Mobile menu

How valuable is Practicount (word counting / invoicing)? And MetaTexis?
Thread poster: Marijke Mayer

Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:02
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2002

Hello colleagues,

I am just wondering if anybody had any experience with the word counting and invoicing part of this free software program (with the purchase of the Platinum membership this month). The reason I ask as it appears to me to be just as simple to use the Word count and then use an Excel formula to calculate the price, which is what I am doing now.

Since I am asking one question, I might as well ask your experience how Metataxis compares to Trados.

Thanks in advance,

Marijke

Direct link Reply with quote

Angelica Portales  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Practicount saves time Aug 27, 2002

Hi Marijke,

If you have frequent projects involving more than one file, I\'d recommend using a tool as Practicount since it counts words from file batches instead of doing it manually on individual files.

I also find it very useful for generating file inventories for projects (which you can output to Excel or Word), since it counts words not only from Word files (including text boxes, which MSWord count fails to do) but also Excel, PowerPoint and HTML files. Also, it is very customizable (you can specify pricing per word, custom page, custom line or characters). So far, my only complaint is that currency options don\'t include Mexican pesos.

I was using FreeBudget (freeware) and liked it a lot, but it only works with .doc, .rtf, .txt and .wps files. There is also WebBudget for html and other tagged formats, but it\'s more expensive than Practicount. I guess it all depends on your specific needs.

HTH

Angélica

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-27 19:24 ]

John Moran  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 06:02
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Varied Aug 28, 2002

Hi,

I downloaded practicount as I was looking for a way of batch counting ppt files. It is pretty good but what I didn\'t like was that there was no option to use the count when you click on File|Properties|Statistics which is what clients use, so it is not much good to me.

If anyone knows of a tool or macro that handles ppt files it would be nice to hear from you.

Also, it hours ages to go do 20 ppt files but that could have been because of the files and it is not really a problem. On the plus side, it does have alot of wordcount options (hyphenation etc) and the UI is well though out but for the moment I\'m sticking to Traodos.

Cheers,

John

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting observations, John Sep 17, 2002

I just let Practicount count 34 PPT files (totalling 25.778 words - about 122,000 kB) and it took Practicount exactly 4 minutes and 48 seconds to complete the total count and deliver a Word document with all specs.

This may be a bit long, especially when you\'re used to speed of light applications, but I\'m quite happy with that.

The properties function would indeed be helpful.

Other than that, I\'ll stick to Practicount and Trans Suite
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How valuable is Practicount (word counting / invoicing)? And MetaTexis?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs