Thread poster: Yves Georges

Yves Georges  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:56
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 11, 2001

I would like to open a new dicussion on CAT Tools.

I have been doing an extensive use of Transit for almost 5 years. I have bought Trados and I am using it regularly (because I have to do it – see what I mean?).

In order to set up a comparison table about the existing CAT tools, I would like to set up a list of the features that a translator would like to have on a CAT tool and see how CAT tools are adressing these needs.

Conversely an appreciation about existing features would be welcome too.

I do not doubt that Henry (I know you\'ll read this Henry) will be interrested in publishing/maintaining such a table.

Just a personal comment: Trados has a predominant position, it seems to prevents them to make a real good product (but I have found some good/excellent things in Trados).

Another one: all the features I happened to ask to Star have been (with variable efficiency) implemented in Transit.

A last one: although I have worked relatively close to Star/Transit (I was Xgate for PC and Transit 3.0 beta-tester) I am absolutely independant from them.

Yves
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

áine Ní Bhriain
English
+ ...
expressing an interest in the comparison study Jul 4, 2002

Hi Yves,

I think that sounds like a great idea and I hope to be of some use at a later stage. I am using Trados at the moment but I\'m trying out the free downloads of Déjà Vu and Satelite PE too. I\'m working on a project to review the available translation memory tools with a view to recommending one for use with the Irish language. I\'d be happy to share any thoughts with you but need sometime to familiarise myself with the packages first. Just thought I send a note of support, hope to be in contact at a later stage.

Best of luck

Áine Ní Bhriain

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:56
SITE FOUNDER
It is a good idea. Jul 9, 2002

Perhaps I wil resurrect our old forum, created for that purpose.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados / Transit and other CAT tools comparison

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs