Mobile menu

Which PC manufacturer has the best service?
Thread poster: Sonja Allen

Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:28
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 2, 2005

3 months ago I bought a new desktop computer from a small manufacturer. The computer was recommended by a PC magazine and had reasonable specs and price. However, I have had nothing but annoyances with it. First, the delivery was late (took over 5 weeks), and after a month of using it, I had problems when switching it on in the morning (sometimes won't boot). I tried to ring the helpline, but there was never any getting through. When I finally did get through, I was to check the connections inside. But they seemed all fine. So I was told to ring again, when the problems recurs. Which I did, but - again - no getting through to the helpline. They wouldn't want to send a technician to my home until they had found out over the phone what the problem really was. That sounds fair enough, but how can this happen, when they are never available on the phone? So I am not happy at all and I will surely not buy from a small manufacturer again. I consider to buy a laptop soon as a back up for my desktop and I am toying with the idea of going to Dell. What is their service like? Any other manufacturers with a good service?

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:28
Member (2003)
German to English
Dell's great Sep 2, 2005

I've owned a couple of Dell compuer (still have a laptop), can say only good things about their service. Quick, thorough, usually onsite.

That said, you pay for it in the purchase price... which is why I have a no-name computer that I take care of myself.

[Edited at 2005-09-02 14:06]

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:28
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Similar discussions and my opinon Sep 2, 2005

http://www.proz.com/post/72008#72008

http://www.proz.com/post/157323#157323

http://www.proz.com/post/79016#79016

In some of the above threads I have recommended HP laptop. However, I have changed my mind by now. I have my third HP laptop and they all have had or still have very bad heat problems. I am ready to buy another brand now!

Good luck with your purchase,
Monika

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 06:28
French to English
Dell Sep 2, 2005

I currently use a Dell desktop. I contacted customer service in January for some problems I was having, and they were great, spending lots of time on the phone taking me through various tests to see just what the problem was (as it turned out it wasn't hardware, but Windows).

Don't know about their laptops. My husband has a Dell laptop for work, but then again, his company has an IT service department that steps in when anything goes wrong...

Hope that helps!

Sara

Dave Summers
Local time: 23:28
English
+ ...
not Dell Sep 2, 2005

I've had some pretty bad experiences with Dell recently concerning my laptop. Bad customer service (which is located in India!) which is nearly incomprehensible, rediculously slow service, uneducated service representatives, etc. It's just been a terrible experience having to deal with them, so I'll go somewhere else for my next laptop.

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely give Dell a try... Sep 2, 2005

Hi Sonja:

I have two laptops, one Toshiba Satellite and a Dell bought in January. I used to rely mostly on the Toshiba Satellite, but after this year's lousy experience I had with their tech support dept. (Mexico's specific case; my machine started shutting down for no apparent reason, and I got "as worse as it gets" support from them and almost a five-week delay! for having them clean the laptop) I'm working smoothly on Dell. The only time I called tech support for assistance (setting up my wireless card), the attention was awesome, to the point that I almost had to hang up because we literally "perused" every detail on the machine!

Top-notch service from them...and lots of Kudoz as well. Definitively a buy.

Hope this helps.

Pablo

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Not Alienware Sep 2, 2005

Pablo Mayen wrote:

Hi Sonja:

I have two laptops, one Toshiba Satellite and a Dell bought in January. I used to rely mostly on the Toshiba Satellite, but after this year's lousy experience I had with their tech support dept. (Mexico's specific case; my machine started shutting down for no apparent reason, and I got "as worse as it gets" support from them and almost a five-week delay! for having them clean the laptop) I'm working smoothly on Dell. The only time I called tech support for assistance (setting up my wireless card), the attention was awesome, to the point that I almost had to hang up because we literally "perused" every detail on the machine!

Hope this helps.

Pablo

I bought a high-speed ultra lite notebook from them about a year ago. Had to send it back to the States for repairs (self-inflicted damage). I decided to get some upgrades too. To make a long story short, customer service (Miami) has been the worst in my life. The computer is great, but I'll NEVER buy from them ever again. I don't know about Sony's customer service, but a couple of friends are very satisfed with their Vaios...and the prices are much cheaper than what I paid for the computer from Alienware. Did I say I'll NEVER buy from them again?

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 00:28
English to German
+ ...
same here! Sep 2, 2005

Steven Sidore wrote:

I've owned a couple of Dell compuer (still have a laptop), can say only good things about their service. Quick, thorough, usually onsite.

That said, you pay for it in the purchase price... which is why I have a no-name computer that I take care of myself.

[Edited at 2005-09-02 14:06]

I am very happy with the customer service!

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry to hear that Kurt... :( Sep 2, 2005

Fortunately there are several computers options to choose from...

Kurt Porter wrote:

Pablo Mayen wrote:

Hi Sonja:

Hope this helps.

Pablo

I bought a high-speed ultra lite notebook from them about a year ago. Had to send it back to the States for repairs (self-inflicted damage). I decided to get some upgrades too. To make a long story short, customer service (Miami) has been the worst in my life. The computer is great, but I'll NEVER buy from them ever again. I don't know about Sony's customer service, but a couple of friends are very satisfed with their Vaios...and the prices are much cheaper than what I paid for the computer from Alienware. Did I say I'll NEVER buy from them again?

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
From a UK perspective Sep 3, 2005

I note you're based in the UK, so here's my two penn'orth.

a) I bought a PC from Dell once and they failed to deliver on the day they said they would. They almost missed the 2nd one as well, as the guy didn't turn up until about 7 p.m. after I'd stayed in all day (again!) waiting... I must say the PC itself worked great, but I was so annoyed at taking 2 days off work for no reason, I never went back to them.

b) I'd suggest that you buy a mag or 2 (as you did for the PC) and gen up on the type of laptop you want, then go to PC World. Some of the staff are reasonably knowledgeable (others less so), but it's worth knowing what you want before you go. I bought a Packard Bell from there, and have found it a pretty decent machine, and the one time I called the P/B help desk, they were great, AND the guy called back when he said he would - how often does THAT happen ?
I also found the level of support from HP (my printer's HP) very good the one time I needed it. Obviously I couldn't swear that they offer the same level of support for other hardware...

juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
My experience... Sep 6, 2005

...with Dell in the UK is very good, but we don't have laptops.

On the other hand the family must have had 9 or 10 Dells by now between us, (after the first Sinclair ZX or whatever it was) and we never think of buying anything else. The reason for changing is usually the passage of time and new developments/requirements rather than the computer actually giving up on us.

The last one we bought about four month ago was delivered within four days instead of the week they quoted first. (They did ring to make sure, that it would be convenient.)

We always make up our own specification, and we get what we want. There are lots of discounts floating about as well.
In any case, the catalogues differ for "home" and "office", so you better look at both.

Judith

[Edited at 2005-09-07 09:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which PC manufacturer has the best service?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs