Trados 5 - comments
Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2001

So has anyone upgraded yet to version 5? I have version 3 and I really don\'t want to be duped into shelving big bucks to suffer yet another software blunder. Sleek marketing move to \'skip\' version 4 as if to say \'we have introduced so many things new that this merits jumping one level!\'

I wish Trados would realize that:

1) Deja Vu is superior (but it seems to be losing the marketing game)

2) MultiTerm is totally useless (it should be on the same inte
... See more
So has anyone upgraded yet to version 5? I have version 3 and I really don\'t want to be duped into shelving big bucks to suffer yet another software blunder. Sleek marketing move to \'skip\' version 4 as if to say \'we have introduced so many things new that this merits jumping one level!\'

I wish Trados would realize that:

1) Deja Vu is superior (but it seems to be losing the marketing game)

2) MultiTerm is totally useless (it should be on the same interface as Workbench so you don\'t have to keep on clicking from one window to another)

3) There should be an in-built glossary / dictionary!

4) Trados should work with Excel files as well (along with many many other file formats)!

Too many glitches and bugs in my version.

Collapse

eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2001

I have just bought Trados 5.0 (my \"first Trados\" ever). I also use Déjà Vu, which really is so much better (works with Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) - and it is compatible with Trados Workbench files.

However, when it comes to working with Word files, I actually prefer the style of Trados - you can actually work right from inside the original file.

Multiterm is useless - I agree. With DV, you can easily include terms in your glossary and export it to, sa
... See more
I have just bought Trados 5.0 (my \"first Trados\" ever). I also use Déjà Vu, which really is so much better (works with Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) - and it is compatible with Trados Workbench files.

However, when it comes to working with Word files, I actually prefer the style of Trados - you can actually work right from inside the original file.

Multiterm is useless - I agree. With DV, you can easily include terms in your glossary and export it to, say, Excel.

The whole concept of Trados 5.0 with its Projects interface, etc., is a bit too much.

Conclusion:

I will use Trados for Word files - nothing else. For all other purposes and features: Déjà Vu.
Collapse

eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 21, 2001

Well, I have been \"playing around\" with my new Trados 5 for a while now, and here are my conclusions:

1. When working in WORD, I find it more convenient and \"comfortable\" than Déjà Vu (the exporting/importing of WORD files under DV can sometimes take forever). I also like the fact that you can insert your translation right into the original file.

2. Problem: not enough compatible file formats - EXCEL just being one of them (by the way: did you ever
... See more
Well, I have been \"playing around\" with my new Trados 5 for a while now, and here are my conclusions:

1. When working in WORD, I find it more convenient and \"comfortable\" than Déjà Vu (the exporting/importing of WORD files under DV can sometimes take forever). I also like the fact that you can insert your translation right into the original file.

2. Problem: not enough compatible file formats - EXCEL just being one of them (by the way: did you ever wonder about the word count of an Excel file? Well, export it to DV, and you\'ll get a word count!)

3. Because of the link into WORD, some WORD features may be impeded - eg, go under Envelopes and insert the recipient\'s address; if you misspell and want to delete your typo, you can\'t. You will have to close the Envelope window and do it all over again - until you get it right. So far, this is the only feature I found to be impeded by Trados (proof: after uninstalling Trados, that WORD feature was back to normal; after re-installing Trados, the same problem occurred) - does anyone know of other problems? Or what can be done against it?

4. \"Project\" \"Multiterm\" - probably the most useless (even though, purists would argue that \"useless\" does not have a superlative form) parts of the software - I much more prefer the glossary functions under DV (makes for easy importing, exporting, automated incorporation of terms into your glossary, etc. of glossaries - including conversion into an EXCEL-type glossary, etc.).

5. When I received my DV CD-ROM about a year ago, they also supplied me with a thorough user manual. Trados has provided me with .... ZILCH (apart from the very useless - here we go again with that word - \"getting started\" quick guide that tells you absolutely nothing about Workbench or any of the translation processes).

6. By the way: DV can work with Trados Workbench files (and the output will also be a Trados WB file), but Trados does not \"reciprocate\".

Conclusion: if it were not for the constant \"pressure\" from clients and agencies, and the discount offer, I never would have gotten Trados. But in today\'s competitive market, you have to try to fit in and be compatible.

For me personally, TM tools are actually more like formatting and editing tools, but not really translation tools. I still rely on my own \"human\" TM (which is quite good, if I may say so - almost photographic). I find that I am faster typing a repetitive phrase myself than doing a \"fuzzy pretranslation\", having to do an edit and then deleting the unnecessary stuff. But I use it (DV and Trados) because it facilitates the overwriting of text without having to worry about formats (fonts, size, style, etc.).
Collapse

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:12
French to English
+ ...
Jun 22, 2001

I recently bought Trados 5, but I am a first time user so I can\'t compare it to earlier versions. I will say I\'ve spent about 20 hours learning how to use it so far. There actually is a lot more documentation than just the little \"getting started\" booklet included in the package. However the documentation is on the Trados CD in .pdf files --requiring one to print one\'s own manual if you want a paper form. This is unfortunately all too common in the software industry today. I did find t... See more
I recently bought Trados 5, but I am a first time user so I can\'t compare it to earlier versions. I will say I\'ve spent about 20 hours learning how to use it so far. There actually is a lot more documentation than just the little \"getting started\" booklet included in the package. However the documentation is on the Trados CD in .pdf files --requiring one to print one\'s own manual if you want a paper form. This is unfortunately all too common in the software industry today. I did find the documentation to be reasonably clear and consistent with the sample files provided in the install. There are some short tutorials in the documentation that are also helpful. Once I\'ve built my TM I\'ll comment further on whether or not I find this tool useful.Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jun 23, 2001

Anyone for trading TMs? My De>En TM has more than 37,000 segments plus 10 other De>En segments (each numbering around 3,000 segments) in finance, engineering and IT.

My Fr>En TM has about 25,000 segments.

Fabienne Garlatti
Fabienne Garlatti  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Sep 19, 2001

[Edited at 2004-06-05 03:06]

Magda Alberti
Magda Alberti
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TRADOS Set-up Nov 16, 2001

I have recently purchased TRADOS 5 Frelance; received the CD ROM with a Manual and attended a course where they gave me a Guide. I have a lot of trouble setting up all components in the Workspace, I still can\'t, the instructions are not clear at all. I am a first time user as Carolyn, and have spent about 20 houre (perhaps more)and still cannot get started. Does anybody know if there are easier instructions to follow besides the .pdf file in the... See more
I have recently purchased TRADOS 5 Frelance; received the CD ROM with a Manual and attended a course where they gave me a Guide. I have a lot of trouble setting up all components in the Workspace, I still can\'t, the instructions are not clear at all. I am a first time user as Carolyn, and have spent about 20 houre (perhaps more)and still cannot get started. Does anybody know if there are easier instructions to follow besides the .pdf file in the CDROM and the ones in www.trados.com?
[addsig]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:12
English to German
+ ...
Just to clarify a few things... Nov 17, 2001

...I have been using T5 Team Edition for some time; in addition, most of the freelancers I work with use T5 Freelance.

- What\'s the difference between Team and Freelance (other than the price)?

The biggest difference is that the Team Edition has full network capabilities, while Freelance is for a single machine only (note that this does NOT mean you can use it on one dedicated computer only - all you need is stick your dongle onto another machine, but you cannot j
... See more
...I have been using T5 Team Edition for some time; in addition, most of the freelancers I work with use T5 Freelance.

- What\'s the difference between Team and Freelance (other than the price)?

The biggest difference is that the Team Edition has full network capabilities, while Freelance is for a single machine only (note that this does NOT mean you can use it on one dedicated computer only - all you need is stick your dongle onto another machine, but you cannot jointly access a TM, for example, through a network). In addition, Team Edition contains a few additional tools (e.g. ExtraTerm that allows you to extract terminology from existing texts), while Freelance users have certain restrictions in terms of the number of languages they can use, or the number of files they can align.

- Workspace is impossible to use.

I was thinking of going to a course, but ended up with half an hour of instruction at the Trados exhibition booth at SYSTEMS 2001 in Munich. That did it - using projects now, without any stress. Also, note that even with T5 you do not have to use Workspace - all applications can be accessed individually, as before. Finally, if I may offer some experience as a trainer for complex IT systems (electronic trading platforms): IMHO it is a simple necessity to spend some time with any new package.

- MultiTerm is useless.

There certainly is room for improvement here - as far as the necessity to use different windows is concerned: why don\'t you use the shortcuts available in the translation editor (e.g. in Word)? I hardly ever go to the MT window at all.

- You cannot translate other formats using T5.

Trados have just introduced the \'T-Window\' suite; in addition to \'T-Window for PowerPoint\', this includes an interface for Excel and the Windows clipboard. As far as I know it\'s a free download from www.translationzone.com for freelancers; users of T5 Team can get the download URL from Trados. No experience on using these tools so far.

Finally, with respect to the Word problem reported by \'xxxeurotransl\' (nice nick - beware of the connotation, though...*g*): I noticed the same bug, but you don\'t have to close the window - whilst deleting isn\'t possible, highlighting and just overtyping is. As to what can be done against it: same procedure as with every piece of software - unless you report bugs, they won\'t get fixed.

I know this won\'t be feasible for most freelancers, but I must add that the technical support I have under a support agreement is very good (I use them frequently, not because of bugs but to find workarounds or to get process flow recommendations). Now before everyone starts clobbering me, saying that this should all come for free: do you expect your car to be serviced for free, even if it works without fault?

Collapse

Valeri Serikov
Valeri Serikov  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:12
English to Russian
+ ...
Transit vs. Trados Dec 24, 2001

I have used Transit 3.0 Professional for a couple of years, now I bought Trados 5 Freelance. Due to lack of time, I haven\'t been able to evaluate it yet, but I think, Transit is the best bet for anything proposed so far (works seamlessly with ANY file format). Though, Trados developes at a much faster rate, so we will see. T-Window, for instance, makes it possible to translate the text, using clipboard contents (just imagine, almost any file can be processed this way!) Microsoft and lots of oth... See more
I have used Transit 3.0 Professional for a couple of years, now I bought Trados 5 Freelance. Due to lack of time, I haven\'t been able to evaluate it yet, but I think, Transit is the best bet for anything proposed so far (works seamlessly with ANY file format). Though, Trados developes at a much faster rate, so we will see. T-Window, for instance, makes it possible to translate the text, using clipboard contents (just imagine, almost any file can be processed this way!) Microsoft and lots of other renowned companies translate with Trados. So, the best way is to have both, I think.Collapse

Andrea Wells
Andrea Wells  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trados 5 Dec 27, 2001

Hi, I am considering buying Trados for the first time. Does anybody know how I can get a good deal? Is it worth buying it? Is Trados 3 better than Trados 5 or Cat? I would appreciate it if anybody can help me understand the difference between trados 5 and freelance.

Thanks in advance.

Saludos

Andrea

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:12
English to German
+ ...
Questions re: Trados 5 Dec 27, 2001

[quote]

>On 2001-12-27 02:58, Manuelita wrote:

>Hi, I am considering buying Trados for the >first time. Does anybody know how I can get >a good deal?

Have a look at www.translationzone.com for any special offers regarding the Freelance version.

>Is it worth buying it?

I\'d say yes, but as you can see in this thread (as well as in a few other discussions in this forum), opinions vary...

>Is Trados 3 better than Trados 5 or Cat?

Don\'t know what exactly you mean by \"Cat\" (I only know CAT as the acronym for \"computer-assisted translation [tools]\"), but Trados 5 is definitely better (what\'s more, T3 is no longer available...).

> I would appreciate it if anybody can help >me understand the difference between trados >5 and freelance.

Have a look at my posting in this thread (dated 17 Nov 2001); additional info should be available on the Trados website. T5 is available in two versions: Team and Freelance. IMHO there\'s no need to go for the Team edition unless you need project management functionality.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5 - comments

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »