Thread poster: Antje Schadebrodt
Antje Schadebrodt
Antje Schadebrodt  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:14
French to German
+ ...
Jul 2, 2008

Hello,

I am to translate an InDesign file. As I want to process it in DVX I have exported the document as an .inx file. Unfortunately 90% of all the graphics disappeared. Could it be linked to the fact that on opening the original .idd file in InDesign I got an error message that I was missing links? If that is correct will the graphics be restored when the reconverted file is opened on the clients computer with all the necessary links?

Thanks.

Best regards
... See more
Hello,

I am to translate an InDesign file. As I want to process it in DVX I have exported the document as an .inx file. Unfortunately 90% of all the graphics disappeared. Could it be linked to the fact that on opening the original .idd file in InDesign I got an error message that I was missing links? If that is correct will the graphics be restored when the reconverted file is opened on the clients computer with all the necessary links?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Antje

[Edited at 2008-07-02 16:12]
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 07:14
English to Greek
+ ...
Exactly right Jul 2, 2008

In DTP programs, graphics are linked to the layout and if the links break, they show an error.

The good thing is that they can be reconnected without any trouble by whoever designed the layout, so I wouldn't worry.

Lina

Ville Kilkku (X)
Ville Kilkku (X)
Local time: 07:14
English to Finnish
+ ...
Original file contained preview versions of the graphics Jul 2, 2008

Angeliki's answer is perfectly correct.

I'd like to add that in InDesign, preview versions of the graphics are often saved in the indd document. This means that while you get the link errors because you do not have the original graphics files, you can still see low resolution versions of the graphics on your screen. These preview versions are not saved in the inx export, and therefore they disappear when the inx is reopened.

However, because the linked files exist on t
... See more
Angeliki's answer is perfectly correct.

I'd like to add that in InDesign, preview versions of the graphics are often saved in the indd document. This means that while you get the link errors because you do not have the original graphics files, you can still see low resolution versions of the graphics on your screen. These preview versions are not saved in the inx export, and therefore they disappear when the inx is reopened.

However, because the linked files exist on the customer's computer, the file will look just fine when opened by the customer. And of course, if the links are actually broken, relinking the original graphics is simple and takes only a few seconds.
Collapse

Antje Schadebrodt
Antje Schadebrodt  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:14
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much both of you. Jul 2, 2008

I will explain this to the client.

Have a wonderful evening.

Antje

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

InDesign: Graphics disappeared after export as .inx file

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »