Mobile menu

To DejaVu or not to do
Thread poster: stevo

stevo  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2001

Our group of translators is considering the purchase of DejaVu software. We have done the trial and are itching to use our credit card. Before we do, however, we would greatly welcome any comments, experience, testimonials or else?!? that you previous users might have for us, before we move any further. Thanks a million, Stevo

Direct link Reply with quote

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Deja Vu compatibility Nov 10, 2001

Does anyone know anything about the free software that you can get at www.champollion.net? They say it is TRADOS and Deja Vu compatible. Has anyone tried it?

Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:49
Member (2002)
Italian to English
Two thumbs up for DejaVu Nov 12, 2001

Stevo,

Don\'t hesitate - it\'s great software and the assistance can\'t be beat. I\'ve gotten help in minutes from other users and even on the weekend from the guys who wrote the software. As you know it works with nearly any file type and once you get used to it the interface feels like home.

Amy

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:49
German to English
+ ...
DV is the best, no doubt Nov 12, 2001

Yes, DV is the best CAT software around, followed closely by SDLX. Forget about Trados: too many glitches, and it also causes a number of standard features in existing software (especially WORD) to malfunction.

Also, what I have found, Trados does not work well with more complex WORD files: e.g., if the WORD file contains graphics, etc., Trados will crash frequently.

After having worked with all 3 major CAT packages (DV, SDLX, Trados), my verdict is as follows: DV - excellent; SDLX - very good; Trados - major-league lemon.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:49
German to English
+ ...
Update re DV Nov 12, 2001

Just received an e-mail from Language Partners International, a distributor for DV. They have just notified me that they will no longer sell DV and that they have switched to SDLX, because they believe that SDLX is the CAT software of the future.

So, there!

Alex Lane  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:49
Russian to English
+ ...
LPI offers an upgrade, though. Nov 12, 2001

I got the same e-mail.

I\'ve gotten my money\'s worth from DV, and the demo at the ATA Conference in L.A. seemed pretty slick (though you can beat me with a stick and I can\'t remember the cool new features). If the upgrade is reasonably priced, I might spring for it.

OTOH, LPI is offering current DV customers an upgrade to SDLX for under $100 (and you can keep the DV dongle, says the e-mail).

One of the pluses (in my book) to SDLX is not having to use - and risk losing - a hardware device that enables the software, as is the case with DV.

In any event, I ordered SDLX... now to find the time to master it.

Cheers...

xxxXX789  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
DV is definitely the best Nov 22, 2001

There is no other translation software that allows you to important so many file formats. Fuzzy matches pop up faster than in any other package.

Ever tried to import HTML or PGP script stored in Microsoft Access records? DV can do it. Almost everything is possible in DV. And even if the feature you need is not available in the standard menus, there are plenty of possibilities to get your files into the program if you use your creativity and fiddle around a little with the buttons.

DV is cheap, offers more possibilities than any other translation software in the same price range, and the support from Atril Software and other users is INCREDIBLE. I\'ve had several cases in which I needed a new file format implemented on Sunday morning and believe it or not, 2 hours later there was an update with the requested feature. With Trados, this would never happen.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-22 14:16 ]

Ursula Derx  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2005)
English to German
Software and help system (robohelp?) translation also best with DV? Jan 2, 2002

Hi, I was asked to join a software development team; my task will be to translate the software as well as the help system from German into English.

We are now in the process of selecting tools which are matching with one another.

1) which CAT would you recommend; I understand from this thread, that CV is the best....

2)which help tool would you recommend? We have used Robohelp previously; we could also use another help system, which creates ASCII files. Can DV cope with Robohelp and/or ASCII files?

Many thanks for any comments / experiences!

Ursula Derx, Vienna, Austria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To DejaVu or not to do

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs