https://www.proz.com/forum/smart_shoppers/49693-one_more_reason_for_switching_to_laptops.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
One more reason for switching to laptops
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jun 19, 2006

If you think about buing a new machine, here is on more reason for buing a laptop: no disruption due to power failure any more.
Because the in-built battery will keep you running for at least 2 hours you will not suffer from data loss when a lightning strikes somewhere resulting in a power failure.
Regards
Heinrich

Atenea Acevedo (X)
Atenea Acevedo (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
A question for laptop lovers... Jun 19, 2006

Hi, Heinrich,

I hope you don't mind my replying to your posting with a question:

Am I the only one who just can't deal with laptop keyboards? My shoulders and wrists go on strike every time I try using a laptop. Are there any special secrets to being a successful laptop translator shooting 2,000-3,000 words/day?

Please, share!

Atenea

[Editado a las 2006-06-19 05:31]

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:23
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
You can use your favorite keyboard! Jun 19, 2006

I personally change from one keyboard to another as taste strikes me. I just got myself a neat wireless keyboard and here I am, shooting words away!

[Edited at 2006-06-19 05:40]

Lior Bar-On
Lior Bar-On  Identity Verified
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Laptops and keyboards Jun 19, 2006

One can adjust to any reasonable laptop keyboard, but usually one performs best with a large desktop one. I always carry my Microsoft Natural along with the laptop, getting far better typing performance in the process.

Other than that, my main computer is a laptop, a desktop being used for Skype, backup and what have you.

Another caveat for laptops is that they are very stealable. I would recommend having a laptop safe in the office / home.

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Special secret Jun 19, 2006

Atenea Acevedo wrote:
Am I the only one who just can't deal with laptop keyboards? My shoulders and wrists go on strike every time I try using a laptop. Are there any special secrets to being a successful laptop translator shooting 2,000-3,000 words/day?

The problem is that the laptop keyboard is too far away. Connect a normal keyboard (and a mouse) to your laptop. I work in this way for four years now, no problems.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:53
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Power interruption is just one of the many factors to be considered Jun 19, 2006

Where I am located (Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India), power disruptions are unheard of, and thunderstorms never interrupt with power supply for the cabling here is all underground.

Further, with UPS I can run my desktop PC for about an hour even if (ever) the power goes off.

Apart from the cramped keyboard of the lap top which others have pointed out, I find the small screen size irksome for I usually have more than three or four programmes running while translating: Trados W
... See more
Where I am located (Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India), power disruptions are unheard of, and thunderstorms never interrupt with power supply for the cabling here is all underground.

Further, with UPS I can run my desktop PC for about an hour even if (ever) the power goes off.

Apart from the cramped keyboard of the lap top which others have pointed out, I find the small screen size irksome for I usually have more than three or four programmes running while translating: Trados Workbench, MSWord, one or two electronic dictionaries and of course Google. The larger the screen size, the better under such circumstances.

Also, the laptop screen becomes invisible when looked at from certain angles which forces you to sit in a particular posture for long durations. This can give you a kink in the neck or a nasty back pain.

Lap top is only useful when travelling and in my opinion one should never allow it to take the place of the main work computer.
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:23
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Laptop = Freedom Jun 19, 2006

Just imagine the freedom you can enjoy with a laptop plugged wirelessly into a home router: the warmer room in winter, the coolest room in summer, in the garden if you have one or in your bed if you are sick.

And nowadays there are also several laptops available with a large screen resolution, so that keeping two program screens opened at the same time is not a problem anymore.

The only drawbacks are perhaps the lack of the dual-monitor capability and the more limited
... See more
Just imagine the freedom you can enjoy with a laptop plugged wirelessly into a home router: the warmer room in winter, the coolest room in summer, in the garden if you have one or in your bed if you are sick.

And nowadays there are also several laptops available with a large screen resolution, so that keeping two program screens opened at the same time is not a problem anymore.

The only drawbacks are perhaps the lack of the dual-monitor capability and the more limited hardware self-maintainability.

Mario Cerutti
http://www.aliseo.com

[Edited at 2006-06-19 08:07]
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 22:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
Laptops are portable and....... Jun 19, 2006

...that's all they're good for.

I agree with Balasubramaniam in that the advantages of a desktop will always outweigh that of a laptop.

Technology progresses and things get smaller but with PCs....bigger is better! That's my motto for this topic:)

Mark

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I disagree Jun 19, 2006

I used a 17 inch liquid chrystal screen for about three years, before I got my laptop. First I had planned to use the old screen in parallel with the inbuilt screen (easy to plug in), but I never found it necessary. I plugged my old keyboard and my old mouse via USB-adapter into the laptop (stupid word, never keep it in my lap) and work in exactly the same position as before, on the same chair at the same desk (with keyboard shelve).
Though the screen is a bit smaller I'm just too lazy to
... See more
I used a 17 inch liquid chrystal screen for about three years, before I got my laptop. First I had planned to use the old screen in parallel with the inbuilt screen (easy to plug in), but I never found it necessary. I plugged my old keyboard and my old mouse via USB-adapter into the laptop (stupid word, never keep it in my lap) and work in exactly the same position as before, on the same chair at the same desk (with keyboard shelve).
Though the screen is a bit smaller I'm just too lazy to plug the TFT in. I work seldom with workbench, perhaps when a bigger Trados job comes in I will try it.
I do not intend to use the portable computer (=laptop) on journeys, perhaps I will take it sometimes with me to show our photos to relatives. I cannot find any reason why I would spoil my holiday by taking work along.
I just wanted to point this advantage out to colleagues which are not so fortunate as Balasubramaniam from India. Power failures are rare, but they usually happen when important work is in progress and you have no backup.
IN addition to lightning there are storms and snowstorms felling trees agains powerlines, last winter was a record breaking season in this respect.
Happy Midsommer week to all!
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2006-06-19 07:55]
Collapse

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

keybord + mouse Jun 19, 2006

When I bought a laptop a year ago, I bought at the same time the USB-keybord, and the mouse, and they really go together well! I hit 800 - 1200 word an hour depending on the subject. Besides, very useful thing is a second monitor. I connected to the laptop the 15'' LCD monitor (that was left from my desktop), and now I cannot imagine how could I work earlier with only one screen.

Balasubramaniam, as far as I know the average UPS can provide electricity up to 15 - 25 minutes (besid
... See more
When I bought a laptop a year ago, I bought at the same time the USB-keybord, and the mouse, and they really go together well! I hit 800 - 1200 word an hour depending on the subject. Besides, very useful thing is a second monitor. I connected to the laptop the 15'' LCD monitor (that was left from my desktop), and now I cannot imagine how could I work earlier with only one screen.

Balasubramaniam, as far as I know the average UPS can provide electricity up to 15 - 25 minutes (besides, the longer time – the higher price), and they are designed mainly to provide the safe switching off of the computer, while on the laptop you can work up to 3-4 hours without electricity.
Collapse

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

view angles Jun 19, 2006

Balasubramaniam wrote:

Also, the laptop screen becomes invisible when looked at from certain angles which forces you to sit in a particular posture for long durations.

Let me disagree with you. The view angles of the laptop screen are very convenient to work with, unless you are working with graphic, and need 100% correctness of rendering the colours.

[Edited at 2006-06-19 09:43]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
One has to find the best soultion for himself on his own Jun 19, 2006

But I disagree that a laptop can fully replace a desktop.
Laptops have surely their advantages, but if you consider the price and what you get for desktop is simply better. With laptop you almost always have to stick to what you bought, enhancing something is both complicated and very expensive. Laptop performance lays behind a performance of a desktop PC.

I would prefer to have both: a desktop for daily working and a laptop for travelling.

Regards
Jerzy

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
why not both... Jun 19, 2006

well, I live at a place where we have quite a few power-cuts (in and around Delhi) so most people have an inverter (sine-wave if you want to operate a computer).

Well, I have a computer and am going to buy a laptop. Why? Simply because of the freedom it gives... come on... consider sitting in a garden and working much more interesting than anything else... and of course it's possible these days with wireless internet connection. But you can't actually move you PC the way you ca
... See more
well, I live at a place where we have quite a few power-cuts (in and around Delhi) so most people have an inverter (sine-wave if you want to operate a computer).

Well, I have a computer and am going to buy a laptop. Why? Simply because of the freedom it gives... come on... consider sitting in a garden and working much more interesting than anything else... and of course it's possible these days with wireless internet connection. But you can't actually move you PC the way you can move a laptop and I have often worked in Gardens and find it much more motivating... only, earlier I had to carry papers and then type it.. whereas now I'll be able to do it directly on the computer and save valuable time... and of course while travelling which means I'll increase my output and what I call pleasure quotient (PQ)

And of course it's especially motivating for everyone if you work in a team... I remember, I managed an important translation project for an organisation where I was working full time. The work had to be completed over the weekend and people were not very willing to work over the weekend and it was my responsibility to get it completed on time... so... we took the printouts went to a big garden with all our stuff and worked... ate and had a lot of fun in general (sort of picnic) while working. And we actually completed it on time. And the organization was quite happy with it, of course. On top of it we got some days off for that weekend.

I love my work and enjoy the freedom it offers... so I'm just considering adding to it. And I don't mind increasing the PQ if I can... I mean, why not?

Ritu

[Edited at 2006-06-19 10:21]
Collapse

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Both Jun 19, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I would prefer to have both: a desktop for daily working and a laptop for travelling.

I just bought a new CPU today, since my old one died during the weekend (terrible death, I have my two HDDs in the freezer to try to make them usable for a while, so that I can extract the last things not covered in the backup copy).

We have a laptop at home and I was running it during the weekend. Although we have an extra wireless keyboard and mouse for it, after a while my eyes get troubled by the screen, no matter what I do.

So, for long hours, everyday work, I do prefer a regular desktop machine. Another advantage of it is being able to expand hardware as much as you want, something also possible with the laptop, but always with a visit to the shop.

I aim at being self-sufficient with my PCs, not just softwarewise, but also in the hardware department.

P.
www.pbayle.com/blogs

PS: As for losing power, I recommend a UPS, a parallel UPS, in which the machine is always running on batteries, which absorb all peaks and sags, as well as poweroffs. Yeah, sure, after a while you have to turn it off, but it may be a great chance to take some time off.

[Edited at 2006-06-19 11:30]

[Edited at 2006-06-19 13:09]

[Edited at 2006-06-19 13:11]

Cristóbal del Río Faura
Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Laptop lover Jun 19, 2006

It is a matter of habits, I suppose. I have been working exclusively with laptops for 16 years now - the first one weighed 8 kg! - and I simply cannot work with a desktop PC. I love their design and look, and you have models just as powerful as any desktop unit. I find laptop's keyboard extremely comfortable, the only external thing I use is a mouse. With the latest high resolution models there are no longer any viewing angle problems, even working with complex graphics, video, etc. Current scre... See more
It is a matter of habits, I suppose. I have been working exclusively with laptops for 16 years now - the first one weighed 8 kg! - and I simply cannot work with a desktop PC. I love their design and look, and you have models just as powerful as any desktop unit. I find laptop's keyboard extremely comfortable, the only external thing I use is a mouse. With the latest high resolution models there are no longer any viewing angle problems, even working with complex graphics, video, etc. Current screen sizes provide enough room for everything. In-house mobility is a great advantage, especially with a wireless router - I can work everywhere at home and in the garden... I have still to try the bathtube hahahaaa. And if you have to move, you simply unplug it, take it under your arm and go. I renew my laptop every two-three years and keep the old one for backup purpose.

Cristóbal
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One more reason for switching to laptops

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »