https://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/3531-cat_tools_and_other_software_needed_by_translators.html

CAT tools and other software needed by translators
Thread poster: Diana Marfogel
Diana Marfogel
Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:57
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 24, 2002

I have been a freelance translator for the last two years.

I work with my PC, Windows, Word, etc. But I don\'t have any translation software.

I have decided to expand, and my question is: What does a translator need, in terms of the above mentioned tools, to be more \"attractive\" to potential clients, to expand, but without turning to be a \"factory\". My second question: My glossaries are in Excel at the moment. I almost don\'t use them, due to lack of functionality, althou
... See more
I have been a freelance translator for the last two years.

I work with my PC, Windows, Word, etc. But I don\'t have any translation software.

I have decided to expand, and my question is: What does a translator need, in terms of the above mentioned tools, to be more \"attractive\" to potential clients, to expand, but without turning to be a \"factory\". My second question: My glossaries are in Excel at the moment. I almost don\'t use them, due to lack of functionality, although I have valuable terminology there. I heard Trados has a special device. What do you know about that? Does anyone has experience with this?

Thank you! Diana
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:57
English to German
+ ...
Take a few hours and browse this forum Jun 24, 2002

I guess you\'ll find quite a lot of information here - difficult to give you a quick digest without knowing your circumstances in detail.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Wordfast!!! Jun 25, 2002

Dear Diana,

I was in your situation 3 months ago. Luckily, my friend told me about software called Wordfast. See www.champollion.net.

It is free and it will teach you everything you need. Later, you will be able to decide if you want to pay other software (my decision is to stay with Wordfast). Also, there
... See more
Dear Diana,

I was in your situation 3 months ago. Luckily, my friend told me about software called Wordfast. See www.champollion.net.

It is free and it will teach you everything you need. Later, you will be able to decide if you want to pay other software (my decision is to stay with Wordfast). Also, there is a friendly Wordfast group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/.

By the way, Wordfast\'s translation memory is compatible with Trados and vice versa. Also, you might have troubles exporting your Excel glossaries into Trados (I think, not being an expert), however, to use them in Wordfast is the easiest thing in the world!

Let me know if you need more info, I\'ll be happy to assist.

David
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
CAT tools Jun 25, 2002

Hi,

maybe it will useful to ask your clients (agencys). It is always good to use the same tools.

Hans

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Depends on what you need Jun 25, 2002

All I can say is that it depends on what you expect from a CAT tool. I for one have Déjà Vu and consider it far superior to Trados, Transit or any other CAT software I have used. That is mainly thanks to the AutoAssemble function in DV, which combines the Terminology and the Memory databases (and as far as I know, DV is the only software that does that). Moreover DV can import Trados files, but Trados can\'t import DV files, so you can perfectly work for companies that have Trados... I have to... See more
All I can say is that it depends on what you expect from a CAT tool. I for one have Déjà Vu and consider it far superior to Trados, Transit or any other CAT software I have used. That is mainly thanks to the AutoAssemble function in DV, which combines the Terminology and the Memory databases (and as far as I know, DV is the only software that does that). Moreover DV can import Trados files, but Trados can\'t import DV files, so you can perfectly work for companies that have Trados... I have to admit I can\'t compare it to WordFast as I have never used WordFast.

You can download a 30-day demo (full version of the software!) at http://www.atril.com.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tools and other software needed by translators

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »