Mobile menu

Should I wait until SDL Trados 2006 is released before making a purchase?
Thread poster: Rebecca Hendry

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:21
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2006

Hi all.

I am currently working towards an MSc in Translation and Technology, and as a result Trados has offered me an educational discount for purchasing Trados 7.1 Freelance. It is a tempting offer, but one which I am reluctant to take up until I have explored all possible avenues as I am aware that it is a considerable investment.

My main query is, should I take advantage of this offer and purchase 7.1, or wait a month or so and buy the new SDL Trados 2006? Would it be worth buying 7.1 and considering an upgrade in the future?

This is the first time I am considering investing in a CAT tool, and I want to make sure I make the right choice. So any comments would be much appreciated!

UPDATE!! After speaking to my friendly SDL salesman, I have been informed that if I purchase Trados 7.1 today I will be entitled to a free upgrade to SDL Trados 2006 in March. Problem solved!

[Edited at 2006-02-14 10:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:21
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A tip from someone in the same boat Feb 14, 2006

Hi Rebecca,

I'm also nearly done with an MA in Translation Studies (in Israel), and made the decision to aim high right from the start.

So I invested in Trados (then 6.5, now 7.1) and almost immediately realized how useful it is, both for my work and for attracting serious customers. I do have some problems, mostly due to the bidi nature of Hebrew, but on the whole that was the right choice.

So jump on the wagon and the best of luck!

Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Now or never ;-) Feb 14, 2006

Hi Rebecca,

I also recommend you to buy the programme right away. The sooner you get your CAT tool, the sooner you can start feeding your databases, and this is far more important than the extra features that come with the next version. Besides, translation software constantly evolves, so even SDLX 2006 will be outdated one day.

Happy translating!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I wait until SDL Trados 2006 is released before making a purchase?

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs