Mobile menu

your opinions on wordfast
Thread poster: hedsonia

hedsonia  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2004

I am about to renew my platinum membership and there is a wordfast/combination offer that could prove beneficial for me.
I have two questions:
1) Is wordfast very helpful and how does it work?
2) does wordfast interfere with trados technically speaking?
Thank you
Sonia

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 09:23
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Yes and No Oct 8, 2004

hedsonia wrote:

I am about to renew my platinum membership and there is a wordfast/combination offer that could prove beneficial for me.
I have two questions:
1) Is wordfast very helpful and how does it work?
2) does wordfast interfere with trados technically speaking?
Thank you
Sonia

1)Yes it is very helpful. It works a bit like Trados, but has better terminology tools that can speed up your work considerably. If you have a large glossary Wordfast can insert your entries where in the target text. Wordfast will of course also give you hits based on your TM as Trados does.

2)No problem in Word. Stick to ver 4.22 until the newer version is stable.

Wordfast is compatible with Trados, and you import TMs exported from Trados even if you export it in Trados export format. Remember to install Plus Tools before you do this. I do not remember, but I think you need Plus Tools in order to import Trados exportformat TMs into Wordfast.

...and read the manual.

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
ditto Oct 8, 2004

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:
1)Yes it is very helpful. It works a bit like Trados, but has better terminology tools that can speed up your work considerably. If you have a large glossary Wordfast can insert your entries where in the target text. Wordfast will of course also give you hits based on your TM as Trados does.

2)No problem in Word. Stick to ver 4.22 until the newer version is stable.

Wordfast is compatible with Trados, and you import TMs exported from Trados even if you export it in Trados export format. Remember to install Plus Tools before you do this. I do not remember, but I think you need Plus Tools in order to import Trados exportformat TMs into Wordfast.

...and read the manual.

Just to add...I've been/am using the newer beta version for production and had no problem.

Grace.
a happy Wordfast user

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice Oct 9, 2004

It eases my mind as I am about to invest in this tool.
Have a nice day!
Sonia

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:23
Member (2003)
German to English
Try it out first Oct 9, 2004

Have you actually downloaded and tried out Wordfast? Do so before buying it. The program can be used without any functional restriction for as long as you want. (The only limit is on the size of TM you can store, and hence the size of project.)

Good luck!

Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you guys, I will download now with peace of mind now Oct 12, 2004

Steven Sidore wrote:
you have given me the confidence that it won't interfere in a negative way with Trados (which I am learning at this moment)
you see, I have been an intepreter for many years, now I want to go back into translating.
Thank you again
hedsonia

Have you actually downloaded and tried out Wordfast? Do so before buying it. The program can be used without any functional restriction for as long as you want. (The only limit is on the size of TM you can store, and hence the size of project.)

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

your opinions on wordfast

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs