Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:41
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 2, 2003

I came across a smart little software that greatly enhances your typing speed.

Autocorrect (\"auto-expand\") lists, auto-learn function, etc. I only started using an hour or so ago, but I am sure I will use all the time. Works in all applications.

Fully functional evaluation copy for 30 days, then you have to register for 50 bucks.

URL:
... See more
I came across a smart little software that greatly enhances your typing speed.

Autocorrect (\"auto-expand\") lists, auto-learn function, etc. I only started using an hour or so ago, but I am sure I will use all the time. Works in all applications.

Fully functional evaluation copy for 30 days, then you have to register for 50 bucks.

URL:

http://www.flashpeak.com/ushell/ushell.htm

Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
Member (2002)
Russian to English
I tried it too... Jan 2, 2003

...just to see if it could speed me up.

But it doesn\'t really help me with general typing because I\'m faster than the little window that offers you words.

I\'m sure it is useful if you teach it the things you usually type, but I\'ve already done that in Word, so I probably won\'t bother with this program.

I might send it to my dad, though, since he is a \"hunt and peck\" typist.

See more

But it doesn\'t really help me with general typing because I\'m faster than the little window that offers you words.

I\'m sure it is useful if you teach it the things you usually type, but I\'ve already done that in Word, so I probably won\'t bother with this program.

Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Provided you type English! Jan 2, 2003

or..........

flashpeak (X)
flashpeak (X)
English
Not only English! Jan 2, 2003

Not only English. UltimaShell provides libraries for most of the western languages, like french, german, swedish, polish, spanish, etc.

Rishi Miranhshah
Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
...seeking to learn how to teach Word Jan 2, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-02 19:10, EAdams wrote:

...I\'m sure it is useful if you teach it the things you usually type, but I\'ve already done that in Word, so I probably won\'t bother with this program.

Hi Elizabeth,

Why am i always troubled by these thoughts? - There must must be many things (in Word, here) that i still don\'t know.

Could you please share your knowledge?
<... See more
Quote:

...I\'m sure it is useful if you teach it the things you usually type, but I\'ve already done that in Word, so I probably won\'t bother with this program.

Hi Elizabeth,

Why am i always troubled by these thoughts? - There must must be many things (in Word, here) that i still don\'t know.

Could you please share your knowledge?

In debt,

Rishi ▲ Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
sure, for what it's worth! Jan 2, 2003

I mainly use macros in Word for repetitive typing.

You go to the Tools menu, choose Macro, then choose Record New Macro.

In the dialog box that pops up, click the \"keyboard\" button, then a window called \"customize keyboard\" will open.

You tell it what new shortcut key combination you want to use. For example, you could choose ALT or CTRL plus the first letter of the phrase you want Word to print out. Word will tell you if the sho
... See more
I mainly use macros in Word for repetitive typing.

You go to the Tools menu, choose Macro, then choose Record New Macro.

In the dialog box that pops up, click the \"keyboard\" button, then a window called \"customize keyboard\" will open.

You tell it what new shortcut key combination you want to use. For example, you could choose ALT or CTRL plus the first letter of the phrase you want Word to print out. Word will tell you if the shortcut pair you\'ve chosen is already being used by the program for something else. Once you\'ve settled on something easy to remember, click \"assign,\" and then \"close.\"

Then you will be back in your document. You should type the word or phrase that should correspond to the new shortcut key, then click on the square to stop recording.

That\'s it!

You can also print out a list of all the pre-programmed shorcuts in Word. Just go to the help menu, type \"shortcuts,\" and let the program take you step by step.

There are lots of other bells and whistles in Word, but I stick to macros. I\'ve often wondered about using the mail merge function for repetitive translations, though.
Collapse

Rishi Miranhshah
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Thanks!!! Jan 3, 2003

Thanks a lot!

But ain\'t it more tiresome than keeping the clipboard in your taskpane?

(I\'ll let you know after fiddling with Mail Merge, if some bell rings...)

flashpeak (X)
flashpeak (X)
English
it works with any applications Jan 3, 2003

UltimaShell is designed to work with any applications on MS windows. You don\'t always work inside MS Word. And the shorthand expansion feature is more intelligent than the macros in MS word. For example, you can define \"asap\" as the shorthand for \"as soon as possible\". The word completion is not actually very useful for typing general and short words. But if you are dealing with some professional documents which contains a lot of long and repetitive words and phrases, ultimashell may come i... See more
UltimaShell is designed to work with any applications on MS windows. You don\'t always work inside MS Word. And the shorthand expansion feature is more intelligent than the macros in MS word. For example, you can define \"asap\" as the shorthand for \"as soon as possible\". The word completion is not actually very useful for typing general and short words. But if you are dealing with some professional documents which contains a lot of long and repetitive words and phrases, ultimashell may come in handy.

Quote:

Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
United States
Member (2002)
Russian to English
you've got a point... Jan 3, 2003

...but I find that once all the macros are programmed, I can fly along really fast when I type, and I know I\'m making fewer typos. Of course, it only makes sense to do this when you have repetitive phrases or long words that you tend to make typos in when you type too fast. I know Word has an autocorrect function as well, but I\'ve never tried to add things to it.

With the whole cut and paste thing, I think that slows me down (I\'m more of a keyboard person than a mouse per
... See more
...but I find that once all the macros are programmed, I can fly along really fast when I type, and I know I\'m making fewer typos. Of course, it only makes sense to do this when you have repetitive phrases or long words that you tend to make typos in when you type too fast. I know Word has an autocorrect function as well, but I\'ve never tried to add things to it.

With the whole cut and paste thing, I think that slows me down (I\'m more of a keyboard person than a mouse person, even though I use a Mac and those two things are not supposed to go together).

Collapse

George Nathaniel
George Nathaniel
Local time: 15:11
English to German
+ ...
LetMeType Jan 3, 2003

by Carsten Clasohm is another utility in this line of tools and it is available in German and English versions, as freeware. You can download it from:

http://www.clasohm.com/ftp/lmt180de.exe or

http://www.clasohm.com/ftp/lmt180en.exe

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
Ultimashell Jan 3, 2003

As someone who has been using Ultimashell (previously known as EasyType) for almost 2 years, I can say quite honestly that it is a far more powerful tool than Word\'s Autotext: for a start you can use it ANY Windows application. Of course, it\'s up to each user to harness the utility ot his/her particular needs. It\'s great of course for stock phrases like \"Please don\'t hesitate to contact me if you require further information\" etc, but otherwise I personally tend to configure it for each par... See more
As someone who has been using Ultimashell (previously known as EasyType) for almost 2 years, I can say quite honestly that it is a far more powerful tool than Word\'s Autotext: for a start you can use it ANY Windows application. Of course, it\'s up to each user to harness the utility ot his/her particular needs. It\'s great of course for stock phrases like \"Please don\'t hesitate to contact me if you require further information\" etc, but otherwise I personally tend to configure it for each particular task and then delete the entries when I\'ve finished.

Ultimashell is of course not a translating tool but if you\'re looking for something whihc can really speed up your work as a TRANSLATOR then check out FlashText from the same company (wwww.flashpeak.com). Basically it\'s a glossary which will allow you to retrieve and past words into your text almost instantly. If, like me, you find that you spend a lot of time looking up THE SAME WORD AND EXPRESSION TIME AFTER TIME (yes, a translator\'s memory quickly becomes saturated!) than FlashText is a superb investment in the long run.
Collapse

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
Concerning speed Jan 3, 2003

I use the autocorrect function. Normally when you install Word you have already a list of autocorrections in your language.

I deleted them and everytime I start a document I can add these complicated terms or sentences that come repeatedly in your text (especially legal and patent documents) by selecting them and going to Tools>Autocorrect (in french Alt+O+R) and type the 2 or 3 letters of the abreviation (making sure it does not make any sense) and clean the thing when I finished. Exa
... See more
I use the autocorrect function. Normally when you install Word you have already a list of autocorrections in your language.

I deleted them and everytime I start a document I can add these complicated terms or sentences that come repeatedly in your text (especially legal and patent documents) by selecting them and going to Tools>Autocorrect (in french Alt+O+R) and type the 2 or 3 letters of the abreviation (making sure it does not make any sense) and clean the thing when I finished. Example : \"click on\" automatically typed with \"cko\", with a few things like that (around 20), as I can add them gradually and memorize them, I checked once that it could avoid until 20% of typing in some documents.
Collapse

Rishi Miranhshah
Canada
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Appears great Jan 3, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-03 04:36, revron wrote:

by Carsten Clasohm is another utility in this line of tools and it is available in German and English versions, as freeware. You can download i... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-03 04:36, revron wrote:

by Carsten Clasohm is another utility in this line of tools and it is available in German and English versions, as freeware. You can download it from:

http://www.clasohm.com/ftp/lmt180de.exe or

http://www.clasohm.com/ftp/lmt180en.exe

Just downloaded and tried - appears great!

(e.g. this repetition \"appears great\" was inserted using that only)

Many thanks George! ▲ Collapse

Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
French to English
If you are new to Ultimashell... Jan 4, 2003

I am a great fan of Ultimashell. It is an extremely powerful tool but I readily admit that this very power can be a little bewildering at the outset. Where to start? Well, I think we can start with the assumption that, as translators, we are probably all reasonably competent typists – not necessarily keyboard wizards but not one finger wonders either! Secondly, I assume for the moment that many (perhaps most?) of us are not touch typists.

What does this mean in practical terms? It m
... See more
I am a great fan of Ultimashell. It is an extremely powerful tool but I readily admit that this very power can be a little bewildering at the outset. Where to start? Well, I think we can start with the assumption that, as translators, we are probably all reasonably competent typists – not necessarily keyboard wizards but not one finger wonders either! Secondly, I assume for the moment that many (perhaps most?) of us are not touch typists.

What does this mean in practical terms? It means that it is easier and faster for us to type in a word or even a short phrase than to take our eyes of the keyboard and autocomplete the word or phrase in question. We are typically focusing on two components (the hard copy and the keyboard) and constant movement to and from a third component (the screen) is bound to slow us down. In other words, AUTOMATIC word or phrase completion is probably not the best solution for us. Autocompletion is very clever and requires no input but can ultimately be self-defeating. Far more useful, it seems to me, is a system which allows us to decide which words or phrases are to be learnt. This enables us, of course, to concentrate on complicated words and longer phrases but, more importantly, it speeds up the process because, having made the initial effort to input the text, we can now insert it almost without looking at the screen.

If you are new to Ultimashell, I therefore recommend the following. In the Options menu click on Learn. Untick the “Auto Learn Word” and “Auto Learn Phrase” options. You can adjust the other settings to suit your requirements. The main thing is not to limit your criteria too much, bearing in mind that Ultimashell will only learn what you tell it to anyway. OK, you say, but how do I get Ultimashell to learn the text if the process is no longer automatic? Very simple. Type in the text you want to “remember”, e.g. European Economic Community. Press F4, click on the appropriate phrase and then press OK. That’s it. It really is as simple as that.

As I said at the beginning, Ultimashell is an incredibly powerful tool with all sorts of aids which I haven’t touched on here (shorthand, quick launch, etc. etc.). I have nothing against Word’s Autotext feature – indeed somebody cleverer than I could probably figure out a way of combining it with Ultimashell to good effect – but in my opinion Ultimashell is far more powerful, easier to input (see above) and of course not confined to…. Word!

Collapse

Claudia Tomaschek
Claudia Tomaschek  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Why not use LetMeType Jan 4, 2003

There has been a small German tool around for years (also available in English) that finishes long words for you in all programs no matter if you work with Word or DejaVu or anything else. After you type in a small amount of letters a window opens and you can select from up to 10 hits by just entering the appropriate number. The hits depend on the terms in the database and the likelyness based on the amount of times the term has been entered before.

The tool is shareware an
... See more
There has been a small German tool around for years (also available in English) that finishes long words for you in all programs no matter if you work with Word or DejaVu or anything else. After you type in a small amount of letters a window opens and you can select from up to 10 hits by just entering the appropriate number. The hits depend on the terms in the database and the likelyness based on the amount of times the term has been entered before.

The tool is shareware and costs just $18.

Letmetype saves all words you are typing in a database. After some weeks words that are never used are deleted and in case of typos you can edit the database very easlily.

You can download a 4 week evaluation version from this site:

http://www.clasohm.com/lmt/en/

Cheers

Claudia
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

smart software that guesses what you want to type

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »