https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/110776-bookmark_synchronizer_for_two_computers_running_firefox.html

Bookmark synchronizer for two computers running Firefox
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Jul 22, 2008

I recently bought a new computer. I have Firefox 3.0.1 on both of them. I was about a fifth of the way through laboriously setting up my bookmarks from the old computer on the new one manually, when in search of something else on Google, I came across freeware called Foxmatch. I don't think it comes from Mozilla itself. The URL for downloading it is http://www.foxmarks.com/
I installed and ran it on b
... See more
I recently bought a new computer. I have Firefox 3.0.1 on both of them. I was about a fifth of the way through laboriously setting up my bookmarks from the old computer on the new one manually, when in search of something else on Google, I came across freeware called Foxmatch. I don't think it comes from Mozilla itself. The URL for downloading it is http://www.foxmarks.com/
I installed and ran it on both computers, and it transferred all my bookmarks from the old computer to the new one. It will now synchronize the bookmarks so that anything I bookmark on one computer will be bookmarked on the other.
I feel it has saved me hours of laborious work, so I thought it was worth recommending.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:07
English to Turkish
+ ...
importing and exporting bookmarks Jul 22, 2008

I know synchronization is something different but if you only want to transfer your bookmarks to a new computer, the procedure is as follows:

To export bookmarks:
Bookmarks > Organise Bookmarks... > File > Export... >
Save as html

To import bookmarks:
Bookmarks > Organise Bookmarks... > File > Import... >

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Can't find File in Organise Bookmarks Jul 22, 2008

I don't need to export Bookmarks now, of course, Foxmatch has done that, but I tried to follow your recommendations just to see how it could have been done. It's slightly different in my Firefox 3.0.1 Organise Bookmarks, where the menu to use is called Import & Backup, with sub-menus Backup, Restore, Import HTML and Export HTML.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Different version Jul 22, 2008

Sorry.
My version is 2.0.0.16

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:07
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Thank you Jack, this is really smart! Jul 25, 2008

I always used to fiddle around with my two computers, each time I needed my laptop and then when I got back to my desktop, in order to keep my bookmarks synchronised. In this way, it's done automatically - and no fiddling around any more! Very cute!

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
it's easy with Mozilla Jul 29, 2008

With Mozilla (Firefox and Thunderbird), all you need to do is copy the profiles folder on your old computer and drop it into the same place on your new computer. Everything will be transferred, booksmarks, password, security settings, emails(for Thunderbirds) etc...

The profile folder is usually located on C:\Documents and Settings\$your user name$\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Just another way.

To sync files on two compuers, I use Microsoft S
... See more
With Mozilla (Firefox and Thunderbird), all you need to do is copy the profiles folder on your old computer and drop it into the same place on your new computer. Everything will be transferred, booksmarks, password, security settings, emails(for Thunderbirds) etc...

The profile folder is usually located on C:\Documents and Settings\$your user name$\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

Just another way.

To sync files on two compuers, I use Microsoft SyncToy (free download). Works great.
Collapse

Callmeaspade
Callmeaspade  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Another approach Jul 30, 2008

is to use an online bookmarking service. Del.icio.us, for instance, has an option to import bookmarks from your browser, and I assume a bunch of alternative online tools should be able to do it.

The nice thing is that you have to import once and then get all your bookmarks on any computer you happen to use.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bookmark synchronizer for two computers running Firefox

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »