Thread poster: lien

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 05:33
English to French
+ ...
Jul 20, 2005

I intend to buy a new comp with XP PRO.

Did you buy microsoft office or did it come with the comp ?

If you bought it, which one ? The office 2000 or office 2003 ? And which version ?

Is it worth to buy the 2003 ?

I have at the moment Office 2000, but I didn't buy it, I got the comp with everything on it.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxsarahl
Local time: 20:33
English to French
+ ...
try shopping around Jul 21, 2005

Hi Lien

I strongly recommend you check out bestbuy.com and dell.com
I bought a computer some 6 months ago, and it came equipped with office 2003, I don't think you really have a choice.
Most computers come with an OS and a software package now.
Btw, I have XP Home Edition, I didn't feel the need for all the -useless- bells and whistles of XP Pro.

FWIW

Sarah

German Services
Local time: 22:33
English to German
+ ...
Never Change a Winning Team Jul 21, 2005

lien wrote:

I intend to buy a new comp with XP PRO.

Did you buy microsoft office or did it come with the comp ?

If you bought it, which one ? The office 2000 or office 2003 ? And which version ?

Is it worth to buy the 2003 ?

I have at the moment Office 2000, but I didn't buy it, I got the comp with everything on it.

Dear Lien,

Some PCs come with MS Office, some don't. Mine didn't (I built/assembled it myself). But I had Office 2003 from an earlier system. In my experience, far fewer PC system have MS Office pre-installed these days; there are also great differences to where you buy (US/Canada or Europe).

If you got the "comp with everything on it.", didn't it come with a CD for Office 2000?

Anyhow, if you are happy with Office 2000, it did the trick for you and it's cheaper than Office 2003 (which I assume),why don't you stick with it (never change a winning team...)

Also, before buying decide whether you need mote than MS Word (do you need Excel, Powerpoint etc?) or is all you need Word for your Trados setup, for example. You can buy Word stand-alone and use "free" open source applications like openoffice.org for spreadsheets etc.

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 05:33
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jul 21, 2005

sarahl wrote:

Hi Lien

I strongly recommend you check out bestbuy.com and dell.com
I bought a computer some 6 months ago, and it came equipped with office 2003, I don't think you really have a choice.
Most computers come with an OS and a software package now.
Btw, I have XP Home Edition, I didn't feel the need for all the -useless- bells and whistles of XP Pro.

No, not here, the comp just come with the OS, no office suite, you have to buy it extra, you can choose from student, business and pro. And I want a Toshiba again. Increvable.

I want to buy it from a shop here, so if I have a problem it is far more easier to be helped than when I come with a comp I bought on line. I know how they are. They help their clients first.

I was wondering for going from 2000 to 2003, you know if it is important, like in two or three years for the compatibility. I don't want to buy office 2000 and realise in three years that it will be hopelessly outdated, like windows 97 or 98 are now with XP.

And you don't have any problems with documents send from people with word 2000 if you have word 2003 ?

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
French to English
cheaper with MS Office installed Jul 21, 2005

Hi Lien,

I think it will be cheaper if you get the new laptop with MS Office installed as compared to buying and installing MS Office separately later. MS gives a very heft discount to equipment manufacturers. The difference could amount to several hundred Euros. Also pay attention to which Office componenets come with the laptop... it is likely it won't include PowerPoint---I don't know if that matters to you.

I use Office 2003 and I am unaware of any compatibility issues with Office 2000. With a new system, I expect that you are better off getting Office 2003 directly.

Keep an eye on the RAM and hard drive size, these are both areas where manufacturers skimp to try to reduce the cost. In my opinion, you should view 512 MB as minimal and 1 GB as acceptable. If you will run applications like Trados or Dragon Naturally Speaking, then 1 GB is minimal.

Enjoy!
Bruce

xxxsarahl
Local time: 20:33
English to French
+ ...
More info Jul 21, 2005

Hi Lien

Well, I ordered my Dell on Dell's website, and now they see me as one of their regular costumers, I have access to their 24/7 customer support with my very own client+access code.
It doesn't seem to make a difference where you bought their product.

Re compatibility: I am using some of the files I had created with my old 98 suite, my less-old 2000 too, and I'm fine.

Anyway, before I made up my mind, I used the 2 sites I mentioned in my previous post to compare, see what was there, and try to figure out what I needed.

One more thing: I don't know if you have those in NL but if I were to buy a new computer in France I would definitely go to an assembler, that would save you 30% on the final price.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New computer

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs