Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:35
English to French
+ ...
May 20, 2007

I am looking into Lexpro dictionaries, to be used mostly EN>FR. I have found several of their dictionaries tempting. I have a hard copy dictionary (Dictionnaire combinatoire du français) that I like very much and it is on their list, so I am guessing these are not the elementary school type dictionaries that wouldn't be of use to translators. However, I can't sample any of their dictionaries and am not willing to invest hundreds of Euros in dictioaries I would be unsatisfied with.

... See more
I am looking into Lexpro dictionaries, to be used mostly EN>FR. I have found several of their dictionaries tempting. I have a hard copy dictionary (Dictionnaire combinatoire du français) that I like very much and it is on their list, so I am guessing these are not the elementary school type dictionaries that wouldn't be of use to translators. However, I can't sample any of their dictionaries and am not willing to invest hundreds of Euros in dictioaries I would be unsatisfied with.

Anybody has ever bought and used their dictionaries? If yes, which ones and how do you like the dicionaries as well as the interface in general?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
English to Spanish
About lexibase dictionaries May 20, 2007

Viktoria, you can visit http://diccionario.reverso.net/ and try different lexibase dictionaries. The interface is quite simple and outdated, though very useful. For some screenshots, go to http://www.softissimo.com/collins_pro.asp

Good luck.

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use the EN>SP May 21, 2007

Hi, Viktoria,

I agree with Rodrigo as regards the interface.
If you're looking for a general terminology dictionary, I'd say this is a good one.

Hope it helps,
Graciela

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Specialized May 21, 2007

In my language pairs, there are some great general terminology resources on the net and I would only be willing to invest in more specialized dictionaries. That's why Lexpro caught my eye - they seem to have some rather big specialized technical dictionaries (I am interested in environmental, electrical-electronics, building/construction, chemistry, mechanics, safety and dangerous goods). Since I already have the hard copy version of one of the dictionaries available there electronically, that I... See more
In my language pairs, there are some great general terminology resources on the net and I would only be willing to invest in more specialized dictionaries. That's why Lexpro caught my eye - they seem to have some rather big specialized technical dictionaries (I am interested in environmental, electrical-electronics, building/construction, chemistry, mechanics, safety and dangerous goods). Since I already have the hard copy version of one of the dictionaries available there electronically, that I find well done, quite complete and very useful (this can't be said about many dictionaries), I thought I'd investigate to find out how good their other dictionaries are. If they are all at the same standard, then I'm interested in several of their dictionaries.

I already use Lexibase and find it quite useful, but their dictionaries are a little too concise for me. They are useful, but they generally only give me clues that will eventually lead me to the right answer rather than provide the answer straight up.

I am open to electronic dictionaries and wouldn't mind investing in them as long as I get a return on that investment. Dictionaries are so hard to shop for - there is a lot of worthless "masterpieces" on the market!

Keep them coming - I am open to suggestions!

Thanks!

[Edited at 2007-05-21 02:08]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anybody using Lexpro dictionaries?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »