https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/111833-predictive_text_software_for_computers.html

Predictive Text Software for Computers?
Thread poster: Timothy Miller
Timothy Miller
Timothy Miller
Local time: 05:39
Japanese to English
Aug 5, 2008

I have been wondering about this for a while, and I am curious to know if their are any predictive text software applications, similar to those used in basically every cell phone these days, that are available for download to a computer (specially a mac?). The reason I ask is that I do not currently use a CAT tool, and while I understand their benefits, sometimes I wonder how much they would actually benefit me in the kind of translations I do (generally short patent translations, in which whil... See more
I have been wondering about this for a while, and I am curious to know if their are any predictive text software applications, similar to those used in basically every cell phone these days, that are available for download to a computer (specially a mac?). The reason I ask is that I do not currently use a CAT tool, and while I understand their benefits, sometimes I wonder how much they would actually benefit me in the kind of translations I do (generally short patent translations, in which while there are fragment repetitions, in a short patent, their may only be about 5 or something...so is it even worth it?). BUT, I like the idea of increasing productivity with the features of a CAT tool, and one major way in which I feel like I could increase my productivity is by being able to type faster with a text prediction software. Specifically, I wish there was a program that would predict the words that I have typed thus far within one document, so I don't have to keep typing the same super long term for a word (not a whole phrase) that is repeated in the text again and again. This would improve my speed and accuracy within a document!

Has anyone else ever thought that this kind of software would really help you out? Anyone know if it might exist?

Thanks for thinking about it!
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:39
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
One I know of Aug 5, 2008

Is LetMeType

http://www.clasohm.com/lmt/en/

I confess I don't know anything about Macs.

Uldis

Timothy Miller wrote:

I have been wondering about this for a while, and I am curious to know if their are any predictive text software applications, similar to those used in basically every cell phone these days, that are available for download to a computer (specially a mac?).

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:39
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
OpenOffice has this feature built-in Aug 5, 2008

I use mainly OpenOffice Writer as a text editor and it has a built-in feature called "Word Completion". First it collects all typed words above some (user-specified) length and then suggests words from the list it had gathered so far. The main problem is that the list can't be saved for later use. There is a workaround for that as well - one just opens a document with the needed terms, waits for the application to generate the list and then starts writing the new document.
The main advanta
... See more
I use mainly OpenOffice Writer as a text editor and it has a built-in feature called "Word Completion". First it collects all typed words above some (user-specified) length and then suggests words from the list it had gathered so far. The main problem is that the list can't be saved for later use. There is a workaround for that as well - one just opens a document with the needed terms, waits for the application to generate the list and then starts writing the new document.
The main advantage of Word Completion in Writer as opposed to AutoComplete in MS Word is that Writer gathers text automatically, where in AutoComplete one needs to enter words by hand.
I've been using Word Completion for all my texts written in Writer and I find it generally quite handy.
Since OpenOffice is free, you can download it and give it a try.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Predictive Text Software for Computers?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »