Mobile menu

inkjet or laser printer?
Thread poster: Julian Wood

Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Czech to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2007

Hello- my all-in-one inkjet printer Epson cx3200 is on its last legs (three years old!), and on Freecycle I've been offered another printer. I looked into ink prices, which are quite a lot for HP printers.
I asked my brother-in-law and he suggests investing in a cheap laser printer, his argument follows below- is he right?
Thanks a lot

Do you need colour printing? If not, I would get a cheap B&W laser printer like this one. http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase31&prodID=B59215, then when the ink runs out, instead of paying £53 for a replacement toner, just get a toner refill for £13.50 here, http://www.refilltoner.com/MachineProducts.asp?id=SA2010&manu=Samsung&mach=ML-2010

If you need colour printing then make sure you get an inkjet printer where you can refill the cartridges, or get cheap replacement cartridges. Some inkjet printers have a chip on the cartridge and it’s normally these types that don’t have cheap replacement cartridges available.

If you want one with scanner and copier on top, and can do with just B&W, this is the latest version of the printer we’ve got, it’s really good and you can get cheap replacement toner for it: http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/Y987457F?speedtrapid=dealgroup

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you print a lot, forget about inkjet Apr 2, 2007

Take printing costs per page into consideration.

Any laser printer (also a colour one) will be much cheaper than an inkjet.

If you go for a laser colour printer, I would recommend you to take a look on a Lexmark C500n, a network-enabled colour laser printer with 31 PPM in b/w and 8 PPM in colour. You might get it now in Germany for 300,00 EURO including VAT and delivery inside of Germany. You can find this one here.
A very fast printer with a good printing quality. You can also refill the cartridges, what makes printing quite unexpensive.

Regards
Jerzy

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:50
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
depends on what you need Apr 2, 2007

Hello Julian,

you might find some useful/interesting info also in this post http://www.proz.com/topic/63206 to help you decide.

Stella

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you print much, go laser Apr 2, 2007

Hello --

If you print a lot, it's better that you go for a laser printer.

But do not go for the cheapest option unless you are in disperate need for a change and cannot afford anything else.

If you need a "cheap" option, I would recommend to get the basic option within a "professional" or "small office" line. You will spend a bit more in the printer now, but you will get a bit "better" machine ("better"=fast, well connected, better paper management) and, what is more important, you will need less toner replacements.

If you don't print a lot, just get a medium range inkjet and off you go. My experience with HPs and Epsons is that, while first ones seem to last forever, second ones did not and, in the meantime, they wasted lots of ink cartridges. Photo printing was great with those ones but, as a translator, you are not expected to be printing photos all day long...

Ruth @ MW

Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so far Apr 2, 2007

Hi-thanks for posts, and that cross-post was very interesting too.
Have been thinking recently that it's better going for the right thing, then one is happy with it- so will look into the right laser printer.
My brother-in-law swears by this one, and it has seved him well for two years, so may follow his tip:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/252134/art/samsung/multifunction-laser-scx-4.html?srcid=867

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
French to English
laser printers - cheap to run Apr 2, 2007

HI Julian

I'm a little biased here as I used to work for Kyocera a major laser printer manufacturer, before I went freelance! but their printers really are excellent and very cheap to run because of the long-lasting cartridges, they now offer a range of home office printers - have a look at their website www.kyoceramita.co.uk for product info - you can't call this advertising as I don't work for them any more!! though have to admit I have a Canon home printer!! my excuse is Im living in France, it's colour & photo quality Pixma IP2200 and it's excellent - the only drawback with Kyocera is if you want A4 colour most of their home/small office printers are black & white only. you have to pay quite a bit for A4 colour but A4 B&W is pretty good and there's a range.

bon courage!

Jenny

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Don't need to print a lot for laser to make sense Apr 2, 2007

The price of laser printers has dropped dramatically in recent years. A few years ago I bought an all-in-one fax/copier/inkjet printer and the cost of replacement cartridges has practically eaten me out of house and home. Never again. In my opinion you certainly don't need to print "a lot" for a laser printer to make sense, especially if like me you print out documents for final proofing.

I also think it is an issue of business image. For instance: which projects a better image, a fuzzy invoice printed on an inkjet printer, susceptible to wetness and prone to smudging, or a nice laser document, crystal-clear and non-smudging? Archiving is also an issue. In Germany, I am required to keep copies of bills and other documents for 10 years. Of course I maintain digital archives too, but for hard copies, I would rather not take my chances with inkjet printouts.

I currently use and can recommend:
Brother HL-1430 laser printer
Brother MFC-7420 copier/fax machine/ laser printer - great multi-purpose machine for a small office

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would opt out any Samsung device Apr 2, 2007

I have one laser fax machine from Samsung and also read a lot of test about colour laser printer last year, as I was looking for a colour laser for myself.
My own experience with Samsung is very bad - paper jams occure daily, depending on paper I'm using. My old Lexmark printers never have had problems with any of this paper makes, but Samsung fax is very demanding here. As far I could observe it works well only with very few sorts of paper.
The same experience was also reported by various user of different Samsung colour laser printers, so I went then for a Lexmark C500n. This is what we bought for my wifes nephew.
For my own business I'm using a Xerox Phaser 850DP - this is the best printer I ever had. But it is not cheap... So I did not buy it, but leased it. Now it costs me some 35 Euros per month for the machine. This is not expensive anymore and I love this printer. A very fast one, with brilant printouts, both in black&white and colour. The only disadvantage is, that is must remain switched on in standby, as otherwise it uses a lot of wax. But I can recommend it to anyone, who delivers printed materials to his customers.

Jerzy

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
When you **don't** print a lot... Apr 4, 2007

... go for laser! I was so fed up with constantly dried-out ink-cartridges and problems with the printer head because of (cheaper!) refill-ink for my Canon that I finally decided to buy a laser printer and now am very happy indeed with my little Tally. I don't need colour so when I found this laser printer in an online auction (and after having read several reviews, most of them being very positive) I went ahead.
There came no software with that outdated printer, though, so I had to download it from the server (http://www.tallygenicom.com) and must say, their customer support is really excellent - within one hour I got an answer to my question where to get the driver!

My 2 Czech crowns...

Charlotte

Renate Reinartz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Kyocera Laser Apr 30, 2007

Jenny Duthie wrote:
I'm a little biased here as I used to work for Kyocera a major laser printer manufacturer, before I went freelance! but their printers really are excellent and very cheap to run because of the long-lasting cartridges, they now offer a range of home office printers - have a look at their website www.kyoceramita.co.uk for

Yes, when you search for a well-priced and reliable printer, go for Kyocera. In my old companies we have used two of them for years without problems. Toner is very cheap and last (virtually) forever.

Anyway, in the meantime we don't print much, and we now have a Canon ink printer. It is amazingly fast, too. And I like that I also can print fotos. Check offers at ebay for best ink and paper prices.

Hope this helps.
Renate

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

inkjet or laser printer?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs