Considering a Déja Vu purchase. Questions.
Thread poster: Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2002

Collegues,

Just today I received an offer from one of my clients (an agency) to purchase Déja Vue at two-thirds off the price. They\'re still not giving it away, so it must have some really good features. I have never had a client (except this agency) who asked for files in Déja Vu, not like I get from other agencies who want files in Trados-format. Since I\'m not awfully struck by Trados because of leftover codes in my final documents and because it takes a long time to
... See more
Collegues,

Just today I received an offer from one of my clients (an agency) to purchase Déja Vue at two-thirds off the price. They\'re still not giving it away, so it must have some really good features. I have never had a client (except this agency) who asked for files in Déja Vu, not like I get from other agencies who want files in Trados-format. Since I\'m not awfully struck by Trados because of leftover codes in my final documents and because it takes a long time to learn, I would like to hear your experience with the Déja Vu sofware. I have instructions how to export and import TMs from one into the other, but how is it really to work hands-on with Déja Vu?

Then, is it easy to learn? Is there a support group like there is for Trados? Is there a number you can call (and that will answer the question).

Looking forward to your answers,

Marijke
Collapse

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL
Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's definitely worth it! Aug 27, 2002

Hello, I would go for it.

Quote:

Then, is it easy to learn? Is there a support group like there is for Trados? Is there a number you can call (and that will answer the question).

I bought DV last year, and it took me a while to start using it - but this was completely my fault. As soon as you start using it, you get the gist. Do not wait until you know a lot about the software to... See more
Hello, I would go for it.

Quote:

I bought DV last year, and it took me a while to start using it - but this was completely my fault. As soon as you start using it, you get the gist. Do not wait until you know a lot about the software to start using it. Just jump into it - of course, with some time in your hands.

I used Transit 2.7 before, and briefly used Trados (but never owned it). I can tell you that DV is much better than Transit and from my brief experience from Trados.

There is a list at yahoogroups.com - dejavu-l and to subscribe, send a blank email to:

[email protected]

The developers of DV are always around and they help a lot - without mentioning the big support the listmates give, which is great.

In a nutshell, go for it. If you have some time before taking the decision, you can download a demo (www.atril.com) and try it for 30 days.

But, with the offer you have in your hands, I wouldn\'t give it a second thought.

Best,

Adriana

Brazil ▲ Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Deja Vu support group Aug 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-27 17:54, MarikaJoan wrote:

Collegues,

Is there a support group like there is for Trados? Is there a number you can call (and that will answer the question).

The support group can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/ The group offers good support to new a... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-27 17:54, MarikaJoan wrote:

Collegues,

Is there a support group like there is for Trados? Is there a number you can call (and that will answer the question).

The support group can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/ The group offers good support to new and long-time users alike. The archives are open to the public, and members may post messages. People from Atril monitor the group and step in to answer questions when appropriate. ▲ Collapse

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
Just do it Aug 28, 2002

The fact that agencies do not ask for DV files, but for Trados files, is due to the fact that Trados has a better marketing department, nothing more...

IMHO, DV is far superior to Trados. I wouldn\'t hesitate, Marijke, it\'s a great offer.

By the way, my DV training was in fact a 20-minute phonecall with the Belgian dealer of the software, and that was enough for me to start using the program. It\'s really not difficult at all.

And if a client sends you a Trados fil
... See more
The fact that agencies do not ask for DV files, but for Trados files, is due to the fact that Trados has a better marketing department, nothing more...

IMHO, DV is far superior to Trados. I wouldn\'t hesitate, Marijke, it\'s a great offer.

By the way, my DV training was in fact a 20-minute phonecall with the Belgian dealer of the software, and that was enough for me to start using the program. It\'s really not difficult at all.

And if a client sends you a Trados file... you can translate it with DV without the client noticing.

hth

Joeri
Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
French to English
Worth the price! Aug 28, 2002

Hi Marijke,

I bought DV about 2 years ago at full price then. It was quite easy to learn and the first job I did in it (while it was still the 30-day evaluation) paid for the software.

The features I like the most are building terminology databases on the fly, being able to translate Excel, PowerPoint and HTML files without the awkward formatting of those programs, the possibility of aligning old source and target files and feeding them into a memory dat
... See more
Hi Marijke,

I bought DV about 2 years ago at full price then. It was quite easy to learn and the first job I did in it (while it was still the 30-day evaluation) paid for the software.

The features I like the most are building terminology databases on the fly, being able to translate Excel, PowerPoint and HTML files without the awkward formatting of those programs, the possibility of aligning old source and target files and feeding them into a memory database, etc.

I suggest that you download the 30-day trial and give it a go. The others have given you the address for the DV group, which has lots of members who are willing to help new users.

Good luck!

Erika

Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:32
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Deja Vu 3.0.29 for sale Aug 29, 2002

I purchased Deja Vu a couple of weeks ago and I discovered that it might not yet be ready for a Windows XP Japanese OS. I say \"might\" because I may have not given a try to all possible keyboard settings, as I was having problems with inputting accented letters; however I cannot waste more time with it, as I need to have various jobs done urgently. As everybody says, however, it should work perfectly on western Windows platforms. Please contact me via email for pricing.

Tha
... See more
I purchased Deja Vu a couple of weeks ago and I discovered that it might not yet be ready for a Windows XP Japanese OS. I say \"might\" because I may have not given a try to all possible keyboard settings, as I was having problems with inputting accented letters; however I cannot waste more time with it, as I need to have various jobs done urgently. As everybody says, however, it should work perfectly on western Windows platforms. Please contact me via email for pricing.

Thank you

Mario Cerutti
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Considering a Déja Vu purchase. Questions.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »