Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Cheap phone calls from the UK to the USA?
Thread poster: Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Local time: 23:20
English to German
Apr 26, 2007

Hello there,

I would like to make cheap telephone calls from the UK to the US and had a look at the various websites available.

I'm looking for a number you can just dial and save money on your phone calls. Can anyone recommend a particular phone number or website they have tried?

I would rather use a tried and tested number to avoid ending up paying more instead of less, and not just try one of those I found.

I'd be grateful for tips!

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:20
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Hallo Apr 26, 2007

Ich meine, dass man z.B. mit SkypeOut auch von UK nach USA telefonieren kann. Hast du das schon mal versucht? Ich denke, dass das, wie auch innerhalb Europas, nur 0.017 Euro kostet.

Viele Grüße,
Manuela

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
If you have Sky tv Apr 26, 2007

you can purchase Sky talk which costs £5 per month and all your calls within the UK and to 11 international destinations (including the US) are completely free!

If you don't have Sky tv, it's worth considering just for the cheap calls!

[Edited at 2007-04-26 14:09]

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Skype is not an option Apr 26, 2007

Hi,

I don't know if the person I'm going to call is a Skype user. Anyway, I'm calling for the first time and Skype is not an option for me here. It will be a formal business phone call.

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
OneTel Apr 26, 2007

I usually use OneTel for all my phone calls abroad - primarily Germany & Spain. Once registered you dial a four digit number (1877) prior to making the call - and you receive an itemised phone bill at the end of the month. The money will then be taken by direct debit from your nominated account - which I believe is great, as you have a receipt for tax purposes! http://www.onetel.co.uk/

[Edited at
... See more
I usually use OneTel for all my phone calls abroad - primarily Germany & Spain. Once registered you dial a four digit number (1877) prior to making the call - and you receive an itemised phone bill at the end of the month. The money will then be taken by direct debit from your nominated account - which I believe is great, as you have a receipt for tax purposes! http://www.onetel.co.uk/

[Edited at 2007-04-26 14:39]
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 08:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Doesn't matter Apr 26, 2007

MV LegalTrans wrote:
Hi,
I don't know if the person I'm going to call is a Skype user. Anyway, I'm calling for the first time and Skype is not an option for me here. It will be a formal business phone call.

Hi,
It makes no difference if the person you're calling has Skype or not because you can call normal landline numbers with it. I use it to call my mum, who doesn't even have a PC and it is so cheap. If she calls me (UK to China) from her phone it costs her 25 pence (50 cents) per minute, but when I call her via Skype it costs me just 1 pence (2 cents) per minute. For some reason the connection is better too, a lot clearer. The only drawback is that now I've lost that "but it's so expensive to call" excuse:)
Mark

Marius Reika
Marius Reika  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:50
English to Lithuanian
SkypeOut Apr 26, 2007

I don't know if the person I'm going to call is a Skype user.

It does not matter.

Via SkypeOut you can call landlines or mobiles, just have to buy some Skype credits. The rates are alright and the call quality also not bad; at least I have never experienced any major drawbacks to whine about. Been calling businesses and friends successfully.

Marius

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Agree Apr 26, 2007

I agree with what the others have said before. It really does not matter whether the person is a Skype user or not.
I accept if for you it´s not an option for making a first time business call, but I think the person being called can´t even see/figure out that you are in fact calling from Skype. The only thing is that they won´t get a number in their display. SkypeOut calls are displayed as "unknown number".

Regards,
Manuela

Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 26, 2007

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses! It's just that I don't want to register, buy credits, or open accounts anywhere. I simply want to lift up the receiver and make a phone call in the good old-fashioned way.

Just as an example, when my mum phones me from Germany, she uses a special number first and then enters my telephone number. These calls are really cheap, and I was wondering if anybody uses such a number to make telephone calls from the UK to the USA?
... See more
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses! It's just that I don't want to register, buy credits, or open accounts anywhere. I simply want to lift up the receiver and make a phone call in the good old-fashioned way.

Just as an example, when my mum phones me from Germany, she uses a special number first and then enters my telephone number. These calls are really cheap, and I was wondering if anybody uses such a number to make telephone calls from the UK to the USA? I will use Skype another time maybeJ.

Happy translating!
Collapse

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
www.jajah.com Apr 26, 2007

Register at www.jajah.com and you'll get a free credit of 2.50$.

The system is very simple:
- you insert the number to be called from your PC (connected to the Web)
- your phone will ring (pick it up!)
- the number you inserted rings (the owner picks it up)

Now you can talk (2,8 cents/min).

As for the quality, I noticed it depends on the time you make t
... See more

As for the quality, I noticed it depends on the time you make the call (avoid pick time).
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Ratebuster Apr 26, 2007

I haven't tried it yet but this may be what you're looking for:
http://www.ratebuster.co.uk/pages/home.asp
1p per minute apparently and included on your normal phone bill, without any registration.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
jajah.com- YES Apr 26, 2007

Marco Oberto wrote:

As for the quality, I noticed it depends on the time you make the call (avoid pick time).

I like it a lot! Been using it for a few weeks now.

Calls to US/Canada/Europe from UK are 0.17p a minute or free if the other party is registered, too. Quality is good. Only drawback, calls are time limited to 60 minutes (depends on country) but if you want to chat some more, just re-establish connection via the internet.

Ledja
Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Albanian
+ ...
I think this is what you are looking for Apr 26, 2007

http://niftylist.co.uk/calls/to/usa/landline/

There are a variety of numbers and the cheapest ones (that do not require you to register) are just 1p for landline numbers.

Here is a list:
0844 721 4 721 1p Penny Phone
0844 861 29 29 1p Dialaround
0844 861 25 25 1p TeleSavers
0844 861 35 35 1p BudgetCom
0844 861 30 30 1p Discou
... See more
http://niftylist.co.uk/calls/to/usa/landline/

There are a variety of numbers and the cheapest ones (that do not require you to register) are just 1p for landline numbers.

Here is a list:
0844 721 4 721 1p Penny Phone
0844 861 29 29 1p Dialaround
0844 861 25 25 1p TeleSavers
0844 861 35 35 1p BudgetCom
0844 861 30 30 1p Discount Dial
0844 720 0000 1p RateBuster
0844 861 28 28 1p DialWise
0844 861 62 62 1p BestMinutes
0844 861 88 88 1p Telestunt
0844 721 2525 1p Clever Rates
0844 861 21 21 1p 0844 calls
0844 861 38 38 1p Phone Cheap
0844 861 78 78 1p Telediscount

You just call any of these from your phone, listen to the message and dial away. A little advice: unless your phone provider offers free day calls, best to call during evening or weekends, as you'll be charged your local rate if this is greater than 1p. You'll receive the charges with your normal phone bill - so no opening accounts or topping up.

Hope this helps
Ledja

[Edited at 2007-04-26 19:58]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:20
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Skype options Apr 26, 2007

It seems that you want to have a number in the USA where they can call you too. There is the SkypeIn, see:
http://www.skype.com/products/skypein/

So you can have a phone number strategically located in the USA. Only problem is that you must have your computer online to receive a call.

You said you don't want to buy membership or anything like that.
Well, I live
... See more
It seems that you want to have a number in the USA where they can call you too. There is the SkypeIn, see:
http://www.skype.com/products/skypein/

So you can have a phone number strategically located in the USA. Only problem is that you must have your computer online to receive a call.

You said you don't want to buy membership or anything like that.
Well, I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, I buy US$ 10 (or EUR 10), and this allows me to talk with my relatives in California, USA, for HOURS!

Skype sound quality is excellent, if you have a good broadband connection, and a decent headset. The $ 5 ones were "disposable"; but my present $ 15 one is superb.

Just to compare, my access to the www is provided by a cable TV company. In the package, they bundled a "mandatory" VOIP phone, with its own number, accessible to/from anywhere like a regular landline. The rates are quite lower than the regular phone service, but it's SO noisy, and the sound is SO bad, that I seldom use it.
Collapse

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to English
+ ...
My fav Apr 27, 2007

I've used Telediscount and it's great. No account necessary. Just dial the number. Super cheap too.
Ledja Derveni wrote:
0844 861 78 78 1p Telediscount

You just call any of these from your phone, listen to the message and dial away.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cheap phone calls from the UK to the USA?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »