is, what type of processor, which amount of memory and how big the screen is.
Go to the next big dealer, having more brands and choose the best one (notebook, not brand) you can afford.

Regards
Jerzy

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Any brand Jul 18, 2004

I agree with Jerzy. The notebook should suite your requirements, the brand is not important.

Answer yourself the following questions: How big screen do you need? (The bigger the better, but usually heavier and more expensive.) Will you travel a lot with the notebook? If yes, it should not be too heavy. How long should it be able to run on batteries? Is keyboard important to you (if yes, you should try to type on it for a while), or are you going to use external one? What kind of app
... See more
I agree with Jerzy. The notebook should suite your requirements, the brand is not important.

Answer yourself the following questions: How big screen do you need? (The bigger the better, but usually heavier and more expensive.) Will you travel a lot with the notebook? If yes, it should not be too heavy. How long should it be able to run on batteries? Is keyboard important to you (if yes, you should try to type on it for a while), or are you going to use external one? What kind of applications will you run on it - that is, how fast processor and how much memory do you need? Etc.
Collapse

aneta_xh
aneta_xh  Identity Verified
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you to everyone and sorry Jul 18, 2004

for not giving more details.

I would like to have a fast processor and lots of memory (I understand that you can buy more memory separately.) Memory is very important to me since I would like to keep lots of files (and they are long and big!) stored in it. My friend has an HP laptop and he has always heating problems, so I thought that the brand might be important. Has anyone else has had similar problems with an HP laptop? Yes, I have been travelling a lot lately, so I would like t
... See more

I would like to have a fast processor and lots of memory (I understand that you can buy more memory separately.) Memory is very important to me since I would like to keep lots of files (and they are long and big!) stored in it. My friend has an HP laptop and he has always heating problems, so I thought that the brand might be important. Has anyone else has had similar problems with an HP laptop? Yes, I have been travelling a lot lately, so I would like to use this laptop only when I travell. When I am in my office, I have a big computer and do not need to use my laptop.

I might go to the store today or maybe tomorrow to check some laptops there. Would you recommend buying it online? I have heard that it is cheaper to buy a brand new laptop online, but I am not sure.

Thanks again.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Be carefull, laptops are not easy upgradeable Jul 18, 2004

aneta_xh wrote:

I would like to have a fast processor and lots of memory (I understand that you can buy more memory separately.) Memory is very important to me since I would like to keep lots of files (and they are long and big!) stored in it. My friend has an HP laptop and he has always heating problems, so I thought that the brand might be important. Has anyone else has had similar problems with an HP laptop? Yes, I have been travelling a lot lately, so I would like to use this laptop only when I travell. When I am in my office, I have a big computer and do not need to use my laptop.

I might go to the store today or maybe tomorrow to check some laptops there. Would you recommend buying it online? I have heard that it is cheaper to buy a brand new laptop online, but I am not sure.

Thanks again.

Mostly you can insert only one extra memory module, and not of any type and any dimension. I tried to upgrade my Toshiba with Infineon memory and it did not work, so I had to buy Samsung, and smaller modules.
In my actuall Sony I can install only 256 MB additional memory. So take all this into consideration BEFORE you buy. Afterwards you will not be able to upgrade anything at reasonable costs.
IMO Toshiba or Sony are great, but there are a lot of people using Acer, Dell and all other brands. As long the whole thing is what you wanted, you should be happy with any of them. What I surely wouldn't do is to buy a no-name laptop.
You can consider a leasing of notebook too - IMHO a very good option.

Regards
Jerzy

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Notebooks Jul 18, 2004

aneta_xh wrote:
I would like to have a fast processor and lots of memory (I understand that you can buy more memory separately.) Memory is very important to me since I would like to keep lots of files (and they are long and big!) stored in it.

I think you are confusing RAM memory with hard disk capacity. But both should be high enough.

Overheating could be a problem of a specific model / particular machine / conditions of use. You can't generalize.

Prices in online shops should be lower. But you can go to a store, find a notebook you like and then buy it online. Many online shops allow you to specify exact configuration you want.

[Edited at 2004-07-18 17:49]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No, I do not Jul 18, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I think you are confusing RAM memory with hard disk capacity. But both should be high enough.

Check the specification of some notebooks - you cannot upgrade memory as easy as in a desktop, allthough even there are limitations, depending on chipset and mainboard manufacturer.
Notebooks very often need memory modules within very narrow specification. And you can be sure, if you go and buy your memory from your notebook brand vendor, it will NOT be cheap at all...

So it is advisable to take that brand, which is offering the biggest screen (if you really want to work with it), the highest amount of memory and the bigges HDD, but not necessarily the fastes processor.

Regards
Jerzy

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Memory Jul 18, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

... you cannot upgrade memory as easy as in a desktop ...

Sure. Please see my edited post above.

Ulrike Lieder (X)
Ulrike Lieder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I'm partial to Dell Jul 18, 2004

Personally, I like Dell laptops (I'm on my second one now). My first one lasted almost 4 years, and I had long "outgrown" both the processor speed and hard disk capacity when one of the memory modules failed after just about 4 years. By that time, I was more than ready for a new one anyway.

One important factor for me is battery life, and many of Dell's laptops have a multi-use bay. So I order a second battery and take the CD ROM or floppy drive out of the bay and put the second bat
... See more
Personally, I like Dell laptops (I'm on my second one now). My first one lasted almost 4 years, and I had long "outgrown" both the processor speed and hard disk capacity when one of the memory modules failed after just about 4 years. By that time, I was more than ready for a new one anyway.

One important factor for me is battery life, and many of Dell's laptops have a multi-use bay. So I order a second battery and take the CD ROM or floppy drive out of the bay and put the second battery in, thus doubling battery life. Very useful when flying coast to coast or in the event of a power outage.

As for the processor heating up, the Intel M series (e.g. Pentium 4M) are mobile processors and do not heat up as much as the regular processors (or so they claim). I've read that AMD processors generate more heat than Intel processors, so I've always stuck with Intel.

Other than that, you really do need to decide what you want and/or need. If you travel a lot, especially by air, weight may be an important factor as you lug the thing through airports - and screen size will affect weight. I'd say go for the absolute maximum you can afford - biggest hard drive, most RAM, but do take weight and battery life into consideration. Read some reviews before you jump in and buy.

I have always ordered my Dells online - one advantage of buying online is that Dell does not collect sales tax (I live in CA). Dell often has some online specials such as free shipping, or free upgrade to a larger hard drive, or 0% financing for 6 months, that type of thing. When I ordered my current laptop, they had the free upgrade to a larger hard drive and 0% financing for 6 months. I took advantage of that but made sure it was paid off within the 6-month period. Why not use their money when it's free.

My experience with Dell tech support has also been positive, the tech support guy stayed on the phone with me (more than 1 hour!) and talked me through everything until he was sure the problem had been resolved.

[Edited at 2004-07-18 22:56]
Collapse

pawlik
pawlik  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
a few points to consider Jul 18, 2004

Hi Aneta

Just a few points from someone who was in a similar position to you recently. Some laptops make a lot of noise. This is because processors generate heat, and this has to be dissipated with fans, which make noise. So the more powerful the computer, the more noise it makes, which can be extremely irritating. I'd reccomend getting a processor which is designed for laptops (both Intel and AMD make them). You won't get so much processing power for your money, but you won't get a
... See more
Hi Aneta

Just a few points from someone who was in a similar position to you recently. Some laptops make a lot of noise. This is because processors generate heat, and this has to be dissipated with fans, which make noise. So the more powerful the computer, the more noise it makes, which can be extremely irritating. I'd reccomend getting a processor which is designed for laptops (both Intel and AMD make them). You won't get so much processing power for your money, but you won't get a headache. The keyboard is important too, but it depends how easily you adapt. If you've got the use of another computer, you can save on things like DVD burner (but not CD burner) and hard disc space (it's basically only necessary for working with photos and videos).
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:28
German to English
Trade-off: functionality vs. weight Jul 19, 2004

When my daughter went to university last August, I bought her a laptop computer (Dell) which provided the same functionality as a desktop computer: large hard drive, 14 inch screen, CD burner/DVD player (and bought the same model for myself). My daughter decided that she liked to write papers on coffee shops and the library, and felt that the 5-pound computer was a burden. Dell (and other manufacturers) make a variety of light-weight computers providing fewer features/less power than a desktop c... See more
When my daughter went to university last August, I bought her a laptop computer (Dell) which provided the same functionality as a desktop computer: large hard drive, 14 inch screen, CD burner/DVD player (and bought the same model for myself). My daughter decided that she liked to write papers on coffee shops and the library, and felt that the 5-pound computer was a burden. Dell (and other manufacturers) make a variety of light-weight computers providing fewer features/less power than a desktop computer. The decision is this: lots of power or less weight. If you do a lot of traveling, you might want a smaller, more light-weight computer. I don't travel that much, but when I do, I need a computer that will run programs that require lots of RAM and HD space and burn CDs for backup purposes.

I might suggest that whatever computer you choose should have a built-in wireless Internet card. Wireless Internet access is becoming more common, and you should be equipped to interface with it.
Kevin
Collapse

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
For translation... Jul 19, 2004

... I would recommend
1) a big, high-resolution screen
2) min. 256 MB memory and
3) loads of hard-disk space
And, if you do a lot of mobile computing, go for a special mobile processor. If you mainly work near a power supply, then anything goes, these days; they're all so fast.

An IT-administrator acquaintence of mine has recommended Acer or Toshiba to me. As renowned brands, there is no problem with parts availability or repairs service.

BTW:
... See more
... I would recommend
1) a big, high-resolution screen
2) min. 256 MB memory and
3) loads of hard-disk space
And, if you do a lot of mobile computing, go for a special mobile processor. If you mainly work near a power supply, then anything goes, these days; they're all so fast.

An IT-administrator acquaintence of mine has recommended Acer or Toshiba to me. As renowned brands, there is no problem with parts availability or repairs service.

BTW:
Budget-wise; I work with translation memory, terminology software, electronic dictionaries and online dictionaries (browser) -- all at the same time. To handle all of this, no laptop under Euro 2000,- (in Germany) is going to make you happy...

HTH

[Edited at 2004-07-19 04:44]
Collapse

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Be careful with Dell Jul 19, 2004

I have recently been looking for a replacement laptop. Two members have mentioned Dell already, but my experiences are not good. The machine is highly reliable (I have an Inspiron 7500 and the the huge sceen is really great...)

BUT, God forbid that anything goes wrong !!

I have just found out what Dell charge to repair a broken hinge. Over Euro 250 !!! The hinge is of cast metal, and probably costs just cents to manufacture. Dell do not ship parts. They offer a repair
... See more
I have recently been looking for a replacement laptop. Two members have mentioned Dell already, but my experiences are not good. The machine is highly reliable (I have an Inspiron 7500 and the the huge sceen is really great...)

BUT, God forbid that anything goes wrong !!

I have just found out what Dell charge to repair a broken hinge. Over Euro 250 !!! The hinge is of cast metal, and probably costs just cents to manufacture. Dell do not ship parts. They offer a repair service including collection and re-delivery. It's the same issue if a touch-pad key stops working, a keyboard letter drops off ... Ouch!

This may be just great for big corporations who do not flinch at such repair costs -- but not for private customers, in my opinion.

HTH
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which brand of laptop would you recommend?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »