Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Wordfast - another CAT tool (here\'s a link)
Thread poster: Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 06:17
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Oct 7, 2001

Another popular CAT tool is Wordfast. I haven\'t tried it myself, so I can\'t really say whether it\'s good or not (I\'m pretty satisfied with my SDLX!) Those of you who are interested, visit http://www.champollion.net/

For some reason, you can currently download it for free (NOT a trial version - the real thing!)and have it installed on your Word toolbar.

Krzysztof
Krzysztof  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
Russian to Polish
+ ...
Wordfast Oct 8, 2001

The wordfast is very useful tool for translator. Personally I like it very much, because speed up the work considerably and helps in terminology consistency.

And of course is free...

Krzysztof

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tried to download, all I got was the manual. Oct 9, 2001

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
German to English
+ ...
The file is tiny.. Oct 10, 2001

Jon,

I was surprised as you were. In a couple of seconds the whole program was downloaded. If you are accustomed to the 10+MB \"bloat ware\" of others, this is like a miracle.

The whole thing is just over 400k! Read the instruction and it installs like a charm.

I am quite curious how good it is.

Ian Ferguson
Ian Ferguson
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:17
Spanish to English
Users Group Oct 10, 2001

I\'ve just recently downloaded WordFast, and I\'m in the process of learning to use it. It is helpful that there is an active WF users\'group at.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast

Yves Champollion, the creator, is a regular contributor.

Dora O'Malley
Dora O'Malley  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:17
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
WordFast is a great tool Oct 11, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-10-10 01:31, JE-Access wrote:

Jon,

I was surprised as you were. In a couple of seconds the whole program was downloaded. If you are accustomed to the 10+MB \"bloat ware\" of others, this is like a miracle.

The whole thing is just over 400k! Read the instruction and it installs like a charm.

Wo... See more
Quote:

On 2001-10-10 01:31, JE-Access wrote:

Jon,

WordFast is a fantastic tool. I love it and recommend it to everybody. Easy and simple. ▲ Collapse

Consult Couture
Consult Couture  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Trouble with Wordfast Oct 11, 2001

Hello,

I found this program easy to install and use, but now I am having problems with documents I previously created that have form fields for easy tabbing. When I open these docs now, the fields have the words \"Form Text\" in them and I cannot tab from field to field. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Please let me know if you have a solution. Thank you!

Best wishes,

Sue
[addsig]

stevo
stevo  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
No such luck Nov 14, 2001

I, too, liked the free aspect, but Wordfast crashed my computer too many times for my taste and once I had to start over the whole deal.

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No luck at all. Dec 3, 2001

I followed the installation instructions (put Wordfast.doc in the Microsoft Office 98 Startup folder) and absolutely nothing happened.

William Alkmim
William Alkmim
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Any tips? Dec 12, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-03 08:01, Jon Zuber wrote:

I followed the installation instructions (put Wordfast.doc in the Microsoft Office 98 Startup folder) and absolutely nothing happened.

Have you managed to run wordfast? I\'ve had the same problem you reported.

William

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Finally got it to work. Dec 12, 2001

William -

Read the notes in the installation instructions carefully. The problem seems to be in advising Word that you\'re going to teach it new tricks. (\"Add template\" or something like that.)

juncal (X)
juncal (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MetaTexis Dec 23, 2001

MetaTexis (www.metatexis.com) has been recommended to me as an alternative to WordFast. The MetaTexis site mentions a special price for Proz members, but I haven\'t found any indication here of the avaibility of the offer.

A brand new mailing list is available for MetaTexis: wwww.yahoogroups.com/group/metatexis.

Julio Juncal

Timothy Takemoto
Timothy Takemoto
Local time: 13:17
Japanese to English
+ ...
Wordfast in Japanese Jan 4, 2002

I just got Wordfast going in Japanese.

There are two ways to install it. One is to put it in word startup directory. Then wordfast will start every time you start word. Since I use Word more often than I translate I did not choose this option.

The other is to put the wordfast.dot file in the same directory as \"normal.dot\" and then select \"Tools\" \"Templates Addins\" and \"Add\" and then click on the wordfast.dot.

I have only trie
... See more
I just got Wordfast going in Japanese.

There are two ways to install it. One is to put it in word startup directory. Then wordfast will start every time you start word. Since I use Word more often than I translate I did not choose this option.

The other is to put the wordfast.dot file in the same directory as \"normal.dot\" and then select \"Tools\" \"Templates Addins\" and \"Add\" and then click on the wordfast.dot.

I have only tried it out but it seems like a really amazing piece of software bearing in mind that it is free. I should make translating a lot faster.

And it even works with Japanese.

Tim

Collapse

O María Elena Guerrero
O María Elena Guerrero  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tried to download WordFast Jan 13, 2002

Quote:

On 2001-10-09 15:16, Jon Zuber wrote:

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?

Go to www.champollion.net and you will be able to download it from that site.
[addsig]

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Wordfast is great Jun 14, 2002

Free, friendly, and progressive.

I recommend this tool to everybody.

David

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast - another CAT tool (here\'s a link)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »