Mobile menu

Audio recording software: any recommendations?
Thread poster: Jennifer Barnett

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 11, 2008

Greetings all,

I have been taping texts onto cassettes for a blind student and now have switched to digital recordings in mp3 format.

I am looking for audio recording software that enables corrections to be carried out immediately as one can with a cassette recording by stopping, going back, correcting and then going on with the recording. I use Audacity 1.2.6 (freeware) but it is not possible to stop, edit and then continue recording without another track being created.

It must also be possible to 'bookmark' chapters and pages.

Now I leave a space to mark the error, make the correction and carry on. After stopping the recording, I go back and cut out the error along with the big space. The result is good but it takes a lot of time. By comparison, using cassettes was much faster. Trouble is, I am still paid the same rate as for cassettes as the employer thinks that digital recording should be as quick. Hah! It seems to be as 'bad' as digital photography turned out to be - more fiddling about.

Any suggestions, also for increasing efficiency, would be greatly appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:57
English to Slovak
+ ...
Cool Record Edit Pro Jun 11, 2008

I got it some time ago from "Giveaway of the day" for nothing and I love it. It cost $29.95, but I think it's worth if you are using it a lot.

http://www.coolrecordedit.com/index.html

Rad

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
Podcast? Jun 11, 2008

I think it could be a nice Podcast project.

I use Garage Band (Mac), for Windows I don't now but surely are lots of applications for podcasting.

Take a "goog" on the net.

Regards

Create chapters, publish it in iTunes and then it can be downloaded with a iPod or simply copy&paste into any mp3 player.

Regards

Fernando

www.lenguatik.com

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Soundforge Audio Studio Jun 11, 2008

This is the light version of Sony Sound Forge. The cost is not prohibitive (ca. 30 EUR) and editing capabilities are quite extensive.

By "correcting", I assume you mean making a mistake while reading, stopping the recording, deleting the mistake and rereading the text again, appending it to the existing sound file?

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/soundforgefamily.asp

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Options with Audacity Jun 11, 2008

Even though there are multiple tracks, you can still export them into a single mp3 file using the "Quick Mix" command under the "Project" menu. Another option, if there are not too many tracks, is to copy from the later tracks and paste them onto the first track.

Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:57
Partial member
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Audacity Jun 11, 2008

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Free and powerful audio editor. I recommend it.

Jennifer Barnett  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you everyone for your suggestions Jun 13, 2008

The quick mix option on Audacity (big thanks to GoodWords) has saved the day.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Audio recording software: any recommendations?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs