Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Please convince me to buy TRADOS vs. other CATs
Thread poster: Chinoise

Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 8, 2002

I have been considering buying the best translation software existing in the world which is most suitable for English(French,German)-->Chinese translation(Japanese->Chinese,too,if I can manage to spare time there.) Evidently, TRADOS is one of the many captivating choices. However, my question is: Does TRADOS have any unique features or advantages which make it stand out against others?

Any valuable comments and persuasive ideas ultimately leading to my purchase of TRADOS would be most appreciated!

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-08 17:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-08 17:59 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:59
English to German
+ ...
Sounds like a case for the Trados marketing department... Jul 8, 2002

...at least that\'s my impression if I look at the wording of your posting.

I think the best way to judge is to get demo versions of different tools, and try them out for yourself. Personally, I find Trados indispensible, but I obviously don\'t work in languages which require unicode fonts.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is a mail I received from Trados Jul 8, 2002

Please take into account

Trados\' policy of custom support. If you need it individualized, they will charge you.

Follows is a copy of an email submitted by trados when I needed some help. Yes, they did help me, and didn\'t charge me a penny, but I think next time, If I\'ve problem they will charge me US$ 35.

Regards,

Clarisa

----- Original Message -----

To: \"Clarisa Moraña\"

Sent: Friday, July 05, 2002 2:49 PM

Subject: CM#3 Templates

Clarisa,

Please note the change in our support policy below my response to your question.

(follows the instructions related to my specific problem)

I hope this helps.

TRADOS provides a variety of free support options to our customers. Please see below for a list of these support and information resources. For individual telephone and email support TRADOS requires that you either pay per support incident or purchase a yearly support contract.

Free Support:

- During 30 days after the original date of purchase

- Support for installation and dongle related issues

Self-service Support Resources:

- Knowledge database at http://support.trados.com

Search the knowledge database for a solution to your problem; consult featured articles and answers to frequently asked questions.

Documentation

- User guides for the TRADOS products are installed with the software, and can be found in the program folders: C:\\Program Files\\Trados\\T5[_FL]\\Doc\\English by default. Please see in particular the Translator\'s Workbench User Guide (TWB5ug_en.pdf), the MultiTerm User Guide (MT5ug_en.pdf) and the WinAlign User Guide (WA5ug_en.pdf).

Individual telephone and email Support:

Pay-per-incident

- Phone or email support to solve a specific issue

- 48-hour guaranteed maximum response time (within business hours)

- $35 per incident

Support contract

- Unlimited support via phone or e-mail

- 48-hour guaranteed maximum response time (within business hours)

- $250 per year

TRADOS Support is available from 9 AM to 5:30 PM EST, Monday through Friday. Please contact us at support-us@trados.com if you are interested in purchasing one of the above paid support options.

Thank you,

Joy Cunningham

TRADOS Corporation

113 S. Columbus Street, Suite 400

Alexandria, VA 22314

support-us@trados.com

Please consult our on-line knowledge database at http://support.trados.com. For additional support please send a support request through the request form available on this site.

For information regarding training and support contracts, please contact us at info-us@trados.com.

Join the community, go to http://www.TRANSLATIONZONE.COM!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
A support agreement is money well spent... Jul 8, 2002

...not just because of problems you may have with the software. Quite often, problems are related to corrupt files, or files where some components are corrupt. Given that the Trados software goes pretty deep into MS Office, they know the \'ins and outs\' of Word, PowerPoint etc. reasonably well. Same goes for HTML/XML - I recently had a project where we needed to translate style sheets in XSL format, as well as XML files which were authored in an imperfect way. Thanks to the support from Stuttgart, it turned out to be plain sailing.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Regarding Trados (or anything else, for that matter) Jul 8, 2002

Never pay for something you can get [legaly] for free.

English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"No title" is a good title. Jul 9, 2002

Quote:
Sounds like a case for the Trados marketing department.....at least that\'s my impression if I look at the wording of your posting.

It would be fantastic if I were the marketing manager representing TRADOS.(You know why.) The reason why you have this impression is that the moderator(Henry?) modified the title of this message. Anyway, this good change does make this post more catchy.Thanks.

Quote:
If you need it individualized, they will charge you.

If this is the case, I really need to \"think before I leap.\"

Quote:

I cannot believe my eyes. Do you mean that TRADOS and other CAT tools can be used free of charge? How come? Please advise.

In sum, thanks so much for all the info. you have provided above. I really cannot wait to hear more from you all...Frankly speaking, I am really eager to discover a software which is most ideal for the translation from every language into Chinese...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-09 04:45 ]

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Wordfast Jul 9, 2002

Hello,

There are a few things very specific about Trados: its price and user \"un-friendliness\" of file formats, for example...

I absolutely agree with Dyran: \"Never pay for something you can get [legaly] for free.\"

I recommend Wordfast. It is free, user friendly, and it\'s fast developing.

See the creator\'s page: www.champollion.net

and the Wodfast group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Happy wordfasting,

David

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
CATs & Translators Jul 9, 2002

Hi,

IMO there isn\'t \"the best CAT tool\". It is a matter of personal preferences: some people prefer Trados, some other colleagues DV, SDLX, Wordfast, Transsuite, etc. You should try them all and see which one suites you and your language pairs at best.

Best,

Giuliana
[addsig]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
What you get reflects what you're prepared to pay for Jul 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-08 22:18, Dyran wrote:

Sure, you can get a lot of information and services for free (or, more precisely, without payment - usually the cost is hidden somewhere else). That said, I\'m happy to pay a certain amount to get that extra bit of support: if I just consider the amount of time it would have taken to solve some problems I had because of file deficiencies on my own, the investment has already been profitable.

What amazes me is that many people not only expect to get the tools they use to run their businesses for free, but also with free service alongside - yet they\'re the first ones to complain if their clients show the same attitude. Some distortion, me thinks...

Anneken
French to Dutch
+ ...
Trados: good service but Wordfast is free! Jul 9, 2002

Hi,

I use Trados 5.5 and I am rather pleased with it. I must say though that I have encountered several technical problems (I still can\'t use T-Windows for Powerpoint) which were - and still are - very annoying, but Trados Belgium offered me a great service every single time for free (at least 5 times in total), although they do not seem able to solve just any problem right away.

On the other hand, if I would have to start all over again, I would start by dowloading Wordfast (at http://www.champollion.net/) for free since this tool has considerable advantages as well. The price of Trados is excessively high if you consider that Wordfast has more or less the same features (100% compatible with Trados) and that you can download it for free and start using it 5 minutes later - whereas for Trados you will have too wait for the dongle to arrive, you will have to spend some time scrutinizing their manuals which are not all that clear -in short you will have to spend a few weeks getting to know the tool or pay another 600 € for a Trados training...

If I were you, I would start by Wordfast. If you like using it and are looking for a tool with more possibilities (translating html, Excel, Powerpoint, ...) then you can always download the Trados trial version, after which you may decide to buy it anyway.

Good luck,

Anneken

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Agree with Anneken Jul 9, 2002

I agree with Anneken (as shown in my previous message). I just want to note that you CAN translate \"html, Excel, Powerpoint\" with Wordfast!

David

Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados files: combine DV and WordFast Jul 9, 2002

I prefer DV, simply because it can handle more file types than Trados, because the interface is much, much better and most of all because of the AutoAssemble option and the combination of AutoAssemble and the memory database (which allows DV to suggest a perfect sentence, even if it is not in the database). To handle Trados files, I use WordFast (for analysis and pretranslations), after which I import the pretranslated WordFast file into Déjà Vu (through the Trados filter). DV is perfectly capable of handling Trados files, so personally, I don\'t see any reason why I should buy Trados. I\'ve tried Trados and I don\'t like it. But that\'s personal, of course.

Frankly, in my opinion, Trados makes translating cheaper for the customer, DV makes translating faster for the translator. I bought my CAT tool for me, not for my clients.

fwiw

Joeri

English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am so thankful to you all... Jul 9, 2002

Quote:
I absolutely agree with Dyran: \"Never pay for something you can get [legaly] for free.\"

I recommend Wordfast. It is free, user friendly, and it\'s fast developing.David

In what sense do you think it it free? Free trial version or eternal free use of it? Seems that many people are fond of Wordfast...I am wondering that if it is absolutely free, where can the company find its clients to buy this software? Thanks a lot.

Quote:
You should try them all and see which one suites you and your language pairs at best.Giuliana

Good idea, but how could I afford to buy so many softwares?Thanks, anyway.

Quote:
What amazes me is that many people not only expect to get the tools they use to run their businesses for free, but also with free service alongside - yet they\'re the first ones to complain if their clients show the same attitude. Some distortion, me thinks...Ralf

Sounds reasonable. Eventually we should pay for the free service that we have been enjoying.Thanks for your advice.

Quote:
If I were you, I would start by Wordfast. If you like using it and are looking for a tool with more possibilities (translating html, Excel, Powerpoint, ...) then you can always download the Trados trial version, after which you may decide to buy it anyway.Anneken

So, again, Wordfast is your preference...Is Wordfast good for translating into eastern languages? That\'s my major concern. Thanks.

Quote:
Trados makes translating cheaper for the customer, DV makes translating faster for the translator. I bought my CAT tool for me, not for my clients. Joeri

Eh... how good is DV? seems that I have never heard of it before...is it good for eastern languages? Thank you.

Every bit of the information that all of you have given to me is greatly appreciated.I am still listening and thinking...

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:59
SITE FOUNDER
MetaTexis Jul 9, 2002

Another optionis MetaTexis. There is also a free download. It is like Wordfast, but some people prefer it. It is completely independent, whereas Wordfast is sponsored/owned by Logos, and agency.

http://www.metatexis.com

Sorry to complicate matters!

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Demo Jul 9, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-07-09 14:56, BBW,linguist wrote:

[Quote:

You should try them all and see which one suites you and your language pairs at best.Giuliana

Good idea, but how could I afford to buy so many softwares?Thanks, anyway.

Dear,

I didn\'t say \"buy\", but \"try\": all CATs have demos, you can try them all without having to buy them, one month long.

Giuliana
[addsig]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please convince me to buy TRADOS vs. other CATs

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search