Mobile menu

Anyone know of a decent grammar checker?
Thread poster: Colin Ryan
Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2005

I'm thinking of investing in an automated English grammar checker to help accelerate revisions (especially post-translation). The grammar checker in Word is not very good (have a look at for an entertaining article about it). Does anyone use a third-party grammar checker and, if so, can you recommend it? (I'm really interested in grammar and punctuation checking features; spelling and thesaurus features are catered for pretty well by Word as it stands.)
Any advice appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:14
Japanese to English
+ ...
Thanks for the link Sep 27, 2005

I'm sorry I can't help, but I enjoyed the story. Word's checker is a kids-don't-try-this-at-home feature. I was proofreading for some 12 hours yesterday. The grammar check is truly atrocious. I can make it work for me, because I basically use it to help find things I missed, but I have to ignore its suggestions 95% of the time at best.

Pablo Mayen  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some links to trial software... Sep 27, 2005

I have no references on their reliability, but you can tak a look anyway..perhaps they'll suit your needs.

Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 07:14
Nothing worth using! Sep 30, 2005

ryancolm wrote:

Does anyone use a third-party grammar checker and, if so, can you recommend it?

I haven't found any that are worth the time it takes to use. I can send flawless English in and it berates me for mistakes, and as that link you incluided shows - it have big problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone know of a decent grammar checker?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs