Should I take advantage of SDLX promotion for Trados users?
Thread poster: Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:01
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Aug 17, 2004

[...edited by site staff...]

I would like to know your opinion on SDLX 2004 Professional vs. Trados Freelance 6.5. Is it worth converting to?

I am a technical translator, I use Trados every day and I am quite happy with it. (The only thing I don't like is the formatting problem with MS Word files.) Quite a lot of my jobs come in Trados format (bilingual Word files or TagEditor files). I don't have any experience with SDLX and unfortunately I don't have time to try the e
... See more
[...edited by site staff...]

I would like to know your opinion on SDLX 2004 Professional vs. Trados Freelance 6.5. Is it worth converting to?

I am a technical translator, I use Trados every day and I am quite happy with it. (The only thing I don't like is the formatting problem with MS Word files.) Quite a lot of my jobs come in Trados format (bilingual Word files or TagEditor files). I don't have any experience with SDLX and unfortunately I don't have time to try the evaluation version during the next 3 days.

So, do you think SDLX is so much better than Trados that it's worth paying $795?
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
this is something one should know oneself Aug 17, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

SDL offers SDLX 2004 to Trados users for a reduced price. The offer is valid until August 20. See http://www.sdl.com/freedom

I am a technical translator, I use Trados every day and I am quite happy with it. (The only thing I don't like is the formatting problem with MS Word files.) Quite a lot of my jobs come in Trados format (bilingual Word files or TagEditor files). I don't have any experience with SDLX and unfortunately I don't have time to try the evaluation version during the next 3 days.

So, do you think SDLX is so much better than Trados that it's worth paying $795?
Hi! I have seen SDL and it is not bad at all. ButI already have Trados, Fusion, Déjà Vu, Transit etc., I wouldn´t miss SDL much. When I see the posting, not only at proz but other similar portals aswell, I see seldom any outsourcer strictly asking for SDL range.Additionally the price also plays a big factor. So one should really one´s own demand. Looking at the SDL range, the products are really fine. I personally have postponed, because I know, there are yet other range of similar products coming in course of time. So personally, I would concentrate currently what I have and be a master there.
Rgds,
Brandis

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
I wouldn't Aug 18, 2004

Hi,

I wouldn't "convert" any licence, as any CAT has its strong and weak points. Theoretically, one should have more than one CAT, but it has become a very expensive solution (It wasn't like this some years ago or, at least, it was still quite affordable to buy more than one CAT). I use both Trados and SDLX (and some other CATs, too). I prefer to use SDLX when dealing with *.ppt and *xls files, but would never use SDLX Align module. When I deal with a multiple-file project, I am hap
... See more
Hi,

I wouldn't "convert" any licence, as any CAT has its strong and weak points. Theoretically, one should have more than one CAT, but it has become a very expensive solution (It wasn't like this some years ago or, at least, it was still quite affordable to buy more than one CAT). I use both Trados and SDLX (and some other CATs, too). I prefer to use SDLX when dealing with *.ppt and *xls files, but would never use SDLX Align module. When I deal with a multiple-file project, I am happy there is DVX... these are of course very personal considerations.

Why don't you download the trial version (fully functional for 30 days) and try it?

Giuliana
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Two CATs Aug 18, 2004

Hi Giuliana,

I wouldn't "convert" any licence, as any CAT has its strong and weak points.

I should have said "Is it worth buying and having both" instead of "converting to"...

Why don't you download the trial version (fully functional for 30 days) and try it?

Because the offer expires very soon (the details were removed from my original post). But you are right, I will probably have to do it and find out myself.

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
A promotion? Aug 18, 2004

Because the offer expires very soon (the details were removed from my original post). But you are right, I will probably have to do it and find out myself.[/quote]

Should I take it as a promotion? If you apply as a translator on the homepage of SDL, you get the possibility to get SDLX at that price, regardless of whether they take you or not.

Klas Törnquist
Klas Törnquist
English to Swedish
+ ...
Try it yourself Aug 20, 2004

Hynek Palatin wrote:

ed by site staff...]

I am a technical translator, I use Trados every day and I am quite happy with it. (The only thing I don\'t like is the formatting problem with MS Word files.) Quite a lot of my jobs come in Trados format (bilingual Word files or TagEditor files). I don\'t have any experience with SDLX and unfortunately I don\'t have time to try the evaluation version during the next 3 days.

So, do you think SDLX is so much better than Trados that it\'s worth paying $795?[/quote]

You can judge for yourself. You can download SDLX and try it \"live\" for a limited time period.
As regards the special price for Trados users at present, it\'s bound to come back some time in the near future if you don\'t buy within the specified time.
I have been a subscriber to their newsletter for a couple of years nowq, and IIRC they have campaigns something like twice a year.
Pesonally, have DejaVu, that I use for all translations (also Trados rtf/ttx files) and I also have Trados.
A couple of months ago I downloaded SDLX and had a look at it.
To my mind, it seemed much better than Trados, but not better than DejaVu.

Klas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I take advantage of SDLX promotion for Trados users?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »