Thread poster: Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:00
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 20, 2002

I have just started using Trados. I also downloaded Wordfast but haven\'t used it.

Are these two programs compatible?

Can I use both on the same PC without any problem?

Does WF have something like MultiTerm? If not can Trados MultiTerm be used with WF?

I will appreciate any feedback.

Kind regards,

Sami

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 19:00
English to Russian
all answers are YES Sep 21, 2002

You can answer YEs to all you answers

Read wordfast documentation for deatils.

We have both and several more TM\'s and they love achoher in most cases

dkalinic
dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Definitly yes Sep 21, 2002

The answer to all the questions is definitely YES. I myself prefer Wordfast though because its integrated into Word. You don\'t need any additonal applications to use it.

Anthony Dr. Williams
Anthony Dr. Williams
Austria
German to English
Careful Sep 22, 2002

When using either Trados or Wordfast be sure to deactivate the one not being used. If not Word crashes frequently!

Sami Khamou
Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:00
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you Sep 23, 2002

Thank you Arterm, Elena, Davor & Anthony. Your answers are very helpful.

Kind regards,

Sami

Verónica Ducrey
Verónica Ducrey  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast and Trados Multiterm Sep 23, 2002

I haven\'t been able to open Trados Multiterm files in Wordfast. Is that possible? Thanks.VEro

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast and Trados nowadays Oct 23, 2002

Yes you can open MultiTerm in Wordfast, no you don\'t have to be afraid anymore of having the two dots in Word/STARTUP. The latest version of Wordfast will disable the Flagman toolbar/dot.

Regards,

Gerard

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 02:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
Any troubles? Dec 12, 2002

I\'m also a starter of using Wordfast, while still in confusion to know if it\'s truly compatible with Trados in every aspect. I have donwloaded the most recent version of Wordfast and read through the Wordfast manual, but when I tried translating HTML document as a sample and submitted it to the potential client, she commented it would not be compatible with the file processed by Trados and they couldn\'t use it. If I remember precisely, she referred to the tagging function and Wordfast didn\'t... See more
I\'m also a starter of using Wordfast, while still in confusion to know if it\'s truly compatible with Trados in every aspect. I have donwloaded the most recent version of Wordfast and read through the Wordfast manual, but when I tried translating HTML document as a sample and submitted it to the potential client, she commented it would not be compatible with the file processed by Trados and they couldn\'t use it. If I remember precisely, she referred to the tagging function and Wordfast didn\'t produce proper segments Trados can normally creat. I accorded with the procedure written in the manual, admitting some parts were hard to grasp, and I didn\'t have any clue to know why all that happened. It says it can treat HTML file as well as Word file.

So besides its useful aspects everyone mentions, I may be interested in hearing any reports of troubles or \"bugs\" you may have come across during using Wordfast on any actual occasion, and let us know if it\'s truly compatible with Trados for such all the details as are interchangeable memory creation and management, tagging, segmentation, fuzzy matches, treatment of Multiterm. Does anyone have similar experience as I?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-13 05:50 ]
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Translating HTML with Wordfast Dec 13, 2002

Hi Minoru,

There are two separate procedures involved when translating HTML with Wordfast: tagging and segmentation.

When you receive HTML files from a client you have to prepare them for translation. I.e. you have to apply an untranslatable style to all HTML code so you’ll be presented only those bits that need to be translated. Trados calls this tagging. I know of three ways to prepare a HTML file for translation in Wordfast:

1. tag it with
... See more
Hi Minoru,

There are two separate procedures involved when translating HTML with Wordfast: tagging and segmentation.

When you receive HTML files from a client you have to prepare them for translation. I.e. you have to apply an untranslatable style to all HTML code so you’ll be presented only those bits that need to be translated. Trados calls this tagging. I know of three ways to prepare a HTML file for translation in Wordfast:

1. tag it with Trados,

2. tag it with Rainbow, a free tool from RWS Group,

3. tag it with +Tools, a free tool from Yves Champollion, the creator of Wordfast.

Rainbow is more user friendly than +Tools but in all cases the result will be the same: the file will be prepared the Trados way, using Trados styles.

When you open this tagged file in Word to translate it with Wordfast, Wordfast will apply it’s own segmentation rules that can but don’t have to be the same as in Trados. Wordfast can e.g. be set to accept empty target segments - a big no-no in Trados. And Wordfast might cut of a sentence after an abbreviation that has not been entered in the list of abbreviations. The segment will have to be expanded manually by the translator. There are at least twenty settings in both CAT’s that could be different but don’t have to be. Yves Champollion once joked that Wordfast is as compatible with Trados as Trados is with itself.

Wordfast has its own algorithms for deciding how fuzzy a match is. For me it’s hard to tell if a 94% Trados match is a 94% Wordfast match. I think fuzzy compatibility might depend on your language pairs, but I’m not an expert. The same goes for Multiterm glossaries. As far as I know they can be zapped open and used as a normal Wordfast glossary without any problem but just try one to see for yourself.

There are still some minor glitches in the latest commercial version but it\'s a professional tool I can recommend to any translator. The fact that Yves is building a CAT that works both on PC and Mac and supports all languages supported by Word doesn’t simplify things and I know some improvements are welcomed by Western Europeans and regretted by other Europeans etc. but I\'m constantly amazed how fast Yves finds solutions for complaints from any part of the world.

And I think Yves has a soft spot for Japanese - I believe he’s married to one – so I wouldn’t be too worried. Consider joining the Japanese Wordfast newsgroup to find out about the best setup to stay compatible with Trados.

Regards,

Gerard

Collapse

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
Local time: 02:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
Thank you, Gerard. Dec 16, 2002

Thank you , Gerard, for your precious advice.

As a beginner of using a CAT tool, I have to comment it\'s often harder than I first expected to read through the manual to be fully flexible on all the functions WF provides us. I may hope it would be a little more user-friendly even only in this respect.

According to your advice options, I think I will try on an HTML file again with +Tool to see if it\'s well treatable or not as I have already installed it
... See more
Thank you , Gerard, for your precious advice.

As a beginner of using a CAT tool, I have to comment it\'s often harder than I first expected to read through the manual to be fully flexible on all the functions WF provides us. I may hope it would be a little more user-friendly even only in this respect.

According to your advice options, I think I will try on an HTML file again with +Tool to see if it\'s well treatable or not as I have already installed it into Word2000. While I may need to check it out with a Trados user to confirm its validity. Meanwhile, I\'m searching one to help me in that realm. Let me see what I see.

Thank you very much again.

Minoru
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility between Trados & Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »