Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 05:12
Spanish
+ ...
Jun 5, 2008

The beta version of TO3000 9.0 is ready for download. I've been using it for a few days (with the demo database), and besides the looks of it (which I like), I don't see any major change. Besides, with the demo database, it's hard to fully try the new features. Maybe we can talk about them here.

From AIT:

Version 9.0

Build 9001 (Official Release):

- Custom fields in Jobs and Quotes for even more database customization. See Custom Fields topic for details.

- Mass action: quick generation of multiple Invoices and Payments. See Mass Action topic for details.

- Improved file manager: now with a few clicks all relevant folders (for example, all project folders of a given client) can be opened in the second field of Files tab. See Folder Navigation in TO3000, Version 9.0 topic for details.

- File management options in Edit Client job window.

- Built-in FTP client available directly on Files tab for quick access to Clients FTP folders. See FTP folders access topic for details.

- AnyCount 6.0: TO3000, Version 9.0 now features built-in bestselling AnyCount 6.0 text count engine. Numbers in AnyCount notes are now aligned into distinct columns. See AnyCount in TO3000, Version 9.0 topic for details.

- New version of reporting engine: - TO3000, Version 9.0 now features built-in latest FastReport 4.2 report compiling engine. See Example: creating a report topic for details.

- Wizards function introduced: New Client, Contact, Job, Service, Quote, Invoice can now be created from anywhere in TO3000, Version 9.0.

- Invoicing policy settings can be configured in the client's profile, providing the ability to track if a client job is ready for invoicing. See Invoicing policy of client topic for details.

- Last accessed folder on the Files tab is now remembered.

- All unfinished jobs can be automatically closed when closing the project.

- Phantom payment notes can now be added.

- Info notes can be now broken down by types.

- Apply button in all "edit" windows allows to immediately enter changes to the database without closing and re-opening the window.

- Job status filters available in schedules.

- CATCount can now process Logoport logs in addition to Trados logs. See CATCount in TO3000, Version 9.0 topic for details.

- Additional Project and Client Job statuses - "On Hold" and "Planned".

- Easy Project deletion, enabling all client jobs to be quickly deleted along with the project.

- Contact Photos picture size has been increased to 110x120 pixels. See Creating contacts topic for details.

- Localization support - TO3000, Version 9.0 can now be localized into your language.

Has anybody else tried it?

Neil Allen
Neil Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:12
French to English
Looks like the best got better Jun 15, 2008

I think it's a final release rather than a beta.

I installed it and looked at it for a couple of hours this afternoon. First impressions are very positive. I particularly like the ability to create invoices en masse, which is reason enough to upgrade as far as I am concerned.

I'll be putting it through its paces over the next couple of weeks...

Neil Allen
France
French to English
Mass invoicing: an important detail Jul 1, 2008

I'm afraid that for those of us who give a single monthly invoice to clients showing all that they have done during the month, the mass invoicing feature does not allow this to be done (unless you put it all on one project for each client).

Rather, it generates a single invoice for each PROJECT, unless you tell it to generate a single invoice for each JOB. So if you do ten projects for six different clients and give your clients an invoice at the end of the month and you generate th
... See more
I'm afraid that for those of us who give a single monthly invoice to clients showing all that they have done during the month, the mass invoicing feature does not allow this to be done (unless you put it all on one project for each client).

Rather, it generates a single invoice for each PROJECT, unless you tell it to generate a single invoice for each JOB. So if you do ten projects for six different clients and give your clients an invoice at the end of the month and you generate these "en masse", you end up with sixty different invoices, instead of just six. This is very unlikely to be what you want.

This is an important point to understand before clicking the "mass invoicing" button...

I have asked the development team if they would like to consider implementing mass generation of invoices giving a just a SINGLE invoice for each client.

Other than this disappointment, my experience using version 9 over the past couple of weeks has been entirely positive.
--
Neil
Collapse

Neil Allen
France
French to English
A methodology that seems to work well... Jul 1, 2008

Following a suggestion from TO3000's developers, a methodology which suits the way I work seems to be:

1) At the beginning of each month, create a single project for each client as they become active.
2) Add new jobs to each client's project as they come in (instead of creating a new project/job pair)

Then mass invoicing should work correctly.

This also removes the somewhat artificial (for me) distinction between a job and a project.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One invoice for all jobs Jul 1, 2008

Hi Neil,

I might be wrong, but I think there's a option to create one invoice per client for all jobs.

Edit: Thank you for your comments.

[Edited at 2008-07-01 14:29]

Neil Allen
France
French to English
invoice per job Jul 2, 2008

Hi Claudia,

There is an option to create "one client job per invoice", but, although I haven't tested it, I think it just creates a separate invoice for each job, thus multiplying the number of invoices even more. If I'm missing something here, could you point it out?

Neil Allen
France
French to English
Project/Job structure Jul 2, 2008

I am interested to know of any solutions that people may have come up with to work around the Project/Job structure that was introduced in version 8 and continues in version 9. While I understand that this introduces greater flexibility, it also introduces an extra layer of complexity, and for those who don't need it, it requires the creation of a project/job pair where a single entity would logically be sufficient.

It seems that there are two main solutions:

1) Create
... See more
I am interested to know of any solutions that people may have come up with to work around the Project/Job structure that was introduced in version 8 and continues in version 9. While I understand that this introduces greater flexibility, it also introduces an extra layer of complexity, and for those who don't need it, it requires the creation of a project/job pair where a single entity would logically be sufficient.

It seems that there are two main solutions:

1) Create a project/job pair every time, thus requiring a duplication of effort when opening/closing projects.

2) Create a single project for each client and add jobs to it as they come in.

While (2) successfully eliminates the project layer, it also means that all jobs go into the root project directory, which might make things hard to find after a while. It also goes against the design logic of TO3000 and means that an ever-growing number of open-ended projects will come into existence.

A compromise solution would be to create a new project for each client for the current month, and add all jobs for the current month to the project. This keeps all the jobs under the folder for that client/month, making them easy to find in future. It avoids "open-ended" projects. It also means that the "mass invoicing" feature of version 9 works correctly, producing invoices for all jobs done in the past month, producing just one invoice per client/project. And if you ever do need the flexibility of creating a project/job pair, you can still do it.

I am interested in any comments/suggestions about any other ways of organising the project/job structure that people may use under TO3000, so if you have any suggestions about THE definitive way to do this, please post them here!
Collapse

Neil Allen
France
French to English
Mass payments feature -- erroneous "help" documentation Jul 3, 2008

The documentation for the new "Mass payments from clients" feature is highly confusing and contains errors.

The following are answers to my questions to support about this:

> Why should PURCHASE ORDERS be generated if this is to handle incoming payments related to invoices?
You are right. Payments related to invoices will be generated, but not purchase orders.

> Why are FREELANCERS involved -- does TO3000 now handle them, as well as clients?
Thi
... See more
The documentation for the new "Mass payments from clients" feature is highly confusing and contains errors.

The following are answers to my questions to support about this:

> Why should PURCHASE ORDERS be generated if this is to handle incoming payments related to invoices?
You are right. Payments related to invoices will be generated, but not purchase orders.

> Why are FREELANCERS involved -- does TO3000 now handle them, as well as clients?
This is our omission. TO3000 does not handle freelancers. In this help section “next to each freelancer” should be replaced with “next to each client”.

> I can't find the "Payments to Clients" window -- does it exist?
“Payments from Clients” window is a correct variant.

This information might prevent others from being as confused as I was when I first looked at this new feature
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jul 3, 2008

Thank you very much for all your feedback Neil. It's certainly very helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TO3000, Version 9.0

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »