Mobile menu

Large autocad files and print sometimes under 4 pica cann´t be ocred
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
xxxBrandis
Local time: 11:02
English to German
+ ...
Mar 30, 2008

Hi! I have rec. a range of electronic drawings done in a CAD diagram and exported to .pdf file, the print is very small and the drawings very large. On the screen I can enlage the diagram and understand the print, but I cannot do any effective ocr and extract the text, it simply vanishes. I have tried various resolutions, the result is abolutely fatal. Does anyone know a work around and help me. Thank you in advance Brandis

Direct link Reply with quote

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 12:02
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
PrintScreen Mar 31, 2008

If the text is not that much, you could capture it from the screen via the PrintScreen key.
I suppose the text in the PDF is actually an image, not text, otherwise you should be able to copy it as text.

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 05:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pan, Zoom, Print current view, Size to page --> Print --> Scan -> OCR Mar 31, 2008

Brandis wrote:

Hi! I have rec. a range of electronic drawings done in a CAD diagram and exported to .pdf file, the print is very small and the drawings very large. On the screen I can enlage the diagram and understand the print.

In Acrobat Reader (maybe different in other softwares):

When you have the 'tiny text' on-screen (using pan) and large enough to read (using zoom), select Print - Current View - Zoom to fill page. Print it. Scan it like any other document and OCR.

Alternatively, if the small text is in several parts, you could try: Select image (just each 'tiny text' block), Copy, Paste into an image editor (I use PhotoImpact X3) and resize to a convenient size for OCRing; you could assemble several (all) blocks into a single image, save as .jpg (or whatever your OCR accepts), and OCR it.

HTH
MediaMatrix

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
does not helpl.. Apr 1, 2008

Halo bsb2, Using printscreen key would result in screen recording and I would have to do OCR again. I have now asked for a copy of the orinal autocad file, I hope the customer sends, things would be easier. Thank you Brandis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ mediamatrix Apr 1, 2008

Hi! Thank you, but that represents a lot of pre-processing, and the budget is very tight. May be I will leave the pre-processing to the customer, he says that the project goes for a full year. There should be some easier way to do this, only we do not know yet and the customer does not release the original autocad files. Thank you all the same. Brandis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It took 4 days and some working around... Apr 3, 2008

but I think I have found a solution. If you want to know I shall post it. Brandis

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 05:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, please tell us! Apr 3, 2008

Brandis wrote:
but I think I have found a solution. If you want to know I shall post it. Brandis

After all, other site users might have the same problem and it would be helpful to them, too. And we can see if your solution requires less budget-hungry pre-processing than the ideas from bsb_2 and myself.

MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large autocad files and print sometimes under 4 pica cann´t be ocred

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs