Best affordable digital voice recorder
Thread poster: Terejimenez

Terejimenez  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 13, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I need to change my Olympus VN960PC for a digital voice recorder having options such as: rewind, split files, combine files, combine folders, quick transfer to my PC, high quality sound, to use with Dragon if possible.
I would appreciate very much your opinions to buy the best affordable digital voice recorder to dictate translations of large files (+100K).

Tere

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:34
Polish to English
+ ...
Affordable - what does it mean? Jun 13, 2007

Are you going to spend an equivalent of USD 10, or USD 100, or USD 1000, whatever the currency?

AM

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Some more specs? Jun 13, 2007

Terejimenez wrote:
I need to change my Olympus VN960PC for a digital voice recorder having options such as: rewind, split files, combine files, combine folders, quick transfer to my PC, high quality sound, to use with Dragon if possible.
I would appreciate very much your opinions to buy the best affordable digital voice recorder to dictate translations of large files (+100K).
Tere

Hi Tere,

1. Do you prefer an internal microphone, or external mic-in capability?
2. Also, when you say large files, do you mean 100kb?
That's not very large compared to what the top of the range can handle. My iRiver H120 has a 20GB hard drive, and 4GB as single file limit, AFAIK.
3. Is size very important for you? What dimensions are you looking for?

Out of the hat, I'd recommend Edirol R-09 if you really want top quality sound and small form factor, but please post your ideas to the questions above first...

/Jan

Some high-end recommendations:

Recorder alternatives for less than $1000 include:

recorders with digital optical input, plus analog mic and line input
-- iRiver H120/140/320 with Rockbox software (discontinued, ~$150-$200 used)
-- Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 or "JB3" (discontinued, ~$100-$150 used)
-- Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD recorder (~$300)

recorders with digital coax input, plus Mic and Line
-- M-Audio Microtrack 2496 (~$375)
-- Marantz PMD671 (~$850, less at martelelectronics.com)
-- Tascam HD-P2 (~$850)

recorders that have Mic and Line input only, no digital
-- Zoom H2 (MSRP $200, shipping in Summer)
-- Zoom H4 (MSRP $300)
-- Edirol R-09 (~$375)
-- Fostex FR-2LE (MSRP $600, shipping by end of April?)
-- Marantz PMD660 ($709 with Oade ACM preamp upgrade )
-- Korg MR-1 (MSRP $700, records one-bit or PCM)

With the exception of the Sony Hi-MD, all allow drag and drop file
transfers to a PC.

Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Dragonfly at half price Jun 13, 2007

You may consider buying this software at ebay for half price of the current market price...

Or ask on the exchange board if somebody would swap it with you in case he/she does not need it...

Linguatec also offers dictatation software. I think their translation software is pretty good. But then, I am not sure how far they got with their language versions. They seem to have a Dutch version....

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Affordable means Jun 13, 2007

Dear Andrzej

Thank you for your interest to help me. Affordable means from USD$150 to USD$200

Tere

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Jan, Jun 13, 2007

Thank you very much for your time and information.

Here are the answers:

1. I prefer an internal microphone
2. Large files means over 100.000 words
3. Size is not very important but would prefer a small recorder with a large screen. Size around 4 x 1 inches.

I am going to check the ones you mentioned.

Thanks again

Tere

[Edited at 2007-06-13 18:46]

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Martin Jun 13, 2007

I will check in Linguatec and post a note in the exchange board.

Tere

Martin Wenzel wrote:

You may consider buying this software at ebay for half price of the current market price...

Or ask on the exchange board if somebody would swap it with you in case he/she does not need it...

Linguatec also offers dictatation software. I think their translation software is pretty good. But then, I am not sure how far they got with their language versions. They seem to have a Dutch version....

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
More details? Jun 19, 2007

Terejimenez wrote:
3. Size is not very important but would prefer a small recorder with a large screen. Size around 4 x 1 inches.

Hi Tere,

Some counter-questions:

2. I don't work with words. Technically, you can cram infinite number of spoken "words" into a tiny file, if you just set the compression and sound quality low enough.

You'll have to specify the number of minutes you want to save, and specify the sound quality you expect to have. Is a 96 kbps MP3 enough (=radio quality)? Or would you prefer a full "CD quality" WAV? The file size difference is astronomical!

3. What do you want to display on your screen?
Most of the recorders I mention have a screen, but the UI range from useless to brilliant. Please be more specific.
Do you need digital meters for viewing your peak volume level while recording?
Maybe I'm totally off here, but are you looking for some kind of speech-to-text interpreter, that will display the words that you say?

From what you've told so far, I'd say that Zoom H2 is the one for you!
Take a look at this and check if it has what you need:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

"With a 4GB SD memory card, the H2 provides up to 2 hours recording at 96kHz, 6 hours at 44.1kHz, or up to a staggering 138 hours in MP3!"

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-06-19 11:37]

[Edited at 2007-06-20 10:22]

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Jan Jun 23, 2007

Dear Jan,
Thank you very much for all your time and valuable inputs. I found out that the H2 - Handy Recorder (on the site you recommended me) is more than enough to meet my needs

Regards,

Tere

Jan Sundström wrote:

Terejimenez wrote:

Hi Tere,

Some counter-questions:

2. I don't work with words. Technically, you can cram infinite number of spoken "words" into a tiny file, if you just set the compression and sound quality low enough.

You'll have to specify the number of minutes you want to save, and specify the sound quality you expect to have. Is a 96 kbps MP3 enough (=radio quality)? Or would you prefer a full "CD quality" WAV? The file size difference is astronomical!

3. What do you want to display on your screen?
Most of the recorders I mention have a screen, but the UI range from useless to brilliant. Please be more specific.
Do you need digital meters for viewing your peak volume level while recording?
Maybe I'm totally off here, but are you looking for some kind of speech-to-text interpreter, that will display the words that you say?

From what you've told so far, I'd say that Zoom H2 is the one for you!
Take a look at this and check if it has what you need:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916

"With a 4GB SD memory card, the H2 provides up to 2 hours recording at 96kHz, 6 hours at 44.1kHz, or up to a staggering 138 hours in MP3!"

/Jan

[Edited at 2007-06-19 11:37]

[Edited at 2007-06-20 10:22]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best affordable digital voice recorder

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs