Wordfast Question?
Thread poster: Juan0001
Juan0001
Local time: 15:56
Spanish to German
Mar 21, 2003

Hi there,

I\'ve just downloaded Wordfast regarding your suggestions. It seems to be free - is this correct? After installing it, no license number seems to be required? But on the homepage it says: \"After installation, Wordfast displays an install number.\" Can anybody help me there??

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Wordfast Mar 21, 2003

is free untill a certain size of your Translation Memory, this means you can use it, but if you sooner or later get to the point where your TM is over 500Kb Wordfast wants to be registered

But I am sure you can use it normally some month and the you can register it....before that you shouldnt get over the 500Kb...

Hope I could help. ( My english is not the best )

Cheers,

Natália

Rubén de la Fuente  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
no, hell, it ain't free Mar 21, 2003

Hi, Juan.

Sadly enough, it\'s not free. It started as freeware, but it\'s gone commercial since october 2002. Once you install the program, you get an installation number that you have to forward to Yves Champollion, the designer of the program, in order to get a license number. Price for a regular license is around € 180. Depending on the kind of work you do (i.e. how many repetitions there are in the text you normally work with) it might be a good investment. HTH.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Registration of Wordfast Mar 21, 2003

Hi Juan,

At what site did you download your version of Wordfast?

Kind regards,

Gerard

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
English to French
Some precisions Mar 21, 2003

Wordfast can be used without registration with a TM of up to 250 TUs. Further then that, you need to get a licence # from Yves Champollion and enter it in the wordfast dialog box, in the tab \"?\". That will remove the TM limit.

Indeed it ain\'t free no more. It used to be free for several years, until last year when it went commercial. Well deserved if you consider the developper was working nearly full time on it. It must however be noted that this is still one of cheapest CAT on the market, and one of the most performant, too.

Good wordfasting

Swaiyam  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Thought Wordfast was free Mar 22, 2003

What\'s this site all about:

http://www.wordfast.org/site/register.html

Seems Wordfast ist still free

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:56
English to French
+ ...
Discrepancies on TM size Mar 22, 2003

I just wanted to say that we do not seem to all agree on the maximum TM size allowed by WordFast before it asks for the registration number, because in my case, I believe it is 110k. There are some ways around the problem that almost fix it completely. I make very specialized TMs under 110k and pretranslate using those, one by one. You can still apply 10000 words of TM to it, it\'s just slower this way, but at the price you pay (you don\'t!), it is not a problem.

France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
wordfast.org Mar 22, 2003

Hi Swaiyam,

That\'s why I asked Juan where he downloaded his version of Wordfast. The last time I downloaded Wordfast over there I had to register the tool at www.wordfast.org but maybe they\'ve managed to produce a wordfast.dot that doesn\'t need registering anymore.

Regards,

Gerard

xxxncfialho  Identity Verified
German to Portuguese
+ ...
try the "original"site Mar 23, 2003

www.champollion.net

Juan0001
Spanish to German
TOPIC STARTER
WOW!!! Mar 23, 2003

Hi there,

great! So many comments! That\'s great !

Where I downloaded the software? I didn\'t download it, I got it from a friend. But your answers helped me. I wrote an Email to Champollion and got an answer very fast and the problem was solved! But thank you very much!

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:56
English to French
+ ...
What the manual says Mar 24, 2003

I just verified to which point WordFast is free:

No translation memory exceeding 110kb OR 500 TUs will work. They do not precise whichever happens first, so that\'S a little questionable, but this is what the manual says.

France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Glad to be of service Mar 24, 2003

But you started the thread mentioning you had just downloaded Wordfast...

Regards,

Gerard

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:56
English to French
Free... Apr 28, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-24 02:44, ViktoriaG wrote:

I just verified to which point WordFast is free:

No translation memory exceeding 110kb OR 500 TUs will work. They do not precise whichever happens first, so that\'S a little questionable, but this is what the manual says.

You are right, and my info (250 units) is old. Actually, Yves himself seems to be the most active when it comes to explaining how you can get around his own registration protection and use the demo version of Wordfast to work with full features. (follow the list on Yahoo if you don\'t believe me.)

However, considering the services rendered, I would say that if you use it as a pro you owe him one and paying for the licence is fair considering it is very reasonably priced compared to other products, many not as performant, and by far.

These days, I get people comming on my web site every day looking for a crack version of Wordfast. That sucks.

Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Well said, Shalawan Apr 30, 2003

However, considering the services rendered, I would say that if you use it as a pro you owe him one and paying for the licence is fair considering it is very reasonably priced compared to other products, many not as performant, and by far.

Right, seconded.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Question?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs