Mobile menu

CAT tool recommendations
Thread poster: jaquifuchs

jaquifuchs  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:12
Italian to English
Mar 16, 2008

I have been asked to translate a 400 page book on the subject of business organization/management and would like some advice on the best Italian to English translation software to buy. Also, can anyone give me any advice on what I should charge for this work?
Many thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
CAT and machine translation are 2 different things Mar 17, 2008

Hi!

Congratulations, sounds like an interesting assignment. And yes, CAT tools are certainly a good decision. However, which tool you end up buying or trying does or at least should not depend on the language combination. You will basically have to build a database (or reference material in case of Star Transit) of your own translations from scratch.

Which tool you choose will depend on your way of working, whatever you feel comfortable with. I would advise you not to buy anything yet, but to try out different tools on a trial basis. Some of them come with trial licences for 1, 2 or even 3 months, which should even be enough for your 400 page book (look for Deja Vu X, MemoQ or Metatexis). And of course the material will not be lost after the trial licence has expired. In case you get stuck, you may even switch tools while you are on the project.

How much to charge will depend on the quantity measured in words, characters or lines. You might want to look at some translator profiles to find out how much your colleagues charge.

Good luck!
Wolfgang

jaquifuchs  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 18, 2008

Just a thank you to Wolfgang for his kind reply!

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
File format? Mar 18, 2008

jaquifuchs wrote:

I have been asked to translate a 400 page book on the subject of business organization/management and would like some advice on the best Italian to English translation software to buy. Also, can anyone give me any advice on what I should charge for this work?

Like Wolfgand said, the deciding factor is not the language pair (unless you were working with exotic scripts) but rather other factors.

For a start, in what file format will you get the source? A legacy word file can be opened by pretty much any CAT tool, whereas a file from Quark 7.0 om Mac would have much more specific requirements. Not to mention a handwritten book manuscript.

/J

[Edited at 2008-03-18 09:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool recommendations

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs