Mobile menu

Anyone know of a decent grammar checker?
Thread poster: Colin Ryan
Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:37
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2005

Hi,
I'm thinking of investing in an automated English grammar checker to help accelerate revisions (especially post-translation). The grammar checker in Word is not very good (have a look at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/217802_grammar28.asp for an entertaining article about it). Does anyone use a third-party grammar checker and, if so, can you recommend it? (I'm really interested in grammar and punctuation checking features; spelling and thesaurus features are catered for pretty well by Word as it stands.)
Any advice appreciated.
Colm

Direct link Reply with quote

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
Thanks for the link Sep 27, 2005

I'm sorry I can't help, but I enjoyed the story. Word's checker is a kids-don't-try-this-at-home feature. I was proofreading for some 12 hours yesterday. The grammar check is truly atrocious. I can make it work for me, because I basically use it to help find things I missed, but I have to ignore its suggestions 95% of the time at best.

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some links to trial software... Sep 27, 2005

I have no references on their reliability, but you can tak a look anyway..perhaps they'll suit your needs.

Pablo

http://www.editorsoftware.com/stylewriter-software/
http://www.wintertree-software.com/app/gramxp/

Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 07:37
English
Nothing worth using! Sep 30, 2005

ryancolm wrote:

Does anyone use a third-party grammar checker and, if so, can you recommend it?

Colm

I haven't found any that are worth the time it takes to use. I can send flawless English in and it berates me for mistakes, and as that link you incluided shows - it have big problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone know of a decent grammar checker?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs