Thread poster: Diana Marfogel
Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:00
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 7, 2002

Dear friends:

I have been asked by a foreign client if I can \"deliver PDF files\". Can you explain what he meant? (I am doing my first steps regarding \"CAT tools and other software\").

I open PDF files with Acrobat Reader.

I understand I need a software to send files in PDF format. If I am right, and before I buy Acrobat, are there other ways to meet the client\'s requirement?

Thank you for your help, Diana

Direct link Reply with quote

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:00
Member (2002)
French to English
Use a scanner? Jul 8, 2002

If the files are not too voluminous, many scanners will now deliver .pdf files: for example, my H-P 4470c comes with software that does exactly that.

Sandeep Gupta
India
Local time: 08:30
English to Hindi
+ ...
Try GhostView software to convert text file to PDF Jul 8, 2002

Usually PDF(Portable document format) files are created and viewd using acrobat writer and reader respectively. BUt there are third party freeware/shareware programs also availabel which you can use to convert a text document into pdf file.

I have used ghostView available through following web address and am comfortable with it.

http://www.godandscience.org/general/pdf.html

It works as follows:

Assume for example that you have microft word with you any other word processor will also do.

1. You create a file using a text editor e.g microsoft word, wordpad etc.

2. you print this document to a file(i.e instead of sending it to printer send it to file) you will find options to do this with print option.

3. open the prn file in ghost view

4. follow the instructions given in the document and save the generated PDF file.

You are ready with a PDF

Good Luck,

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:00
Italian to English
+ ...
Free .pdf creator Jul 8, 2002

If you go to the site www.pdf995.com . They have a free (paid by advertising) version of a .pdf file creator. You can download it and use it for free once you\'ve registered it. It will occasionally bother you with free advertising (this is what pays for it) but I don\'t find that such a hassle. I\'ve used it several times and it works well. It works as some one above said - it installs itself and looks to all intents and purposes like a printer driver - you \"print\" the document you\'re working on as a .pdf file. If you find the adverts are a pain, you can buy the advert free version at a modest price.

Apart from being able to show some characters that might be lost by moving between different word processors and graphic file formats, it\'s also a way of \"locking\" your documents, so that they can be viewed but are not very easilly modified.

I hope this has been of some help.

Sandy

Danilo Nogueira  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
As a simple Word file Jul 8, 2002

The same happened to me recently. The client wanted \"a PDF\". Now, creating a PDF is easy, but what the client really wanted was a pdf file formatted exactly like the original, a very complicated document done on Quark Express. And formatting a complicated doc the way Quark does is not a simple task.

If the client wants a really complicated Quark doc translated and formatted like the original, they should provide you with the ITD filed for translation using CAT tools.

Diana Marfogel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 05:00
Hebrew to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 8, 2002

Friends:

Thank you to each and all of you for your comprehensive answers. Now I am ready to consider what to do.

Thanks again, Diana

Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:00
French to English
Explanation of problems with translating PDF files Jul 8, 2002

I have an explanation of some of the problems you can expect with PDF files on my Web site that I prepared for my clients. Maybe it will also be helpful to you.

Regards,

Karin Adamczyk

http://www.macroconsulting.com

Ray Hunt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sending a .PDF is like sending pictures... Jul 9, 2002

PDF files can be attached much like pictures or resumes. I don\'t prefer Outlook, and Netscape has an easy-to-believe and trustworthy mail agent that handles attachments rather well. (and is easy to understand...) but the size of what you can send depends on your provider\'s limits on mail size. Juno and some the freebees only permit about 200 to 400k file transfers. Others generally speaking will let you send up to 2000k or 2 megs.

larger files will not go thru the mail servers at the provider levels...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I deliver PDF files?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs