Advice on electronic German/English dictionary
Thread poster: tanaudel
tanaudel
tanaudel  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
German to English
Jan 20, 2005

My old hardcopy Collins-Pons German/English dictionary finally fell apart. I'd like to pick up a decent electronic dictionary, but I'm not sure what is available.

Suggestions for good dictionaries would be welcome.

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 06:54
German to Romanian
+ ...
For a start Jan 20, 2005

you might try dict.leo.org, which is available online.
The proz site also has a collection of links for various glossaries, you might want to check that out, too.

Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Electronic dictionaries Jan 20, 2005

The best on the market is the Muret-Sanders e-Wörterbuch, but it currently costs €199 in Germany.
The Oxford-Duden is a very good alternative and goes for only about €50. You might try ebay, where these types of dictionaries are often offered below list price. I would also highly recommend the Merriam-Webster III International Dictionary on CD-ROM, I bought it from amazon for about 25.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 06:54
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
... but how do I get them to work with TRADOS for instance Feb 10, 2005

Jonathan MacKerron wrote:
...The Oxford-Duden is a very good alternative and goes for only about €50...
I have this one and some others too. But then, it would be SO nice they would all help me with concordance search in TRADOS. Or expand the synonym search in Word. Or ...

It's so disconcerting - one has the word (the right one) at the tip of the tongue and then you dig through a pile of different interfaces. And eventually paste the wrong result over the complete sentence you succeeded to produce so far...

smo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on electronic German/English dictionary

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »