Trados ExtraTerm and XTranslated
Thread poster: Daniel Meier

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:52
English to German
+ ...
Oct 27, 2002

Does anybody have any experience with ExtraTerm and XTranslated?

For example: is ExtraTerm displaying just any word from the document, does it skip double entries, can you combine it with existing MultiTerm dictionaries (so it won´t show you terms,which you already have in your dictionary? Does it recognize terms with more than one word, is it displaying a word count, how about file formats etc.?

And how does XTranslated work? I only read, that it is \"document based\", but especially very short segments can have different meanings even in the same document. Or do you \"XTranslate\" whole paragraphs?

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
ExtraTerm Oct 28, 2002

Sounds like you should get a demo from Trados if you get a chance...

I haven\'t had a chance to use XTranslate yet, but I\'ve used ExtraTerm on a number of occasions, the biggest one being the extraction of terminology from the entire Rules & Regulations of Eurex, the European derivatives exchange.

Quote:

For example: is ExtraTerm displaying just any word from the document

Not sure what you mean by that - what ExtraTerm does is to select \"term candidates\", from either a monolingual source or on the basis of a bilingual document (such as a translation memory or an alignment).

The term identification process is controlled by a number of parameters that users can control.

Quote:

does it skip double entries,

Again, you would need to define exactly what you mean by that. Duplicates in the source language are consolidated (provided they\'re real duplicates, not just similar terms), but there may be several suggested target alternatives for any given term (the interesting aspect being that this highlights inconsistencies in the documents used...).

Quote:

can you combine it with existing MultiTerm dictionaries (so it won´t show you terms,which you already have in your dictionary?

Not as far as I\'m aware - but this issue can be addressed by the import filter on MT.

Quote:

Does it recognize terms with more than one word,

Yes - the maximum number of words is a user-defined parameter.

Quote:

is it displaying a word count,

...of what? The number of term candidates is displayed, but I\'m not sure if that\'s what you mean.

Quote:

how about file formats etc.?

Several file formats are supported - check with Trados exactly what\'s there.

Quote:
And how does XTranslated work? I only read, that it is \"document based\", but especially very short segments can have different meanings even in the same document. Or do you \"XTranslate\" whole paragraphs?

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

AFAIK XTranslate checks which paragraphs/sections in a document that was already translated have not been changed at all. Again, I haven\'t used it.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Uwe Schwenk
Local time: 03:52
English to German
XTranslate Oct 29, 2002

While Ralf provided some insights on Extraterm, I can do the same for Xtranslate because I am making extensive use of it. In a nutshell it is rather simple:

You take the previously translated documentation and run Xtranslate against the new version of the documents. Xtranslate will \"translate\" everything already present in the previous TTX files and insert these translations into the new version. When you open the new version for translation purposes, you will see that the TUs found in the previous versions are inserted with the unit opening and end tag XU. What this means in practical is, that the Tag Editor, and the spell checker will ignore it, because it is locked. This will especially in larger updates save tremendous amounts of time, because translation and formatting are not being touched. We all know that Trados is not bad, but sometimes the formatting does go a bit haywire, even if it is a 100 percent match.

It does make sense to use, provided you have excellent QA procedures in place, and the procedures are being followed.

However, there will be some additional work on your end, because you do not only have to worry about the translation memory, but also the files in TTX format. It does also require a slightly different approach for the translation process itself, in order to be able to make use of this feature.

However, in my experience, the benefits outweigh the minor issues by far, and I will continue to use it, since I do regularly very large documentation updates, and without it, there is no way, I could manage all this.

HTH

Uwe

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for answering my questions. Oct 29, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-10-28 04:26, Lemster wrote:

Sounds like you should get a demo from Trados if you get a chance...

I´m afraid they won´t let me have one...

...I\'ve used ExtraTerm on a number of occasions...

And did you find it useful and convenient to work with?

...what ExtraTerm does is to select \"term candidates\"

What I had in mind was this:

Given the short sentence: \"Select term candidates.\" Would ExtraTerm process it like this?

select

term

candidates

select term

term candidates

select term candidates

Quote:

...of what? The number of term candidates is displayed, but I\'m not sure if that\'s what you mean.

word count, of how often a term candidate is appearing in the file

Again thank you very much. I just have to consider carefully, whether the price difference between Freelance and Team Edition is bearable for me.

Best regards

Daniel

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
General Comparison in MDÜ . . . Oct 29, 2002

Haven\'t seen it yet, so perhaps someone else can supply further details, but one of my colleagues who\'s a member of the BDÜ (a German translators org) mentioned that their magazine has a longish article this month comparing various CAT tools.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Follow up Oct 30, 2002

Quote:

I´m afraid they won´t let me have one...

Well, ExtraTerm doesn\'t work in demo mode, so you need a dongle - since the software sells at around EUR5k I can see their point...

What I meant is to find a way of having Trados demonstrate it to you. According to their website, they have a reseller in Brno who should be able to take you through the main features.

Quote:

...I\'ve used ExtraTerm on a number of occasions...

And did you find it useful and convenient to work with?

Pretty much yes - but you should bear in mind that you need a TM or file alignment in order to build a bilingual term base.

Quote:

...what ExtraTerm does is to select \"term candidates\"

What I had in mind was this:

Given the short sentence: \"Select term candidates.\" Would ExtraTerm process it like this?

select

term

candidates

select term

term candidates

select term candidates

No - what I mean by \"term candidates\" are words or phrases that qualify as such, based on factors such as their frequency of appearance in source & target text. The example shown would be far too small to yield any results.

Quote:

word count, of how often a term candidate is appearing in the file

Not sure - it\'s been a couple of months since I last used it; the ranking is based on an internal quality assessment.

Quote:

Again thank you very much. I just have to consider carefully, whether the price difference between Freelance and Team Edition is bearable for me.

Check the price list again... ExtraTerm on its own is almost as expensive as a Team license - while it used to be included in the very early days of Release 5.0, nowadays ExtraTerm is a separate license.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Supplement to Edition 4--5/2002 of MDÜ Oct 30, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-29 18:33, TGilman wrote:

Haven\'t seen it yet, so perhaps someone else can supply further details, but one of my colleagues who\'s a member of the BDÜ (a German translators org) mentioned that their magazine has a longish article this month comparing various CAT tools.

Quite - in addition to an article, they\'ve even produced a supplement comparing the most common CAT tools. I haven\'t had the chance of really looking at it yet, but from what I\'ve seen, it looks pretty comprehensive and well-prepared.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados ExtraTerm and XTranslated

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs